Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What is wrong with EccoTemp??
Bemidjiboy
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 11:26 - Edited by: Bemidjiboy

This thread is up to warn anybody who purchases ANY products from EccoTemp that you will never, ever, get ahold of their customer service people. I've tried for two months to get someone in either service or sales and gotten routed to the same answering machine. No one has returned a call. No matter how well their products might work, this is a giant RED FLAG for me. If you all have had different experiences, I'm happy for you. If you're looking at their products, BEWARE!

Bemidjiboy
# Posted: 29 Jul 2014 11:44

Ah ha: Well, they answered quickly this time. There's always something magic about posting stuff like this, though it would be amazing if they'd seen the post so quickly. Kristin from customer service called back and answered my simple question. I warned her about their silly phone system...

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 09:22

I have an Ecotemp L5 which is one of their cheapest units at around $120.00.
I have to say I love this thing.
It did have a small learning curve to get comfortable with this thing but it works great once you learn how to use it.
I had one problem with a hose after a few uses but Kristin at customer service replied quickly and remedied the issue.
Nothing is better than a nice hot shower after a hot Texas day working on the cabin!
I combined this with a flojet pump that has an auto on feature and I plan on plumbing this unit for hot running water in the shower, bathroom and kitchen.
heating water on the stove to wash dishes isn't much fun. Instant hot water will be appreciated by the wife!

Bemidjiboy
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 10:49

I hear you LastOutlaw! I am really thrilled with the plumbing at my cabin in Ontario. A warm shower and warm water out of the sink feels like we've performed a miracle. The PEX tubing and sharkbite connects make everything so easy, there's really no excuse not to do it.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 1 Aug 2014 13:28

I finished my outdoor shower installation last week using a Ecotemp, a RV water pump, 55 gallon drum of water and a outdoor shower kit that I got from Lowes. It was the greatest thing since sliced bread and really beats the backpack sprayer I had been using.

I'm taking next week off to add the shower, sink and toilet to the inside of the cabin.
Since we use the cabin year round and I live in Upstate, NY the cabin is in the deep freeze 5 days a week.

I had to design my plumbing to handle this so the traps are rubber, the lines are Pex and I have a port I can blow out the lines with a compressor. The waste goes to a holding tank that I can dump. Different tanks for toilet and grey water.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 4 Dec 2014 15:21 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

Quoting: Bemidjiboy
Ah ha: Well, they answered quickly this time. There's always something magic about posting stuff like this, though it would be amazing if they'd seen the post so quickly. Kristin from customer service called back and answered my simple question. I warned her about their silly phone system...

OK... I have had my ecotemp L5 since spring. I like it when it works but it seems to not work when I need it most.

Second use the shower nozzle hose exploded on me and almost scalded me with extremely hot water. Ecotemp sent me their upgraded hose.

I installed it and used my shower. Next trip the shower quit working again. This time it wouldnt keep burning and the ignitors keep clicking like it is starving for fuel. Also the shower nozzle switch broke.

I contacted them and were told that the nozzle, hose and regulator carry a 30 day warranty.

Then they tell me to open the machine and begin troubleshooting their product that is broken under warranty.

Seems pretty hokey to me that a company would have their customers work on their product that fails under warranty.

Im to cut and shorten ignitor wires, soapy water test their gas lines for leaks and replace my regulator with the hose from my grill or a friend's grill?????

WTF?

Honestly I feel they should have replaced my L5 immediately after seeing numerous problems, especially considering I smell gas.

ECOTEMP: FIX IT YOURSELF

I can't help wondering if I should bill them for my labor to repair their product.

BTW...if you return an ecotemp product under warranty you will have to pay the shipping both ways.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.