Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shower systems
bhebby
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 12:04

I recently came across this shower called a Helio pressure shower and was wondering if anyone has ever used one? I need to get this shower situation figured out so the wife wants to go to camp more often and stay longer. Was considering a zodi system also, camp is heavily shaded in the summer time so any solar options aren't the best . If anyone has had success with something other than those please pass it along thanks

razmichael
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 12:18

I think there have been a number of threads about this on the forum - most recent here Building water system. You can read some comments on the Zodi system (I used one for years) and other options. The Helio looks neat but you still need to heat the water and, if your wife is like mine, a nice hot shower is most important. Before the cabin went up (and for a while after that) we used the Zodi along with a privacy shelter like Privacy Shelter that I supported on a small platform. Although a bit of prep work was needed with the Zodi to use it (not a on-demand-system) it did the job well for 3-4 years of camping. Being so portable, I was also able to use it other places. We have since moved to the eccotemp L5 with a more permanent setup just beside the cabin. I'm still using the tent shelter as the shower but building a more permanent shower is somewhere on my never ending list of things to do.

bhebby
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 15:09

Thanks Raz! I dont have electricity outside my honda generator. I am in Redfield NY, 386" of snowfall this year so storing water without it freezing is a challenge. I have seen the zodi and also another one that looks like a stainless bug sprayer that sits on a burner. I plan on building a little shower shack. thanks for the info.

spoofer
# Posted: 27 Apr 2014 18:05

bhebby
Im in the Redfield area on Jackson rd.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 27 Apr 2014 19:07

bhebby:

My cabin is in AR and we don't have the snowfall problems that you do that far up north, but I built a shower system that works great with no permanent power.

I collect rain water in a 55 gallon barrel. We filter the water and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. We heat the water with an electric bucket water heater (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG ) off of generator power. Then we put a small fountain pump into the bucket with a hose that goes to a standard shower head over head. I rigged up a pull chain switch (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-10097-8-1A-125V-3A-125V-Stripped/dp/B00004YULP/ref=sr_1 _3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1398639756&sr=1-3&keywords=pull+chain+switch ) overhead that turns the pump on and off. Pull chain once, on. Pull chain again, off. Get wet, turn off, soap up, turn on, rinse off, turn off, etc.

Initially I had 2 shower curtains (one against the wall and one around the outside) and a makeshift drain pan that I cobbled together. Last year I bought an actual 32" shower and built it in but we're still using the bucket method for showering. I intend on making a regular shower head built into the wall later on.

hinterland
# Posted: 16 May 2014 20:54

Hi, We tried the Coleman from Canadian Tire, took it back. Then ordered a Zodi Outfitter from the States, but it had no shut off, i.e.: when I wanted to shampoo, I couldn't turn the water flow off and it wasted so much water and propane. Sent it back also. Settled on the Eccotemp from South Carolina, so very glad. Easy to use, and I also picked up a 2nd hose and shower nozzle designed for RV use, which have shut off. Highly recommended. You can take a look at the set up when we first tried it out on the front porch. The video shows different setups for bathing off grid, at about 1:16 you will see the Eccotemp set up. Hope this helps. Deb
URL
Eccotemp Hot Water on Demand
Eccotemp Hot Water on Demand

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 May 2014 22:03

I've been using the Coleman on demand water heater, and it has suited my needs. You didn't mention- do you have piped water under pressure? If not you need a water heater with a pump. The Coleman has a fairly large sealed lead acid battery in it which runs its pump. It uses propane canisters to heat the water, I get about 8-10 showers per canister and per battery charge. Battery can be charged off car charger, or buy a spare battery, not expensive, and keep both charged. My first battery lasted 6 years. I used this heater for 4-5 years before I put in my water piping system, I no longer need the pump, so I switched over to an accessory servo control valve sold by Coleman that turns the piped water on and off via the same battery, but uses far less battery juice.

I think the Eccotemp requires piped water under pressure, don't know about the Zodi.

hinterland
# Posted: 17 May 2014 18:53

Coleman must have improved on their design. Can you shut off the water flow in the midst of use, without the propane shutting off? The Eccotemp does come with a Shur Flo pump. You can use it by gravity without the pump tho. Or just out of a 5 gallon jug of water.
Eccotemp_Hot_Water_H.jpg
Eccotemp_Hot_Water_H.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 May 2014 15:12

Yes, the Coleman shuts off the water when you turn it off, either by shutting off the pump or by reversing the servo, depending which you are using. Both controlled by the battery in the unit.

What power source is required for the Sure Flo pump with the Eccotemp?

Incidentally, I've heard that Sure Flo pumps in general are some of the least reliable of pumps, so I'm not so sure about how sure you will be that you will have a working pump. Also, I'm not so sure what's so Eco-friendly about burning propane, maybe the marketing experts at Ecotemp can enlighten me. Yes, I burn propane to, but I don't try to convince myself its Eco- friendly. Reminds me of the Kero-sun brand kerosene heaters they used to sell. Just open a window a hair and don't worry about the stink. Still trying to figure out what those things have to do with the sun. Which reminds me of Exxon advertising their 'research' into 'clean coal', where they fail to mention that there is only one clean coal plant in the world, in Germany, which operates at a loss for 'research' or perhaps 'public relations' purposes. There's no clean coal in the US, and never will be.

bhebby
# Posted: 18 May 2014 20:29

I have a well that I'm not sure I want to use quite yet... Other than that it's all water I bring in or collect from the town well. Looking to build a little shed and use some sort of system.

Spoofer I'm not far from you. I'm about 2 miles away.

missouriboy
# Posted: 9 Jun 2014 19:37

I have the eco temp 5. You can read about it here at the bottom of page 2

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3462_1.html

Pretty simple setup. Just need a propane bottle like in a gas grill and a way to pressurize the water. Others on here also have it. Look for the thread on "Share your shower pics" in the General Forum Section.

ClimberKev
# Posted: 11 Jun 2014 17:28

I used a Zodi for a long time and about a year ago I upgraded to a Triton 5L instant water heater. Fully portable with a filter and Shur Flo pump that works off 12V. Zodi works but doesn't feel like a real shower. Very happy with Triton so far. We use a simple shower ring with curtain and large galvanized bucket as the base in our tool shed. Best advice I can give is to not let it freeze over the winter.
Portable water heater
Portable water heater

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 11 Jun 2014 18:43

I have the shurflo ecotemp combo. there is a video on my thread
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_4632_0.html

Bemidjiboy
# Posted: 13 Jun 2014 21:34 - Edited by: Bemidjiboy

Ontario Lakeside, that's a great video! Thanks for posting it. Almost the exact application I'll need - at my cabin near Thunder Bay. My question is this: what is the best way to get the water? I have a) the lake, b) the metal roof and c) a sand point whacked 20' into a spring, I believe. How would you (or the rest of you) go about getting the water to the stage just before the pump? I also have a green water tank that could be used to store it. I like the idea of pumping the tank full from the sand point, then using the water in that with the 12 volt pump as needed... I noticed there is no pressure tank in your system. Not needed?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 08:41

We have a water source close to the cabin. I use a submersible pump to fill a tank in the crawl space of the cabin. The water is then supplied from that tank to the plumbing fixtures using a 12 volt shurflo pump. We have the eccotemp water heater as well. No pressure tank is required.
If you have a standpoint already I would use that water.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 18:17

We use a portable gasoline pump to pump water from the lake to our 250 gallon water tank. I have photos and info on my water tower thread.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 16:50

Bemidjiboy

If the sandpoint is potable, I would use that to fill the tank, we are having great luck with rainwater. last weekend we had a full tank, I wanted to see how much water we would use if we didn't conserve. we used about 60 gallons in 2.5 days. showers, dishes and cleaning. Ive done the math and Im convinced that natural rainfall will keep us going with no need to pump from the lake.

As Skoot says, the shurflo eliminates the need for a pressure tank.

Good luck

Bemidjiboy
# Posted: 1 Jul 2014 09:57

Thanks guys. I ended up getting an eccotemp L10 with the flojet 12 v pump included. I've decided to run my generator and jet pump every couple days to fill my water tank, then use the 12v system to run the water to the deck shower, kitchen sink and eventually bathroom sink and tub. I'll top off the deep cycle battery as I run the generator to fill the tank (20 minutes?) and hopefully that will be enough. Wish me luck!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Apr 2018 23:56 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I received this video (see below) via an e-mail mentioning the advances in technology. Pretty amazing.

I figure it’s comparable to how old computers used to occupy entire buildings and use huge amounts of electricity and are now highly efficient, mobile and fit in the palm of your hand. Note how the Portuguese have managed to miniaturize and even make portable their shower unit!!! (The Japanese are clearly falling behind. Odd considering Japan has all the power problems.)

Technology never ceases to amaze!

Japanese Shower vs Portuguese Shower - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STVORWFd38U

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 4 Apr 2018 18:17

bhebby - If you are looking at the Helios, you might want to consider DYI. We built what is essentially the same system for just a few bucks. Get one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Sprayer-1502HDX/207202422

And attach a spray nozzle of your choosing. Works great for rinsing dishes too.

For showers, I am looking at going the EcoTemp route this year.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.