Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I think I'm losing my mind, lol
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 02:06

I have a half-shed of cut, seasoned mesquite wood here and I have been contemplating how I can get that to Oregon rather than leaving it behind or selling it. The people renting the house next door to me left the wood stacked up near my property line and shed when they moved out last year. After waiting a polite number of days, I had a friend's son toss it all over my fence and stack it in my shed. I'm sure the landlord would have made off with it otherwise before new tenants came in!

I was planning to put a wood stove in my house here but that changed, obviously. This is excellent hardwood and I'd love to use it in my cabin's woodstove! If I put it in some sort of containers, is it possible to transport via shippers or one of those POD moving units?

rmak
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 09:02

Depends on a lot of things. I honestly would try to sell it. Never been to Oregon, but was at Ft. Lewis Washington. My guess is there is excellent firewood at your destination equal to what you have. You can always load a Uhaul if you are attached to it.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 10:25

I think the cost of transporting it will far exceed the cost to replace it in Oregon. You can buy a cord of dry pine/fir for $200. Not as good a firewood as mesquite, but that's not a problem in a small cabin.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 12:46

If it's all mesquite, I would look for a BBQ joint or serious home smoker that smokes their own meats and see if they would be interested in buying it from you. Mesquite has value to smokers beyond the value of typical fire wood.

Otherwise I agree with other postings, it would cost more transport than it would be worth.

Don_P
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 13:27

I'll agree for another reason, moving firewood is an excellent way to move bugs to places they shouldn't be.

bobrok
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 17:50

^
what Don_P said. I don't know how prevalent these laws are around the country, but in NY it is illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles from it's origin, and the NYSP and DEC will stop, inspect, and ticket.
In our case it's the emerald ash borer. It's decimating our region.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 18:22 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

have a fire in a fire pit at home and enjoy~~ before you move...sell the rest on Craiglist
do not want to move bugs around from other states

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 18 Oct 2014 20:13

Yeah, y'all are right. And I am losing my mind, haha. I just love mesquite. It burns so well. I'll have to find new go-to wood in Oregon. Shouldn't be difficult!

SandyR
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 21:43

I agree with not moving it for the bug reason.

Bldginsp - $200 per cord?!? We pay around $75 a cord here, and $50 at our cabin. It's all mixed hard wood.

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Oct 2014 22:32

Sandy- I think $200 for a split dry cord delivered is what it goes for in northern Cal, not sure Oregon. My neighbor sells green unsplit rounds for $100 a cord delivered near by. Where are you? Your woodcutters work cheap.

Julie- I think where you are going the firewood of choice will be Doug fir, which has the highest btus of the local conifers. Where I am there is black oak which has slightly higher btus than Doug fir but it grows all twisty and is harder to deal with. You are spoiled rotten coming from Texas with the best firewood this side of the Euphrates river, good old hard, tough, dense mesquite.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 00:29

our fire wood is free...now to hook up the woodstove.lol
theres tons of wood in oregon.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 00:53

The wood's been setting in my airtight shed for a year so I doubt there's a bug problem. I'll probably put a little bit in my car for my first fire in the cabin. A symbolic final farewell to Texas, haha. And then I'll get some Douglas Fir. Thanks, bldginsp!

Cabingal3, there may be lots of wood in Oregon but mesquite is crazy hardwood. The stuff burns forever. That's why I was even considering bringing it. I wouldn't have to get up in the wee hours of the coldest winter overnight to reload the wood stove if I used mesquite, haha.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 01:00

sounds grand Julie2Oregon.cant wait for u to get up here.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 01:49

Me, too, cabingal! I'll bring you a bit of mesquite! I already have my UO Ducks sweatshirt, haha!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 08:17 - Edited by: RichInTheUSA

I would contact the owner of the house where you stole the wood in the first place and ask if they want it back. If not, I'd leave it in the shed and let the next person who moves in to your place have it.

Another persons' property doesn't become up for grabs just because the neighbor left it behind. Many leases say that belongings left by the tenant become the property of the landlord. Perhaps they had an arrangement that you were not aware of.

Just a thought.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 09:05

Considering that the wood was stacked up against my shed and, as I stated previously, near my property line and left there, I had every right to it since I waited and no one claimed it. It was likely all on my property and, this being Texas, created a breeding ground for rattlesnakes and scorpions. Those people left their barbecue grill and other stuff on the lawn and the landlord sent a crew in to throw everything away and cut the grass. They also left behind a little dog I fed and cared for until we neighbors rehomed.

I didn't "steal" anything. And I don't see the point of leaving behind a bunch of wood in the shed when I sell the house since the house doesn't have a fireplace or wood stove. The pieces are too big for most people's barbecues.

rmak
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 19:08

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
. If not, I'd leave it in the shed and let the next person who moves in to your place have it.

If it doesn't belong to Julie, why would it belong to them? I'm gonna need to see proof of your internet forum attorney's license please.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 21:17 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

LOL, rmak. Well, I certainly didn't appreciate being called a thief and such. I didn't go into detail in my original post because the issue wasn't who "owned" the wood but what I was going to do with it. It was basically on my property and if I hadn't moved it away so snakes didn't breed there, someone would have made off with it, either to toss it out with the rest of the stuff as the landlord's workers did or to simply take it. The landlord's rep only comes around to show it to prospective tenants when there's turnover and it's ready to be rented. It's actually an investment company that owns it.

TMI, I know. But I wanted to be clear so no one feels behooved of accusing me of illegal activities again. I'm as honest as the day is long. And if we're going to get into legalities, if I had left the wood there much longer, I could have been cited for a code violation because of the snake situation around here. Wood must be properly stored so snakes and scorps can't breed. My property, the tenants were gone, my problem. Not the landlord's problem, either.

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Oct 2014 23:43

Quoting: rmak
If it doesn't belong to Julie, why would it belong to them? I'm gonna need to see proof of your internet forum attorney's license please.

Funniest remark I've seen on this site in years. (my exact sentiment)

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 21 Oct 2014 02:32

Julie,

In your first post, you described your friend's son going onto the neighbor's property to take the wood and throw it over the fence and stack it in your shed, knowing that the landlord would have wanted the wood (Your words, not mine).

My suggestion was to ask the landlord if they want it back.. and if they didn't want it, to just leave it there rather than taking it with you.

As an owner of a small real estate investment company myself, my leases say that any property that a tenant leaves after the end of the lease becomes the property of my company. My attorney put this in the leases so that the tenant would not come back after the house/yard were cleaned out, asking for their prior property back.

It's clear that you were doing the community a favor by preventing the snakes and scorpions to breed.

I'm sorry for having characterized it as "stealing", especially after hearing the rest of the story. That was wrong of me. I was just giving you a different perspective, but I wasn't very tactful in doing it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.