Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Which brand of well pump?
bldginsp
# Posted: 31 Oct 2014 13:12

Will have a well drilled soon, in the process of picking a pump brand. Won't know what size to get til the well is done and depth and flow are determined, meanwhile I'm researching the different manufacturers.

Which do you think are the better brands of well pumps and why?

I'll probably have a total of 300-350 ft. vertical lift, probably choose a 5-7 gpm pump, 3/4 or 1 hp, 3 wire 240v.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 01:25

The local well drillers at my cabin all wanted "Grundfos", they tend to know what is the best stuff. All the bids included the Grundfos"

The 3 wire, with a capacitor at the top inside a control box is better, but not required. You will need a torque arrestor, stand off to keep pipe from hitting the well case, foot valve to keep water from draining out of the system, a sock to go over the pump inlet to prevent "sand locking" and lots more stuff I am learning. Are you in a real cold area? Then a pit-less adapter is needed and a underground vault for your pressure tank, switches etc.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 07:19

Thanks Toyota- I've been researching installation and I agree with what you've said- though I think the sock should really only be used in bad sand conditions.

Grundfos is one of the most respected names, along with Flint and Walling, Franklin, and Goulds. They seem to be the most expensive. One poster on another forum said it's a bit like choosing between Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Franklin has the best reputation for pump motors, they make pumps too but also their motors are used in some other brands pumps like Flint and Walling.

I read several posters with Flint and Walling pumps that are still in service after 40 years- pretty amazing. But, does Flint and Walling still make pumps today the way they made them 40 years ago?

Maybe I'm sweating this issue of which brand to get a bit too much, but I don't want to have to replace the thing, and I'm willing to pay extra for the insurance. But I haven't yet found a single source that can give me a clear overview of all the brands available, so I know what's what. I'll just keep poking around, and see what my driller thinks.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 08:16

We are installing a Grundfos 5SQ Soft start, 115 volt, 2 wire unit. Soft Start is essential if not critical for Solar Powered (battery driven) pumps lest you wish to kill your batteries fast.

I've looked into many many pumps for our application and everyone always comes back to the Grundfos Soft Starts as the best of breed. Even my well driller (230' deep well) swears by them.

85 Gallon Pressure Tank in pump house (reduces frequency of pump running time and is plenty of reserve NB NOT CHEAP)
Pitless Adapter @ top of well head (in case of freezing issues)
Torque Arrester
2x 4" Solid O-Pipe running underground 4' from Pump House to under cabin. 3/4" PEX from PH to Cabin in one and 12/2 wire in other.

The pump house (6'x6') will have the entire water system:
It has 5" of foam insulation 360deg of building (even underneath the concrete slab) including 1" of thermal break between joists & sheathing
- which houses it's own batteries & solar panel and
- 12v electric car heater set to 40f.
- There is also a 120v plug on PH side that is a pass through for the Generator
- as well as a freeze free tap on side.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Pump House being put together: Using 2.5" Roofmate R-12.5 panels Times 2 for 5" total R-25 (even under the concrete pad)
foam panels almost completed, this is before the 2" inserts covering over the joists.

Hope it Helps
N & S panelled with foam
N & S panelled with foam
N covered with OSB (see wellhead in centre)
N covered with OSB (see wellhead in centre)

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:24

Thanks all. Wish I could set it up with solar, seems impractical now. I'll ask my driller, leaning toward Flint and Walling 1hp 7gpm. We'll see

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.