Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Urine diverter separator
Smawgunner
# Posted: 31 Aug 2014 11:30

Hey all,
Do any of you use a device to separate your urine in your composting toilets? In my design, I'm going to use one and am looking for ideas. Ecovita sells one that looks great but costs well over 100 bucks for what is basically a plastic funnel. If so, pics would be great!

groingo
# Posted: 31 Aug 2014 12:00

Typically you need the moisture to promote the composting process unless your living on beer or have a really bad bladder.

Steve961
# Posted: 31 Aug 2014 21:30

Smawgunner:

I recently purchased a C-Head composting toilet with the optional external urine diverter. My preference is for urine to be separated to control odor and allow for faster drying of the solid waste. I'd rather have the composting process take place outside in a composting pile. I'm currently in the process of evaluating it and will post a full review when I get some more feedback, specifically from my wife.

While the original C-Head did have a urine diverter, it was only diverted to an internal 1-gallon jug. What I wanted was one that could be diverted to my drywell. So, I talked them into making a version that would do just that. What I found is that a lot more goes into making a good urine diverter than just a funnel and some tubing.

First, the diverter has to be properly designed and located to keep the liquid and solid streams completely separated. Second, it needs a draining system that can deal with a backup in the tubing (i.e. a bubble in the tube). Third, it should have some way to deodorize and clean the urine diverter. This last one is important as urine can have a strong odor and can also build up deposits which will affect function over time.

I've included some pictures of the C-Head that should hopefully show what I'm talking about, although the pictures are a bit darker than I expected.
P1030094_small.JPG
P1030094_small.JPG
P1030092_small.JPG
P1030092_small.JPG
P1030096_small.JPG
P1030096_small.JPG

Smawgunner
# Posted: 31 Aug 2014 22:58

That bathroom is cool! Love the shower. Mine will deposit underneath the cabin for solids and a leach bed for liquids. That set up looks just like what I need. Thanks

redlandfd
# Posted: 31 Aug 2014 23:24

I use a rectangular plastic funnel screwed into position, stuck into pvc pipe and diverted into a buried bucket of limestone gravel. with holes drilled in the bottom. works fine, no odor. I use another one as a stand alone urinal

Fireboat52
# Posted: 27 Sep 2015 22:38

Steve961
Hey Steve, Nice installation! Can I use your photos on the website?

Sandy Graves

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.