Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I'm looking for a very small wood stove to heat small shack
<< . 1 . 2 .
Just
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 22:13

NICE LITTLE STOVE NEB that will do the trick!! I used some 5/8 cement board to protect the floor and wall behind my stove, { 4 Ft by 4FTon both the wall and floor } it's best if it has a 1 in. air space between the cement and the wood. They sell a through the roof kit at most hardware store that would be the safest way to do it.

neb
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 23:00

Awesome. I couldn't beat the price it cost a mint to ship but it is what it is. I have seen the same unit go for 85 to 100 bucks so it made me feel better anyway. LOL
OK will go up 4 feet on both walls and space it 1 inch from the 2x4s. Could I use sheet metal and do the same spacing and nail too the 2x4s? Also how close can I be to the wall with the stove? Could I be about 6 to 8 inches away if I fire wall up 4 feet? The other question could I make a slate or brick box around this unit with a gap on the sides and back so I can get it closer to the wall? Now I don't have the shack insulated or any thing it has plywood then tin on the sides and roof. I should have good air flow behind the product I fasten to the 2x4's right? Thanks

Just
# Posted: 1 Dec 2013 23:25

the closer you go the more protection you need , tin will work but you
need air space .I would not go that close but it comes down to what you feel safe with. If u turned that stove sideways and 16 in .from the wall you would still have room to get around in the cabin.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Dec 2013 15:47

Neb, have a piece of 1/8" plate steel cut and bent to warp around the back area for a shield. But it must be permanently mounted/bolted to the floor/stove etc, in other words, it cant be removed. This can reduce your stove distance from combustibles buy a bit.

neb
# Posted: 2 Dec 2013 17:34

toyota_mdt_tech

Awesome it only makes sense. Some of this is common sense and I was thinking of doing something like you have done. Thanks again for the help and I will be asking more questions for sure.

neb
# Posted: 7 Dec 2013 18:59

Well it showed up on the step today. Now I have a few things I need to change on it to improve it. To darn cold to work on it but will start soon and burn it a few times before I install it in the shack. I probley won't get it install this winter yet but by late winter I will tackle getting it done. Not a bad little stove and well built just a few things to make it better.
http://www.amazon.com/TMS-STOVE-2346-Portable-Military-Camping/dp/B002XNWC8A

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 7 Dec 2013 19:11

that's all the stove ya need in a small space....let us know how it works...

also would be a great stove in a " wall tent"

neb
# Posted: 7 Dec 2013 19:57

I hope so it just need to get some heat when I'm there. What people have told me it will do fine for what I need it for. I got come ceder split and ready.

Just
# Posted: 7 Dec 2013 20:58

You will need to find a good little kettle to sit on that stove Neb .I can see a yard sale Sunday coming your way ,..

neb
# Posted: 7 Dec 2013 21:09

Just
Again thanks for the help on making up my mind on a stove. I'm sure it will heat that small cabin up just fine. I got started on making a new door handle that will close better and a few more thing need to be done also. I will fire it up tomorrow and let her burn before I put it in the shack.

neb
# Posted: 8 Dec 2013 16:44

Well I did the improvements that I wanted to make and got it fired up. I want to burn off the paint and repaint it. Seems to work just fine. Here it is just a smoking away. Once the wood started there was no smoke what so ever.

Gregjman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 17:31

Trying to tag this on to an existing stove thread. Found this stove on craigslist and thought it was a pretty cool DIY stove.
Craigslist stove
Craigslist stove
Craigslist stove
Craigslist stove

neb
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 19:06

Gregjman
That looks like a nice stove and a bit bigger then the one I have. What is the price on that stove? I got a picture of the finished stove in my small cabin. Works very well and heats it up nice but need to fuel it more often then a stove that is bigger.

Gregjman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 19:25 - Edited by: Gregjman

It's on craigslist for 200$. Looks like a 20# propane tank to me. I'm not so sure it's all that larger than yours?

Do all the blocks around yours help hold the heat well?

neb
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 20:33

Yes I was up there today and spent the afternoon after being on the river in the morning. The block got nice and warm and when I left they where still warm. I believe they do help to hold heat in the space you want to heat. I went through 1 1/2 9 inch by 12 inch long log for the afternoon.

Nirky
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 20:37

How far is the stovepipe (or stove) from nearest combustables? It may be that the wall sheet metal & alum foil on the stovepipe is unnecessary.

neb
# Posted: 17 Jan 2014 20:57

I am 2 feet 18 inches away from any wood product. The tin foil is because I used muffler pipe the kind that is sealed and doesn't leak. I wouldn't need the foil but I put it around the pipe because I wasn't sure if the pipe was going to do what they said it was suppose to do. I will take it off some time but for now I just left it on. The tin doesn't even get warm at all. I have double wall going up through the tin roof.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Jan 2014 22:43

Quoting: Gregjman
Found this stove on craigslist and thought it was a pretty cool DIY stove.

That looks like a cute little stove and one I wouldn't mind building some time. But the 4 feet going straight down making for a small footprint would make me nervous of it tipping over. I would put a bottom plate in it, with a air inlet from underneath, then line the bottom and side with some firebrick. I'd probably use some plate steel to make a flat surface on the top.

It would be cool if someone made a kit (door kit, pipe flange etc to make one, less tank.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.