Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Alaska the last free state?
. 1 . 2 . >>
papawawesome
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 04:51

The more I look into this. The more I realize Alaska is the only place left where you can live in a dry cabin year round off the grid with no issues. In fact most people seem to live in dry cabins, they even rent them to college kids. Fairbanks has dry cabins in town next to other homes. So my question is. If that's the lifestyle you choose, the lifestyle you want, to live off the grid in a cabin. Is Alaska the last place in this country where you are legally allowed to do so without issue?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 09:01

You can buy 5 acres lots all day long in nice areas, even waterfront right online from Alaskas dept of land and mining.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/otc/

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 13:23 - Edited by: Malamute

There are other places in the lower 48 that don't care if you don't have water. I wanted to live in Alaska, several things happened that kept forestalling that, and I realized everything I wanted about living there I could have here, without the length and depth of winter.

I lived several places and a number of years in dry cabins. I have water now, and certainly don't mind it, but nobody cared whether I did or not.

I have friends in Ak. I've talked to them when they had 50 below F, and I was able to sit outside on my porch and drink coffee at 40 f on nice sunny mornings. They get several more months of that than I do, even in the northern Rockies also. Not that there isn't winter here, but is isn't anywhere near as long or severe, and they don't get the breaks of nice, snow free weather I do.

Hauling water in the winter is a drag. One I am glad not to have to do.

I used to truly love winter. I still like it, but not quite as much as in the past, and I lose my appreciation for it when we get one of the rare heavy snows and I actually have to shovel it. Usually a broom is all I need to clear my walk to the bath house. At this point, I'm really happy I didn't end up moving to Alaska, as I'm sure I'd be beyond being able to really appreciate winter. Many don't feel that way, just my perspective.

papawawesome
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 16:51

Where are those places?
I wish I could find a list of those places.
Maybe one exists on the interwebs somewhere?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 17:19

I'd guess Montana, Wyoming to name a few, maybe Idaho.

Malamute
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 17:37

T-M-T is on to it.

If we had PM's I'd offer suggestions.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 17:48

maybe state wide Alaska might have relaxed policies, but then the entire state has a population the size of a rural county in one of the eastern states. they have a hard time getting people to live there because of the winters and remoteness. if they were as anal about building codes as some other states they would drive away half the population. in rural areas of the lower 48 you can find a lot of places where you can have a dry cabin, just go somewhere that doesn't have a lot of rich people building vacation homes. if there are hardly any people around, lacking employment opportunities, and more cows than people, chances are no one will care if you have a dry cabin.

suburbancowboy
# Posted: 11 Aug 2014 18:25

I live in a state with lots of permits, taxes, fees and regulations. Let me first say building a cabin helped me find all of them. If I had to do it over again I would have just purchased a nice 5th wheel trailer and put it on my land. No permits, fees or taxes. As long as it doesn't have a foundation they don't care.

I do agree with you that Alaska is the last freer state in the nation. Having been born in Idaho. It use to be free like that but the state is run by professional politicians now not citizen statesmen any more.

papawawesome
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 00:39

TheWildMan,
I think North Dakota has something like 650,000 population. And I have seen -40 and windchills -60 here, and the northern lights. It's a lot like Alaska in many ways.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 03:14

Note that the parcels offered by the state are all, I fairly sure with a quick look at the map, off the road system, some really only accessible by small plane or overland in winter with a snowmachine. You're free in many ways, but it doesn't come free.

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 20:18

Maine. I've read Maine had many counties with to no regulations..

bigriver
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 21:06

I have a cabin in Missouri an hour outside of St. Louis and I have water but could live there if I did not have water. I am not sure why I would not want water in my cabin.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Aug 2014 10:20

Quoting: bigriver
I am not sure why I would not want water in my cabin

I dont think it was a quesxtion of weather one would want it or not,but if it was legal or not.

I'm with you, I'd want water if I lived there, but could I live there without running water legally?

In my state, I can build a cabin without running water, but I do need a privvy. But this is limited to 60 days max (definition of a cabin, plus lower tax rate than year round home) occupancy a year. Not sure if I could live there year round (home now, not cabin) or not without running water. Then the septic would also be required too.

Malamute
# Posted: 13 Aug 2014 11:10 - Edited by: Malamute

In the Western state I'm in, old outhouses are grandfathered in, new ones are legal, but have to have a concrete pit, basically a septic tank. I did this at one place for a couple years before becoming completely civilized. Its more expensive than just digging a hole, but not as expensive as a full septic system. If I were to do it again in that situation, I think I'd either go ahead and have the full septic installed, or use the septic tank as the outhouse pit, then upgrade it later to a full septic system so I wasn't buying two tanks.

Other than that, no building inspections or general codes out of a town. Nobody really cares what you live in. The down side of that is some really poorly built places end up on the market, and if the buyer doesn't get a good inspection, can be inheriting somebody elses junk or problems. And I've seen some really junky owner built buildings sell to unsuspecting buyers.

Kudzu
# Posted: 13 Aug 2014 21:01

Move to Alabama, lots of cheap land and very few if any permits.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Aug 2014 07:43

Some Ohio counties have no building code requirements. There are minimal septic system req'ts, however.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 14 Aug 2014 11:08

Quoting: bigriver
I have a cabin in Missouri an hour outside of St. Louis and I have water but could live there if I did not have water. I am not sure why I would not want water in my cabin.

I'm pretty certain I know where bigriver's cabin is and I can tell you in that area of Missouri, there are no laws requiring you to have water in you cabin.

Also, in most rural counties in Missouri, there are no building permits and no code inspections and all that bs. Although I don't live in it full time, my cabin has no running water other than caught rain for the toilet.

Missouri is a great free state. In the rural areas, your only major concern with building a cabin is the septic system and if you own more than five contiguous acres and are not causing a nuisance to any neighbors or dumping in a waterway, you can get away with about anything.

There is actually a lake development in Missouri where there are no homes, only temporary cabins. None of the cabins have running water and the majority of them that I have seen consist of campers and portable buildings.. Below is an example.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/4591656541.html

Ozarker
# Posted: 14 Aug 2014 20:11

The issue is Missouri is DNR at the state level. You can camp without a septic but it can't be your home address, as long as you have a permanent address you could camp there. Being someplace more than half the year constitutes your tax home too, that county wants the personal property tax. Driver's license is another issue after 90 days I believe. If a cabin is your home you'll need a septic system and for that you need water. Stone County won't "allow" rain water or a non-water sewer unless it's state approved. A bid on that was $25K. At the state level DNR requires 5 acres for a new septic, you can get exemptions under conditions at 3 acres. I bet other states have similar gottcha rules as they intertwine with other requirements, they may not require water but you can't get the septic without the water. But you can camp and dig a hole on your property. Go figure!

RiverCabin
# Posted: 15 Aug 2014 11:27

Quoting: Ozarker
The issue is Missouri is DNR at the state level.

My friend I think you have this reversed. DNR has no regulation requiring a certain number of acres for a septic system. They do have more strict requirements for less than five and less than three acres. They also require a permit for installs on property less than three acres.

Counties on the other hand may have more restrictive regulations. I can say from experience that I have had a septic system installed on property greater than five acres in missouri and I was not required to contact the county nor obtain a permit for its installation.

Check this for some quick answers.
http://health.mo.gov/living/environment/onsite/faqs.php

P.S. Sounds like Stone County is a bunch of jerks. I just took a peek at their regs and they are much more restrictive than the Missouri DNR. Al those Tablerock Lake/Branson tax dollars are making their brains soft.

burtonridr
# Posted: 15 Aug 2014 13:21 - Edited by: burtonridr

I have no problem telling people where I have found fewer regulations, in fact I want more off grid minded people to move here, it helps keep it that way if more people think like that here. If you like big gov, or gov handouts, or the gov to take care of you, please dont move here, move to WA state or Oregon. We need more self providing, hard working, DIY individuals here.

Boise County, ID

They require permits for a structure larger than 200 sqft if it is habitable. However they have 2 type of permits, a basic and upgraded. With the basic, all they do is approve your plans(and they only require very basic plans), no inspections required except for the privy pit or compost toilet or what ever you use to deal with the human waste. If you go this route they dont come inspect the building, the only draw back is you dont get a certificate of occupancy. Which really means it will be tough, if not impossible to insure.

***Here is a big thing to remember***...... Just because they have building codes does not mean you have to have the things listed in the code books. It means that if you decide to put them in your house, this is the way you have to do it. For example if the county has adopted an electrical code, that does mean you have to have electricity in the house. Now they might have a city ordinance that requires all homes to be hooked up to the local power provider, or I have seen ones requiring the home to be hooked up to the local sewer service.

burtonridr
# Posted: 15 Aug 2014 13:27 - Edited by: burtonridr

Oh, and I agree, I want to move to Alaska.... Just a few more years

The only thing missing in ID is ocean fishing and crabbing, and the regulations in some parts are so relaxed. You can crab all year round, and take advantage of huge salmon runs to store food over the winter.

Ozarker
# Posted: 15 Aug 2014 19:17 - Edited by: Ozarker

Let's see, I said that there were exceptions, DNR does have guidelines on septics at the state level, it's 5 acres and may go down to 3, less depending on specific circumstance if you have a legal building lot.

Stone and other counties don't have any building regulations nor do they have inspectors to inspect any building, however, recently the Ozarks Greenways/Waterways (a non-profit civic organization) got legislation through for the Table Rock Lake area with DNR and the Corps of Engineers.

DNR has`had supervision for about twenty years.

Now, while I have had a few septics put in on my own properties in Missouri, like you have on your property, I've also been in economic development of subdivisions and redevelopment, rural development, was a commissioner of a large housing authority, did redevelopment and have had over 40 years in the RE arena in Missouri, so if I spout off about real estate, you can take it to the bank in reality.

I agree with you about the lake area and regulation, but since I have property on the lake front I've had to keep up with the stuff that goes on down there.

Do some more research and you'll see who has jurisdiction over water contamination and sewage treatment of any kind.

missouriboy
# Posted: 1 Sep 2014 20:54

I'm in Missouri also and the county I am in has no restrictions. I have a dry cabin and an outhouse. Did not need a building permit for my cabin. I think there are quite a few counties in Missouri that are this way. The closer to a metropolitan area the more restrictions.

ClarkMichigan
# Posted: 26 Nov 2014 00:08

Come to Canada!

Pookie129
# Posted: 26 Nov 2014 06:20 - Edited by: Pookie129

Not sure where you mean in canada, unless you might be referring to northern ontario and or keeping the dwelling or cabin under 100sqft..???

If not, please do tell...lol..lol.

They aren't making more land and now is the time (actually bus is already or has already started to pull outta the station) to buy land as more and more people push north or towards unused / available resources.

My partner use to always ask me what I was doing all day in the woods, I would always tell him, just taking it all in, nature, the woods, wildlife, etc, for as long as I can, and for as long as we have it. As the general public's appetite for consumption continues along - at some point "our" natural resources become hot commodities as the population grows and they push into vacant or undeveloped areas and multiply. with their box stores and sub divisions and ask stupid questions like, how come these pesky bears or coyotes are bothering us, when they pushed them out. And then they start to focus on the houses or properties around them, which have probably been there forever but are now eye sores for the new peeps......and the story repeats, the greatest story ever told..Capitialism...lol..lol..lol..lol.and just in time for Christmas..lol.

Of everything, I'm going to miss Trees the most, in all their splendor ;) water too but trees especially ;;). Good morning..lol.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 26 Nov 2014 18:58

Rural Kentucky (which is most of the state) doesn't require permits, utilities etc...Many rural counties have lax zoning laws. Taxes are low as is the cost of living. Beautiful country; lots of lakes and waterways.
Climate is, well...interesting. You never know what you are going to get.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 26 Nov 2014 19:05

Most rural counties in Alabama have NO rules about Dry Cabins. If you are off grid ie- hiden in the woods or mountains out of view of the public, the government does not care what you build or live in if it's dry!pretty simple rule

Offgridmom
# Posted: 7 Dec 2014 02:02

Just had to jump on and clarify a couple of things-Alaska winters can be brutal depending on what part of the state your in but I am in southern Alaska it is currently 35 degrees out and beautiful. Land can be bought cheap and there are many things to watch out for if you do such as access, water and if it's old mining areas mercury can be a problem but if you do your research you can find affordable land. We live here off grid by choice

Ak Steve
# Posted: 19 Dec 2014 14:35

Alaska is a great place with many freedoms. I've been here for 20 years, and i don't know if I could live down south anymore. Living off grid is feasible, but I'm sure it's feasible elsewhere. Alaska isn't for everyone, but if for some of us it's the only place.

rmak
# Posted: 20 Dec 2014 21:56

My hat is off to you folks in Alaska too. I like to watch "Buying Alaska" on TV. The first thing that amazes me is the cost of those places. Even dry cabins are pricey. The second thing is the fact that couples would buy a place with only an outhouse where it gets to be 20+ below. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but no, not for me. I'm not sure I could even answer the call of nature in such cold.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.