Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Keeping water 'fresh'
<< . 1 . 2 .
bobrok
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 21:49

Thanks to both of you guys for the good info. I'm still in the dark about the yellow in my barrels. If I come on any good info I'll be sure to post up on the forum. Hope you'll do the same!

P.S.: What's the secret to a good martini? I'm curious.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 22:09

As James Bond would tell you, shaken, not stirred.

Even though you have very low sediment levels in your water, you still have some, and even the thinnest layer will be visible on the bottom.

Only other thing I could think of would be rust in your pump or pipes that gets knocked loose when the pump comes on.

Oh, and 1953 Bienvitali dry vermouth helps too.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 27 Oct 2014 12:44

Understand the way chlorine works. It is an oxidizer. It burns bacteria and algae or more correctly stated, oxidizes it. Bromine is also an oxidizer and is also often used for the same purpose of water purification as is fluorine. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite which contains chlorine.

From the CDC website:
Investigations have shown sodium hypochlorite to be an effective disinfectant having broad applications. Although a number of other disinfectants (calcium hypochlorite, ozone, UV, solar disinfection) and treatment processes (filters, slow sand filtration) have been investigated, sodium hypochlorite appears to offer the best mix of low cost, ease of use, safety, and effectiveness in areas where there is enough water to drink and water is not excessively turbid. These characteristics are the reasons why most water treatment systems in the US and Europe have been using chlorine for disinfecting drinking water for nearly 100 years. The other disinfection methods noted above also effectively disinfect water and are useful in a number of settings

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 13:50 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

Anyone consider pool shock? It's purpose is algae killing isnt it?
Stores for long term as well.

URL

razmichael
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 14:28

Quoting: LastOutlaw
Anyone consider pool shock? It's purpose is algae killing isnt it?
Stores for long term as well.

Yes - the use of Granular Calcium Hypochlorite has come up in a number of threads. Handy way to store and then mix up your bleach solution for disinfecting. Slightly more complex as it is a two step process (as your link provides) and a bit of precision is needed when mixing up the bleach stock due to the small amount of granules use but very cheap, easy to store and makes it much easier to ensure your bleach is fairly fresh (thus you have a better idea of the actual strength). It is what I use.

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 11:04

I have a pool at home, but I've never considered using those dry chemicals for my camp water. I guess it just never crossed my mind. You get into a certain mindset about how things should be done and have a blind eye to what could be an obvious alternative.

This is why I like this forum so much.

razmichael
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 11:25

Just be careful that you use the pure stuff not something with added ingredients. For example, HTC has 4 or 5 "shock" products - one of them (don't remember which" is just Calcium Hypochlorite with no additives. I picked up a box that contained a large number of individual packs. When I open one I store it in a glass jar. So far through the summer I have likely gone through less than half the single pack so I think I have 20 years worth of stuff left!

NhLiving
# Posted: 16 Nov 2014 14:10

Very interesting thread. I will be installing 2 or 3 55 gallon rain barrels(Not for drinking) at my cabin in the spring and was very curious about this subject.

North coast
# Posted: 28 Jan 2015 12:55

http://youtu.be/nx3I8FXIOU0 I always look to this video. Filtering out chlorine after you've treated it.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.