Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Yamaha ef 1000 is generator breaks record
groingo
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 17:44

13 hours and 8 minutes at 25% output on 1/2 gallon of gas... .I'm thrilled, guess with 50 hours on it she's finally broke in!

Nirky
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 18:15

How many watts is 25%?

groingo
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 21:37

250 watts which is more than I need to recharge batteries once a week.

rugercpl
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 23:11

How's that compare to the eu2000?

groingo
# Posted: 23 Jul 2014 23:41 - Edited by: groingo

The Honda eu 2000 used twiced the amount of fuel and the Honda 1000 gets only a tad over 8 hours all at 25%.
It's mainly to do with the 2000's larger engine and spinning mass and the Honda 1000 I have no idea why so poorly, I guess because Yamaha thought they were second so they just tried harder, it's a sweety for sure though and has several features the Honda didn't.

rugercpl
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 00:44

Awesome...thx for your results. Can these be converted to propane?

groingo
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 09:40

Yes there are conversion kits available (and are quite expensive) and you will also loose about 15% in fuel economy in the process though it will cost less per gallon in the short term and extend engine life in the end it is not very cost effective.

Ultimately solar power is the way to go but as an interum the generator / battery method is doable but with the least overal cost (for small scale systems) while in the end the best thing to do is eliminate electricity from the equation where ever possible.

For now I am using the gen/bat method because in my location especially in winter solar is not effective due to my neighbors trees blocking needed sunlight.

rugercpl
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 10:46

Is propane known to cause more wear/tear on these little generators?

groingo
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 13:24

No moreso than any other gasoline engine, because it burns much cleaner than gasoline is typically where the longer engine life comes in, less chance for carbon buildup.
Thing is, I am a devout Lucas fan and religously use and have seen the benefits of their products as well as meticulous maintenance, goes back to the best words I live by, take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 20:08

Quoting: groingo
has several features the Honda didn't

What are those features. Some are dowsides made to look like upsides.

rugercpl
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 20:18

That's damn fine gas mileage. I guess we'll have to see how they age. The Honda has a pretty good track record.

What's the diff in decibels between the Honda and Yamaha at the Eco-throttle setting?

optimistic
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 20:40

That's interesting....

I have a eu2000.

I get to my cabin around 11am and then I fill it up to the top. I then start it and it usually runs, in eco only, until about 7-8pm. Mainly runs lights and chargers batteries. I then turn it back on around 8-9 am and keep it running until about 11-12noon which is when I leave... I never have to refill

I am pretty happy with that and... I love my Honda! so reliable. Had it sitting in my basement for 6 months and it started on the 3rd pull.

Can't praise it enough.

groingo
# Posted: 24 Jul 2014 22:15

What I would suggest is to compare feature for feature side by side at wise sales, they were close but in the 1000 class inverter Yamaha was far and away the best in fuel mileage and has an excellent durrability reputation.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 10:28

I did some checking and on the 1000 watter, it looks like the Yamaha is king. But in the 2000, Honda wins, but not buy much.

rugercpl
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 10:38

Can anyone compare the decibels of both Honda and Yamaha on Eco-throttle and the weight of the two units?

If both were converted to propane, and both were run for 6 hours on Eco....how much would you guess the Yamaha 1000 would cost in propane vs the Honda 2000?

groingo
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 12:13

I think the Yamaha 1000 is supposed to be 47 in eco and Honda a bit higher but in either case a simple object placed between the exhaust outlet and where you are or better yet just aim the exhaust away from you can make a big difference.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 10:12

If you want a quiet generator, build a little insulated box to fit over it, with one side left open and pointing away from you for airflow and to direct the sound away.

Also a long heavy gauge extension cord can allow you to position the generator 50 or 100 feet away and then - along with the insulated box, you'll never hear it at all.

Putting it on the other side of a hill also works well.

groingo
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 12:03

Mine is about 100 feet away in its own 10 by 12 foot insulated storage shed, quiet but still can hear it so I can keep tabs on it.

rayyy
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 16:36

Ive got my Honda 2000 hooked up to a 5 gallon gas can.It draw's gas up and out of that all the time so I just have to keep an eye on the level in that.I can get up to two weeks worth of running time with out running out .When it runs dry I just pull the hose out,put the cap on and fill it up again next trip to the gas station.

MJW
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 11:43

I bought one of the BERGS 2 line extended run fuel tank systems and have never been able to get it to operate correctly.

They claim it will draw the gas from any position either down or up from below the generators.

I fill the tank and within 30 minutes the Honda is sucking air and shuts down like it does when you forget to open the valve on the gas cap.

Anyone else have this issue or ideas on what the problem may be?

groingo
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 13:47

Sounds like a vent issue, try cracking the gas cap and see what happens.

MJW
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 14:48

Quoting: groingo
Sounds like a vent issue, try cracking the gas cap and see what happens.

Thanks but I tried that...no good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.