Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Burning pellets in wood burning stove.....
spencerin
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 00:45

How well would a small wood burning stove heat a 140 sq. ft. space using pellets? For cost and space reasons, I'm researching buying a very small wood burning stove, but inserting a basket for burning pellets. I would think they would burn the same since they are wood, too, but some sources say you can touch most pellet stoves without getting burned. Maybe this is because they have ventilation systems, and since the small stove wouldn't have one, it'd be the same as burning chopped wood. But, I do not know.

Basically, I can buy a portable "military" camp stove and 3" pellet vent kit for $300+. An actual wood burning stove and 6" vent kit = $600+, a bigger hole in my wall, and less floor space. An actual pellet stove and vent kit = yikes!

bldginsp
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 08:19

You will have no problem heating 140 sq ft with any fuel burning appliance. I bet you'll have the opposite problem- too much heat. Many posters on this site with wood burning stoves complain about the problem of regulating down their stove enough in their small cabin to keep the temp. acceptable. Maybe you have hit on a solution here- just because it may be a lot easier to regulate a smaller fire in a pellet basket than it is to regulate a small wood fire. I'd just be sure that the stove you get is tightly constructed so you can limit air intake, and install a damper in the flu to help restrict flow.

But unless your 140 sq ft has no insulation and you are in sub zero temps, any fuel burning appliance will keep you warm.

But, will it burn overnight? Pellets don't, so I hear. That's why many people install direct vent propane heaters, which come on at 3AM by thermostat after the wood burner dies out.

spencerin
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 16:34

Thanks for the advice. I'm do some research on direct vent propane heaters, too.

spencerin
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 00:32 - Edited by: spencerin

Hey, bldginsp, will a wall-mounted propane heater leave "streak marks" on the wall over time from the rising heat? My cabin is one of those Amish-built log ones, so the interior is raw wood. I can't / don't want to paint the interior, so if the heater will stain the wood, I guess I won't mount it, or find some sort of backing for it. But, there are many wall-mounted ones for sale, and I did not find a single comment either from the manufacturer or a buyer about it.

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 06:56

Never seen streak marks from wall mounted direct vent propane heaters, inside or out. Never heard of it. On the inside it's just releasing hot air, no fumes, so there is nothing to leave a residue. On the outside the gases let out are mostly CO2 and H2O which won't leave residue.

When I go up to work on my place in winter I stay in an older somewhat run down roadside motel close to my place. The little cabins I stay in are heated by old but reliable Empire brand wall mounted direct vent propane units. The only streaking on the wall is from where I hung my sopping wet gloves above the heater against the wall to dry overnight.

No, you won't get streaking. Wall heaters are a bit pricey, dragging propane out there is a pain and a bit expensive, other than that they are the perfect solution

creeky
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 12:30

spencerin I'd be careful about a "camp" stove with a 3" pipe. Could be pretty leaky. I know I bought one I'd happily sell you, leaks like a sieve and so I only use it outside to burn scrap. Probably turn it into a water heater for the jacuzzi. lol.

direct vent propane heaters shouldn't leave streak marks. at least mine don't. they also don't need backing. tho I put concrete board behind them, just in case.

one thing about burning pellets. they make great fire starter but at 5 bucks for 40 lbs. A "face cord" of good wood weighs about 1500 to 2000 lbs. Costs around 100 bucks. 100 bucks worth of pellets gets you 20 bags or 800 lbs.

something to consider when heating with pellets. the weight of wood equals the btu output.

thought i'd throw that out there.

spencerin
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 19:06 - Edited by: spencerin

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to NOT go with any sort of wood burning or pellet stove.

I should've been more specific about the propane heater - I meant a ventless propane heater, the ones you simply mount to the wall and hook a hose up to, priced anywhere from $130-$300+. Here's an example - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reddy-Heater-18-000-20-000-BTU-Infrared-Dual-Fuel-Wall-Hea ter-with-Blower-IWH16NLTB/202275097. Will these stain the wall at all?

I have the 9,000 BTU Mr. Heater Portable Buddy right now. I know the floor isn't insulated and I'm not sure about the roof, but with solid log walls and Amish construction, the cabin's pretty solid. That said, two winters ago I used the heater in upper 20-degree weather, and it took 2-3 hours to get the interior to a *tolerable* temp. So, I want to upgrade to a range of 15,000-20,000 British Thermal Units.

On the other hand, I bought a 5,000 BTU window A/C unit this summer, and it cooled off the interior to "ice cold" in 15 minutes.

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 19:48 - Edited by: bldginsp

The ventless propane heaters have been very controversial on this site. Some people like them. Some people stopped using them because they got a headache from it. Some didn't like the amount of moisture they put into the cabin. Some, like me, just won't burn any kind of fuel for heating without venting the products of combustion out, no matter what. Your call.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 19:59

The way I see it, you are worrying about the wrong thing. I understand the desire to save money. But there are so many down sides to the ventless heaters I'll never be caught dead using one. No sense going on yet another why not as the forum is replete with discussions mainly centered on water vapor and condensation and the dangers of breathing products of combustion which include CO, carbon monoxide.

spencerin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 00:39 - Edited by: spencerin

I give up.

Cost was only partly driving the ventless option. The other is that I want as many items as possible in my cabin to be removable with minimal, if any, damage. A direct vent option (or wood burning / pellet stove) puts a hole in the wall. Now, if I could find a way to vent a direct vent model through a window, then I'd be more inclined to pursue it.

There are some smart people on here, and maybe someone could help me accomplish this.

Just
# Posted: 4 Nov 2014 07:04

If you don't want to vent, then your"only" option is electric heat a vent less heater is not a option it is a death sentence in a live in cabin .IMO

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.