Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Desulfators? Necessary or not?
ClimberKev
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 12:26

I recently added a BLS 12V desulfator to my (7) battery bank. From what I've seen on YouTube it seemed like a good idea. The science seems sound and anything that extends battery life has to be good... right? I use a Phocos charge controller and just wonder if the desulfator is redundant.

Anyone have any experience with desulfators and solar banks?

ClimberKev
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 12:30

BLS 12V...
BLS_12V.jpg
BLS_12V.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 13:05

Depends on how the batteries are treated in their normal day to day use. Meet the following conditions and you do not need the extra equipment and extra expense, IMO.

The batteries are never deeply discharged.

The batteries are never left discharged for more than overnight...
... that is, if the batteries are recharged fully every day (fully charged with a three stage controller that reaches float charge every day).

The battery plates are never exposed to air (never let the electrolyte level fall below plate tops).

The batteries are never overheated in charging or discharging.

The batteries are equalized as necessary... when low or wide ranging specific gravity (+/- .015) is detected between cells after fully charging a battery.

If all that is too hard to accomplish a desulfator might help. But I seriously doubt you will get the same life from the batteries as you would if they were treated better in the first place.

redbeard
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 22:39

I cant even say it....must not need it

ClimberKev
# Posted: 19 Jan 2018 12:34

Four+ years later my battery bank is still going strong. I haven't performed any testing on the batteries but the lights, composting toilet, and TV are still running (mostly weekends). My previous bank of marine batteries lasted about 7 years...we'll see. I also recently added a PowerPulse desulfator to my two back up batteries. If the desulfators can add a few extra years they're worth it in my mind.
Batteries.jpg
Batteries.jpg
Panels.jpg
Panels.jpg
System.jpg
System.jpg

ILFE
# Posted: 19 Jan 2018 14:23

Quoting: ClimberKev
I also recently added a PowerPulse desulfator to my two back up batteries.

Whether or not battery desulfators work, has been a major debate for ages. Some people claim they work, while others, like me, see them as nothing but snake oil.

I have yet to see verifiable results from them being used on a battery bank. MtnDon said it right:

Quoting: MtnDon
Depends on how the batteries are treated in their normal day to day use. Meet the following conditions and you do not need the extra equipment and extra expense, IMO.

NorthRick
# Posted: 19 Jan 2018 18:20

What's powering the desulfator? The batteries being desulfated?

ILFE
# Posted: 20 Jan 2018 08:22

Quoting: NorthRick
What's powering the desulfator? The batteries being desulfated?

Yep. Directly connected to the batteries.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 10:18

Well, now up to almost 7 years on main battery bank of seven Walmart marine batteries. The back up bank of two marine batteries is also still working. No real testing of their capacities. Lights, DVD/TV, composting toilet fan all seem to working fine. I’m now doing more extended (multiple week) stays vs. weekend visits. I did upgrade to MPPT charge controllers a couple years ago.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 15:43

From what I understand of how they work they just put out a higher voltage to kind of shock the lead plates so the junk falls off.

There are other battery chargers that you can raise the voltage.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.