Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane Refrigerator
RCaz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 13:26

Does anyone have experience with a Koolatron Two Way Refrigerator?
I puruchased one yesterday from Home Depot, was on clearance for $200.00, normally $999.00. Couldn't pass up the price, just hope it is a good fridge.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 14:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

I have never seen a Koolatron propane refrigerator; just electric.

I have seen Koolatron coolers and small refrigerators. http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/compact-refrigeration.html

I've also never seen a Koolatron product with a price of $999. Are we looking at the same things?

RCaz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 15:53

Don, I have attached a picture of it. I wasn't able to find it online...
Propane_Refrigerator.jpg
Propane_Refrigerator.jpg

glacierdigital
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 10:56

I've been thinking of getting one from these guys: http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com/en-Ca/Products/Product-Line-up_/Propane-Refrigerators.ht ml.

Has anyone ever dealt with them? Or should I stick with Koolatron? I'm a bit of a newb :-S

cman47c
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 12:44

I have had a bad experience with EZ Freeze propane fridge in my friends cabin. We have been using this cabin for 10 years and even though we have CO detectors they had never gone off. Brought in a newer but not brand new EZFreeze and within 2 weeks the CO detector was going off intermittantly. My friend thought the CO Monitor was bad but I said not to play around with this and we bought a new CO detector. That night all the CO detectors went off. I knew something was not right and opened all doors/windows. I was not aware of how propane fridge worked but we had a propane repairmen come and he said fridge burner pipe was corroded causing flakes of rust to clog burner and make poor combustion and he noted that this must be cleaned regularly. Just a note of caution as this is a major source of CO.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 13:18

Quoting: cman47c
he said fridge burner pipe was corroded causing flakes of rust to clog burner and make poor combustion and he noted that this must be cleaned regularly.

That applies to any propane refrigerator, not just that brand. So do not take that experience as that brand being inferior. That was likely the reason that one was sold as used; maybe they didn't look into repairs or maybe just needed an excuse for a new fridge.

I can point to a friend in CA who has had a Unique for a half dozen years with no issues that I have heard of. We have a Servel that is several years old. I know of other Servels that are 25 years old and still working. I just never knew Koolatron made propane units. Basically the absorption fridges are very much the same as to their 'guts'. I believe CrystalCold is just a GE or some other brand box with the propane fueled absorption equipment added. They are all expensive. The Koolatron is a terrific buy at $200. Wish I knew more about them; is it the same company as the electrothermal units??

davey25
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 14:36

I had a servel it worked fine..about 60 years old..i now have a unique ..had it approx 5 years with no issues...seems like if that fridge is the right size for you then 200 is a great deal, and yes 999 would be the original price...just remember as the outside temp fluctuates adjust your temp control to compensate.. sometimes its 30 degrees outside then a few weeks later its 10, you will notice it..

RCaz
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 12:41

I'm not sure if they are the same compnay Don. Thanks guys for the information...I was just a little concerned when I couldn't find this specific fridge on line. I did get a 3 year extended warranty for 50.00 so should be good for at least that long!

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 08:07

Iv'e got a Koolatron 12 volt small cooler.$200 bucks for that propane frig is the find of the decade,RCaz.

RCaz
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 11:28

Thanks rayyy, I tested it out yesterday and is running fine. Will be taking it up to the cabin this weekend.

rayyy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 18:40

A propane frig of that size is a thousand bucks!,easy !Does it need 12 volt for the electronic controls or is it just a stand alone propane frig?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Oct 2013 21:16 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Looking at Unique since we are in Canada. This means I can't get a propane fridge in the States and have to spend much more to get the CSA rated fridge. You got a great deal!

propanefridges
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 16:48 - Edited by: propanefridges

Depending on the conditions / environment your propane fridge operates in will determine how often you will need to maintenance the burner. It is a simple process and we recommend doing the service at least once a year. We have produced Gas Fridge Service DVD's that explain the process and give it free with every purchase. One piece of advice we give to all our customers is to vacuum under, behind, and around the fridge every 2 or 3 months. Especially if you have pets. The first sign of a foul burning flame is the fridge compartment will stop cooling as well as it should be.
FYI - You should vacuum under, behind, and around your electric fridge as well.

Yensus
# Posted: 21 Jul 2014 19:41

I've got one in my cabin. It seems well made and efficient. The freezer gets cold quickly but it takes a while for the refrigerator to stabilize at the proper temperature. An on/off switch for the light would be nice but I just take the battery out when I'm away and want to leave the door open to air out.
I'm not sure why they stopped making them.
Be sure to clean the burner and use a CO detector or vent outside.

brad6006
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 19:43

I have that exact fridge in Alaska. Someone GAVE it to me because it quit working. Several issues....
Home Depot says it was made for them, they gave up on Koolatron due to extremely poor quality and service, they tell me there will never be another Koolatron product in their stores.
I've tried calling Koolatron, they absolutely will not help with parts or questions. I hope you dont have warranty issues, I doubt you'll get help.
Mine came with a rubber supply hose, I wanted to change that out, so went to a propane store. The fittings made for that fridge arent interchangeable with anything. Threads are different, fittings are all odd sizes. So I had my local Cenex custom make a 6 inch section of rubber hose, adapted to a 3/8 in fitting that I can attach to my propane line.

I tried tipping it over after hearing the ammonia burp issues. No luck.
I got the pilot to light, but then discovered a bad thermocouple, that's the issue Im dealing with now. The fittings are smaller. So a universal one wont work. I've looked all over, Mr Heater seems to have the correct fitting, but i can only find a 12 inch thermocouple, that wont work. Talked to a heating supply house, they said cut the fitting on the thermocouple so I can get it off, slide it onto the copper tubing of a new thermocouple, and that may work. I've done this and will see if it works next month when I return to my cabin. If this doesnt work, I'll probably just junk the thing. I've spent WAY too much time screwing with an appliance that I've heard nothing good about. I would suggest you try and get a new thermocouple from Koolatron if you can, you'll eventually need it anyway. Heck, if you can get one, get one for me, seriously!! I'll pay you double what it cost you! Would also pay for a copy of our manual if you have one.
Thanks, and good luck!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.