Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Buyer Beware Westinghouse Portable Generator Scam
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 19:08

YIKES!!!! What have I wandered into?!

Does Honda make a propane generator? If not, can anyone recommend a good one? I saw a Generac at Home Depot that I really liked and got good reviews online but I see here that they're not good.

I do need propane. I don't have much in the way of services near me but there IS a propane refilling place just 7 miles from my land. Plus, I don't want to store gasoline, as I would have to do in the winter when the roads can get icy on the mountain.

groingo
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 19:38 - Edited by: groingo

Depends on which Honda you have in mind but there are a lot of aftermarket kits for them or you might talk to your propane provider or even a local Honda dealer, it's a common conversion.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 19:56

Neither Honda or Yamaha sell generators ready to run propane. Google will find a host of companies that sell conversion kits.

A friend who designs/sells PV systems uses Hondas from these folks. They do the conversion and sell it ready to go; a turn key solution. They can run propane, natural gas or gasoline. Handy.

Check on who honors the warranty as Honda and Yamaha both, to my best knowledge, will not warrant their generators that have been converted. Maybe it's the dealer themselves who do the warranty. That could be inconvenient at best.

Note that a propane fueled generator uses more gallons per hour than it would on gasoline because there is less energy in a gallon of propane compared to gasoline. There are advantages though.

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 20:01

Also be aware that propane doesn't like cold weather. The colder it gets the slower the propane changes from a liquid to a gas. That may not be a factor with a small generator because the demand may be low enough. However, things that use large volumes of propane may not get enough fuel from small portable cylinders when the tanks get cold and partially empty (high powered water heaters for example).

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 20:17

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
I do need propane. I don't have much in the way of services near me but there IS a propane refilling place just 7 miles from my land. Plus, I don't want to store gasoline, as I would have to do in the winter when the roads can get icy on the mountain.

Julie, the big Genrac unit, run by propane from a large tank would be the way to go. Full power, controlled at your fingertips inside in the comforts of your warm home.

http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 23:27

Toyota, Isn't that grid-tie? I couldn't use it to charge my solar power batteries, or could I?

MtnDon, Yeah, I don't want to void the warranty with a conversion unless I have some other sort of warranty or guarantee. Thanks for the link!

Groingo, I will check with a Honda dealer, too. Thanks for the idea!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 19:31

It can be as back up to a house tied onto the grid or sole source of power or supplemental source for power, IE in addition to solar. Nice thing about propane, it doesn't go bad, no carbs to gum up from long term no use. It can be used for charging battery's plus doing all your heavy stuff, ie washing and drying a load of clothes etc. The stand by system is large and overkill for a supplemental system. But a cool set up to have. But with propane, you could go to a gas dryer, and of course, gas oven, gas cooktop and gas heating. Especially if a tank is already in place. That saves electricity too.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 04:23

Ya hear so many stories of the crap they make. I try to avoid their stuff.

Next thing ya know, they're spamming small cabin web sites with commercial steel buildings and data center rack mounts. Sheesh.

old greybeard
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 07:20

Generac is a quality generator, you won't be sorry. Champion is a level down. But they have good support, which combined with very reasonable prices is going to keep them around for a while.
If you are rich buy a Honda, but we've had issues with a 2.5k unit at work and I've had friends who have had top do multiple repairs on theirs, they aren't perfect.
Good luck finding a USA or even Japan made motor, I just bought a new snowblower and every motor seems to be Chinese made. Hope that changes as I hate buying things made with slave labor.

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 07:40

Well I have a Champion 7200/9000 which has served me well for 2 years of construction & "hard labour" without a single hitch. Can't say I have any complaints with it other than it's loud BUT it is my construction Genny so it is a part of that "Orchestra of Sounds" LOL.

My little King Canada 3kw Inverter Genny has also been very reliable and hard working in it's own right and the only real complaint I have with it, is that it's a PITA to change the oil in (you have to use an extender tube which they supply to drain the oil).

OF NOTE which is important to all Generators & small power equipment, timely oil changes & maintenance MUST be religiously followed ! I am running them on Pure Synthetic Oil (0w40) which certainly makes a difference. They work hard to earn their keep.

Seems that Champion has stepped up to the plate again with their own 3.2 Kw Inverter Genny which is also linkable at pretty good price point. They now also have a full range of backup gennies that run Propane & Gas.

REF:
http://www.championpowerequipment.com/for-home/home-standby/

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/inverters/

and the King Canada one I have:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=417&ID=21934

groingo
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 15:50

I am truly impressed....a 3 year old thread and it's not even pinned!

hamish
# Posted: 10 Dec 2016 23:19

Well I am somewhat confused.......

You never bought the product, nor did you buy any replacement parts, or get any actual service...........
What is your gripe?

groingo
# Posted: 11 Dec 2016 00:35 - Edited by: groingo

Did own one but after encountering problems and fictional support dealers bought a Yamaha and have had no problems and a real support network.
Now three years later because the solar is working properly I no longer need a generator for backup....how times have changed.

litebeam
# Posted: 19 Dec 2016 17:11

I'm brand new here, found this site this morning when searching for parts for my Westinghouse WH2400i.
The thread is SPOT ON.

The Westinghouse WH2400I invertor/generator, is a great little unit, but unfortunately mine got dropped off a little trailer when I hit a bump taking it to the back 40--just dumb on my part.
It still runs fine but needs a couple of plastic pieces to look 100% again.
I called Westinghouse today and they simply told me to DISPOSE OF THE UNIT AND BUY ANOTHER because NO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE.
Seriously? Are they out of their minds?
I'll keep the unit and run it with the broken panels, as I said, it's a sweet runner, but it won't be repaired as they offer NO RECOURSE SHOULD THEY NEED REPAIR/PARTS.

Defies belief.

litebeam
# Posted: 19 Dec 2016 17:57

I'll add here I also have the Westinghouse WH7500E and it's a nice unit...solid and dependable and has a great service network if needed.
So far, it's been excellent.

The parts/service problem is with their small invertor units.

litebeam
# Posted: 20 Dec 2016 13:22 - Edited by: litebeam

Okay, some updates here...
I called APelectric....to my knowledge the largest internet supplier of portable generators in the country. I bought my WH7500e there and the experience was excellent.
I reasoned that they sell the Wh2400i there and it would be in their best interest to know that the machine that they are selling 'has no parts or service' availability. I DID NOT buy my small invertor from them, and I told them that, so this was a shot in the dark.
The head of the APelectric company promptly called me this morning and went to work to sort out the details with this situation. He forwarded my concerns about lack of parts to AWS--a company that deals with Westpro to resolve warranty issues, machine exchanges and parts request situations.
AWS called me soon after and we talked about the machine and what is available. They promptly took my parts order and will be forwarding tracking information soon.

Total professionalism all the way around.

To be sure, I was told that PARTS ARE LIMITED. For the prices that are advertised on these machines,--I paid $515 (!) for my WH2400i from Woot, an overstock company--the logic to repair these things for catastrophic stuff is simply cost prohibitive. But some parts are available, the number I was given is 888-980-4934, this is for Westinghouse parts and service. This number should help with Westinghouse 2000/2400 invertor parts/service needs.
I really like the little 2400i, for the money it's a stellar product. In many ways it outperforms the excellent little Honda--output/economy/decibels etc.--I didn't want to spend twice the money on a Honda, I simply didn't have it at the time.

Hope this helps. One thing is for sure, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I wasn't about to lay down with this situation. I actually got some answers and from some good, concerned guys.

litebeam
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 14:28

Well, looks like no one here at this forum cares about this situation.
But whatever the case, I'll post this as it may help those who google these generators and parts/repairs and end up here as I did originally.
Tt has been a rat race getting a simple part for this machine.
The warranty company AWS parted ways with Westinghouse on 3/1/17 due to lack of communication. AWS had wanted me to send in my entire unit for exchange over a simple plastic grille part.
I wouldn't do it knowing that somehow they might refuse the machine leaving me stuck.

AVOID these machines if long term use is the goal, they run great and are fine for the money, but after purchase support and simple parts are simply NONEXISTENT.

Wilbour
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 17:33

Quoting: litebeam

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 23:46

Quoting: litebeam

litebeam, you bet I do. I have been a Honda guy, I have posted in numerous threads in the cabin form and groingo mentioned the same thign you found out. I dont think this situation is limited to Westinghouse either, but many generators. Mainly made in China. They are all tooled up to produce goods, but not in the parts or service business at all.

A trip to the Honda dealer or a good online search will net you an EU2000i for around $950 and you will throw rocks at everything else plus a great network of service centers and actual parts and parts that will be available for 20 yrs or better. Honda parts are very reasonable in price too.

f15epilot
# Posted: 26 Dec 2017 12:37

I bought an original WH2000iXLT from H-Depot...four and a half years ago. I use it semi-regularly (about once a quarter) as a backup to my RV genset while dry-camping, mostly at NASCAR events (staying infield). The ONLY time it has ever had an issue was when I neglected to Stabilize the gas and let it sit for three months w/o starting it. Like the gensets on RVs (and motors on single-engine airplanes), you HAVE to exercise these generators regularly. Letting them sit, especially with ethanol-enhanced gasoline, will result in carburetor fouling whether they are Honda, Yamaha, Westinghouse, Lifan, or any manufacturer, made in the USA or otherwise. Similarly, if you drop them off your trailer, bounce them around, or otherwise use the equipment in a manner for which it was not designed, then you will damage the item. My WH2000 still starts on the second pull after sitting (first when warm); I just ran it for maintenance this weekend. As for their service department, I called the number on the internet and was connected to a knowledgable engineer who was able to discuss parallel capabilities of the unit. My unit came out before they offered a parallel cable; he confirmed it will also parallel to any of the WH or iGen series.

My take would be that buying a generator should be like buying any piece of equipment: establish your requirements, set your budget, then get the piece of equipment that meets your requirements AND is within budget. If you expect to need repair because of the environment; or you expect rough treatment; or you value 100% access to repair parts/labor...then only buy items that meet those elements. For me, I don't abuse my generator and I am fairly handy/mechanical. For the price of the Honda or Yamaha 2k genset, I now have two WH models that can be paralleled for 30amp service and provide redundant 2k power if run solo.

And if calling a product by a traditional 'American' brand when it is manufactured overseas is a SCAM, then GM, Ford and Dodge are scammers since most of their vehicles are manufactured outside the US (e.g., Mexico, Canada or Europe) while Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Honda are Japanese/Korean/European branded vehicles that are made in the USA.

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 27 Dec 2017 10:14

I bought Westinghouse i2400. And couldn't be more satisfied. I understand honda and yamaha is better but at a price. The generator is good and only requires fuel and oil change, has been working for 2 years no problem. It starts 1-2 pull except in freezing temperatures then a few more pulls. It cost around $600 so I could've almost had 2 for the price of Honda. It has 1900 running watts so it is more powerful. And lastly its a cabin generator so just in case of theft less loss. I would still buy Honda for my house tho, but for a weekend cabin why spend money when you can get quality for less money and it doesnt get used 24/7.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Dec 2017 15:48

When buying piles of junk, its always nice to have a spare for parts or for when the other quits. But myself, I'd rather pay a good price for one top quality u nit, not have to lug around the "parts generator/back up generator" and just have one super nice, reliable dependable generator with a massive network of dealers and parts available decades after it was sold. But that's just me.

Pacificnomad
# Posted: 15 Nov 2018 11:23

I recently purchased a Westinghouse 7500 dual fuel. It quit running after 100 or so hours. I am now in an endless loop of even trying to speak to someone. A previous inquiry led to this response....check your manual. Not at all happy, but trying to give them a fair opportunity to make it right.

rayyy
# Posted: 16 Nov 2018 08:17

Here we are now approaching 2019 and there are more of these cheap Chinese generators on the market than ever befor. You can even find them in a grocery store. I still say for folks seriously living off the grid,I swear by Honda.I am on my third eu2000i.Don't get me wrong, they still wear out with time and yes,they are twice the money but I run mine at least 8 to 12 hours each and every day and get 4 or 5 years of flawless running time with regular maintenance,pluss,you can set them up on an external 5 gaiion gas can and never have to take the gas cap off and manually fill the gas tank.You just swap out the empty gas can with a full one.

offgrididaho
# Posted: 16 Nov 2018 10:39

Going back to questions about propane generators, keep in mind the dual fuel gens (that can run on unleaded or propane) are generally rated for lower output (sometimes significantly so) when run on propane.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Nov 2018 12:24

Quoting: rayyy
I run mine at least 8 to 12 hours each and every day

rayyy. time for a solar system. geez.

darz5150
# Posted: 26 Jul 2019 23:03

Quoting: Starlight
soundproof type

Solar panels. Very quiet.

AffordableDCGenerators
# Posted: 27 Jul 2019 10:32

I would just try to stick with a product that has good parts availability and are universal. Generac makes their own engines but they tend to kill parts after a short amount of time.

I would be looking at something with a Honda, Briggs, Kohler engine. Chances are the alternator is a Chinese unit but most are common across many brands anyway on portable units.

I do like the Winco units because they tend to use readily available components.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2019 08:25

Unless your going to buy a honda, yamaha or over top end generator its going to be a chinese throw away unit. "Assembled in USA" dosnt mean anything to me becids chinese parts.

In my area there are tons of 3500-7000w generstors for sale with very few hours for under $200. People move, dont use them or just want the money and sell them off.

groingo
# Posted: 6 Aug 2019 22:14

rayyy,
My god, I remember when you bought your second Honda.....you really need to get solar like creeky said, hey, if I can make solar work at my location....anyone can!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.