Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Anybody tried making their own septic system?
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 27 Mar 2014 22:39

I was looking into adding a bathroom with a flush toilet in my cabin so naturally I need somewhere for it to go so I was looking into septic systems. I ran across this and wondered if anyone had tried such a method or had any input on it.

http://www.off-grid.net/2013/08/09/a-small-diy-septic-system/

Martian
# Posted: 27 Mar 2014 23:06 - Edited by: Martian

I did a very similar system, but I used Infiltator domes instead of perforated pipe. Its been a year with no problems.
http://www.infiltratorsystems.com/products-solutions/chambers

Tom

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 00:09

Basic idea with any tank-and-drainfield system is to use the tank to separate out the solids so they don't get into the drainfield. Solids in the drainfield will clog up the dirt fast, stopping it from being able to absorb and percolate water. With smaller DIY built systems like this, you run the risk of filling the tanks fairly quickly because they are so small. A couple weeks use a year with just a few people will take a while to fill them probably. Best thing to do is keep a close eye and pump as soon as there is any question.

The very best thing to do, if you can, is instal a regular system, but a lot of small cabins are too far from backhoe operators and many people feel they can't afford it. I personally felt that I couldn't afford not to, given the consequences if things go wrong. The cost delayed building the cabin, but I'd rather have a later cabin with good water disposal than a sooner cabin without. But that's me.

groingo
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 01:54

If you're not living in it full time and you have access it my pay to just tank it and have it pumped out when you need to.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 07:46

on my old hunting cabin I built 25 years ago....diesel farm skid tank & plastic drain pipe....still works fine and never been pumped out.
My new southern cabin...larger diesel farm skid tank ( bought for 100 bucks used)....infiltrator chambers~~$300 bucks for use/labor of a small track hoe~~plumbing/fitting/etc...600 bucks for total system...works GREAT!!!! But I have the sinks/showers running out to the woods..never had a problem with either.

swampshaman
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 11:44

Martian
Im in the process of building a similar system. Thanks for the info about Infiltrator.how are their prices as I dont see anything on their website.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 12:13

In NY a DIY septic is a really big No No. In fact if you get caught it is a felony. And efforts to use common sense efforts of doing no harm by contaiment just aren't accepted. On top of that what use to be allowed in many cases isn't allowed anymore.
You may want to check out what is and isn't allowed in your area before you get too deep into this.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 12:20 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: hueyjazz
NY a DIY septic is a really big No No. In fact if you get caught it is a felony

WOW...no 30 round mags for my AR 15 and a homemade septic is a feloNY .....oh my NEW YORK sounds nice...I go through there but NEVER stop on my way to my Northern camp.

BTW~~ where your PVC drain pipe dumps into your infiltrator ....my buddy who owns a septic systems said to lay a 12" x12" brick paver ...so it would never undermine the infiltrator from water /solids dumping in there...I don't know if it helps...but I did it on mine ...it was 99 cents at HD

Martian
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 13:15

Quoting: swampshaman
Im in the process of building a similar system. Thanks for the info about Infiltrator.how are their prices as I dont see anything on their website.

I paid $35 for each chamber. I have 4 chambers in my system for one or two people. Like TH, I ran the grey water to another location and a rock filled plastic barrel.

Tom

swampshaman
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 13:40

thanks,that sounds like my new plan.

ILFE
# Posted: 28 Mar 2014 14:26 - Edited by: ILFE

I imagine that, here in Southeast Asia, a LOT of things done here would be big "no-no's" in the states.

Here is a little collage of the construction of our 5,260 liter (~1,390 US gallons) septic tank. It is made up of four (4) equal in size concrete rings lowered into the ground, cemented together, capped, and vented. The bottom has several cm of gravel, but otherwise is open. As others here, it is exclusively for black water.

Each ring cost $7.50c US. Probably the cheapest septic tank installation I will ever pay for in my life.
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 13:59

I am going to plumb everything in the house but only hook up the shower and sinks to drain to the outdoors...For now I will use sawdust and a bucket for a toilet....

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 29 Mar 2014 22:11

Well, after doing a little research on septic systems, I think I may go the composting toilet route. We're not planning on living there full time and I don't want to put my time and money into something that may well end up getting me into trouble. Found several sites on building a composting toilet with a urine diverter and it looks to be fairly simple. Thanks for the comments and ideas.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.