Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / another genny/solar question
tombiosis
# Posted: 19 Jul 2014 21:02

Hi all,
I have read through a few threads on solar and DIY wiring here, but I am still insure about something.
I am working on a 12X24 cabin, and I want to do some wiring before closing in my framing, just in case I want a solar set-up later.
I want to install an inlet receptacle for my genny and a few plugs and switches in the cabin just low wattage stuff...(PC, ghetto blaster, a lamp or 2),
If I decide to add some solar panels and batteries later, what is the best breaker panel to get?
Does anyone have pics or a link to a similar set-up?

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Jul 2014 00:10

Any breaker panel will do fine so long as it has the capacity, but one thing you may consider is a panel with breakers dual rated for both AC and DC. If you decide to have a very small solar system for just lights and a few other things, you can operate on DC and avoid buying an inverter. If your panel and breakers are rated for this, you won't have to change them, nor will you if you later get an AC system.

But aside from that, if you know you are going with AC, the only things to decide about a panel are its capacity and the number of breakers it is capable of fitting. There are little 60-70 amp panels that will only fit 6 or eight breakers, might be enough for you. If you plan to expand later and/or you want to get all possible circuits in the wall now that you might need later, a 100 amp panel that can fit many more breakers might be best. The major expense is the breakers themselves, you don't have to get those now, just get the panel and pull your wire in there and label each wire so you don't forget what it is.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Jul 2014 15:07

Square D QO and QOC have breakers that are 120 VAC rated as well as approved for low voltage DC (12 and 24 VDC system) Nut of course no DC and AC in the same panel.

tombiosis
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 11:56

MtnDon, I really don't understand your post above...?

bldginsp, If I run wires to all my plugs and switches inside the walls, all back to one location where I can install a panel, can I just put temporary male plugs on those wires and plug them into a power bar that runs off my genny until I get the panel?

creeky
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 16:36

tom. you could look at a midnight solar panel for the dc.

and mtndon is saying you can use square d/qoc breakers. he's just saying use two different panels: one for dc and one for ac. ease of wiring. no chance of error. very few panels support dual ac/dc ... except maybe rock music panels.

I didn't realize the square d's were dc rated. cool. could save some money / time there for sure. I used square d for my ac panels. easy to wire and pretty cheap.

you can do a temp. plug. we've mostly all done it.
but .02 a small panel is easier to wire and safer.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 18:42

Quoting: creeky
I didn't realize the square d's were dc rated. cool. could save some money

The factory spec sheets note the DC parameters. The breakers themselves are not marked for DC use, so with that in mind it is possible to run into problems with some inspectors. Their only slight downside for DC is that their AIR rating is a little low for DC, but workable if used in conjunction with a type T fuse at the battery mains + wire, to cover the dead short problem.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.