Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / $80 eliminator powerbox, wotrh it?
Scott G
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 19:35

I can buy a pre owned Motomaster eliminator 800a powerbox with 600w inverter for $80. Was a gift seller didnt use nor wants. Been in box for a year.

I have a 36w coleman panel and 7a contoller. 300w princess auto generator.

Worth it? I know its far from robust, good for a couple LEDs and charging iphone/ipad. Boosting truck. But its $80 after all.

Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 20:27

A Google found 3 reviews on Amazon. all one star bad. Bur Canadian Tire shows an average 3.3 / 5, with the reviewers more or less split between raves and rants.

If it has sat unused & unrecharged for a year I would wonder about the battery condition and cost to replace it.

I don't see any rating on the battery capacity... need to know that to know how much actual use can be expected from the inverter. The 600 watts is useless without knowing battery amp-hours.

Scott G
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 20:46

Its 28ah, sealed lead acid. Yeah read the mixed reviews too. Thanks for the reply.

Im at a place where its really time to build a small system. Id rather save up $1000 and build a small decent system than buy junk. Perhaps i should start with a good deep cycle 12v battery - or two 6v, charge that with the 36w panel for now, get a decent $300+- inverter...build from there. Upgrade panels and charge controller next.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 21:26

I have the exact same power box and have had it for about five years now. It works great. I use it to power the lights in my pop up trailer when I have guests at my cabin. I also have used it to boost batteries and to run other items with the inverter when power hasn't been readily available. I keep mine at home plugged in so it is always ready to go when I need it. Like mtndon said if it's been sitting in a box for over a year, unplugged I'd be concerned about it though.

Scott G
# Posted: 30 Sep 2014 21:48

Thanks. The jury is still out based on that sittin idle time....good to hear yours has worked out.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 11:28

Scott, I have had an Eliminator Box for years (they are made by Xantrex and the pic below is their equivalent) It is the model with the 400 watt inverter. Outside of the crappy air pump, it has served me well.

I am in the process of upgrading the power at my cabin as you are but do intend to keep this as a standby. The replacement battery can be had fairly inexpensively.

If you feel you can make use of it, grab it! Never hurts to have in a pinch.
400.jpg
400.jpg

Scott G
# Posted: 1 Oct 2014 21:06 - Edited by: Scott G

Thanks for the feedback. Ive decided to pass on it and put that $80 towards a deep cycle battery...partial cost, ill keep saving. Going to slowly build a decent small solar system.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.