Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Small Solar powered A/C?
jrbarnard
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 14:55

So.. don't laugh.. heh

We can hunt all year around in SW Texas, and I love taking my wife along, but at 105 degrees, it can really be hot...

So.. was curious if there is any sort of small A/C unit that can be set up fairly cheap with a solar setup for a 6x8x8 deer stand.

I mean, if we are gonna dream.. why not dream big, right?;)

Just figured to ask the experts!

Russ

Steve961
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 15:29

Russ:

The most energy efficient air conditioners suitable for solar power are the Panasonic (Sanyo) Mini Splits. Even so, the cost of a solar system to run one will be comparatively high. Any chance you could use one of the quieter Honda inverter generators to power it? Maybe add an insulated generator shed to make it even quieter when hunting.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 15:55

yea, the noise they make may make it not worth it, for hunting.

Not a huge deal. I think a fan alone might be enough to keep a breeze going and the hot air blown out.

I just wanted to see if there was a fancy schmancy way, but I think the stuff I am locating is pretty much saying no.. heh

There were some that SEEMED cool... but they ran on ice. Well, if it is 105.. I am not carrying 30lbs of ice with me each time I go to the stand... lol

Maybe, if I had a 300yr shot and the fan would not bother the animals, but at 100-125 yards, they won't like the sound of an a/c.

Thank you though!

Russ

ICC
# Posted: 25 Jul 2013 18:48

The Sanyo/Panasonic are not noisy. Note this, from the guy who did the first off grid installation....
"When you stand by the outdoor unit and can hear the water drops over the compressor sound it is an amazing slice of technology. I rate this up there in the top 5 best things I have ever bought! "

That is with the unit not running full blast. I agree as I have the same setup. Works great with a tracking solar array. Not cheap though.

creeky
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 08:14

i have a small ac window unit running on solar. one of the new ones. sure it makes noise. (so cool that they spray the condensate from the humidity on the compressor now to cool it down) but when it's hot and sticky outside at least I can escape to the studio for some cool relaxation.
i have a 1kw system. i wait until my batteries are charged and then set it on econo mode, full time. or run it at full blast for 1/2 hr. it only draws 490 at max and the fan doesn't even register on the inverter. so it runs for free.

Martian
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 09:13

I think it is Adler-Barbour that used to make a 12 volt 5000BTU unit that is also a refrigerator unit. It was made for boats, but.... It drew something like 7amps DC. If you didn't need the refrigerator, you could run just an evaporator coil off one of their standard compressors. It shouldn't be hard to set up, either. I don't know if they still make them, but you could buy a compressor unit and get an A/C person to match an evaporator to it if they don't.

Tom

WY_mark
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 10:52

how high is your humidity when you want to be running this? you might look into an evaporative cooler. WAY WAY less power, absolutely delightful in a dry environment.

groingo
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 15:59

I just got one for my cabin though I am not using solar it would do well with a 1000 or 2000 watt generator as this AC uses only 445 watts max and is nothing special not even Energy Star approved.

It's just a plane Jane Frigidaire 5000 BTU window mount AC which easily handles my massive 195 square feet of living space.

Another nice surprise is it is very quiet and has an ingeniously simple and effective air directional control, glad my Haier AC died now!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.