Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Renogy three strikes and out.
groingo
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 11:01 - Edited by: groingo

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that my Renogy panels cables and original charge controller are working because the PWM charge controller with lcd readout that was supposed to include readouts for panel voltage and amps had all features but that so back it went, then decided to try the 30 Tracer MPPT charge controller which arrived suspiciously with no shrink wrap or even taped seal on the box and no seal on the bag inside the box when unpackaged it had dirty fingerprints all over it not to mention when hooked up there was no power coming out the battery side, fortunately I purchased it through Amazon so if Renogy becomes an issue Amazon assures me they will take care of it.
Really sucks when you find what appears to be a decent supplier this happens, also their website has been messed up for 3 weeks now which is why I went to Amazon.

drb777
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 12:30

I also question the integrity of the Renogy website. I purchased directly from them their solar panel pole mount kit when I found that it had fairly good reviews. I received it in a reasonable time but without any assembly instructions. So when I contacted them and explained the situation they assured me that they would at least send me an email with instructions attached. They never did, fortunately I was able to search out a download from another site. I think they have some good products, but clearly have some management/customer support issues. "Approach with Caution"

groingo
# Posted: 26 Oct 2014 12:50

My other gripes were similar in that they did not follow up when they said they would, all orders after the first I got a confirmation that they took my money but I never got a tracking number or anything even showing the orders had even been sent, fortunately when I ordered from their Amazon site Amazon provided way better information and no excuses plus there was a lot more product variety that were never even shown on the Renogy site, of course it may well be that the Amazon site is where they dump their defective stuff as I just experienced.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 12:43

I just bought four 300 watt panels. I will say that getting correct info from them about my shipment was like pulling teeth.
I ordered 3 panels that shipped right away. They arrived quickly without issues.
Then I decided I needed a 4th panel....ugggh.
What a headache.
The forth panel would cost an additional $250 shipping on top of the $234 for the panel.

Couldnt go there.
I had UPS pick it up from their loading dock and ship to me .

For 3 days I was led to believe that it had shipped after calling sales to check when I didn't get a tracking notice.
Salesman assured me he physically checked and that it had shipped.

The next day I called again and had another salesperson check.
He said it was still there.

Sales people lie.
That's what they do these days.

Anyway I finally got my panel after worrying whether it would arrive in one piece.

It did and I have it.
I've now ordered the Midnight Kid Charge controller.

Waiting for it now.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 15:27

last outlaw. four 300 watt panels (1200w) on a 30 amp controller? uh. is this a 48v system?

not to sound like ..., but dude. you need a bigger controller.

30 amps at 12v system = 360 watts
30 amps at 24v system = 720 watts
30 amps at 48v system = 1240 watts

I mean I'm the king of over paneling but ... just checking

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 15:45 - Edited by: MtnDon

The plan as last talked about was a 48 volt system.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_4889_0.html

The Midnight Kid passes with flying colors with the 2 panels mentioned. IIRC, the Kid will hardly ever work harder than at about 75% of its capacity, as indicated by the Midnite sizing tool.

Last Outlaw

creeky
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 16:37 - Edited by: creeky

better controllers for this situation are 80 amp flexmax from Outback and 60 amp tristar from Morningstar. both are made in USA. morningstar controllers are the best selling controllers in the world apparently.

i haven't seen outlaw talk about doing a 48v system. i have only seen other folks suggest that for a 30 amp controller he do a 48v system. probably misread.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 17:43 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: creeky
made in USA.

...as are the Midnite Solar charge controllers.

groingo
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 18:07

Midnite and Outback both call Arlington home, Midnite was started by former Outback people and both make high qualty products.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 18:11

Quoting: groingo
Outback people

...and those are engineering people, not just sales people. FYI, Magnum inverters are also made in WA state (Everett) and was also started by former Outback engineers.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 19:19

I did not know that. thx guys.

It's a world economy now. I really like the TBS inverters from Europe.

and of course. I really like morningstar controllers because. that's what I have.

I do wish they'd make an inverter over 600 watts tho. that little inverter is awesome. I mean idle power in the milliamps. but i need more power for the fridge/microwave.

that cheap 15 amp mppt controller is perfect for someone with a small system looking for reliable charging and small 12v load control tho. and made in the US. cough cough.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 16:57

Quoting: creeky
last outlaw. four 300 watt panels (1200w) on a 30 amp controller? uh. is this a 48v system?

Yup... the plan is for 48 volt panel setup into the MN Kid. This leaves me room to expand into more panels later as well if I need to.

MI drew
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 19:44

Sorry your having issues. I have had nothing but good experiences with Renogy. Maybe their growing more then can handle... Not sure. I have the Tracer 40 and 2 panels with the first order. Just got 2 more panels a week ago. On my first order I had an issue with the meter and the led that was supposed to showing charging wasn't working. They had a replacement on the way before I could say thanks. Probably going to order my pure sine inverter from then as well.

spoofer
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 20:07

Love my Renogy system too!

groingo
# Posted: 29 Oct 2014 23:50

The Renogy stuff that is working (my initial bundle of panels and controller) are working great and should I ever decide to try them again I will definitely go through Amazon which if Renogy can't make it right Amazon does, nice to have something to fall back on.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 30 Oct 2014 22:20

I'm hoping my panels work well. I don't have any bad feelings toward Renogy and if the panels run well I may order more at some point. The guys who packed my last panel did a great job and I'm happy that it arrived unbroken through UPS. I didn't feel I got bad service. One person lied to me. That's not enough for me to punish the entire product line.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.