Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / how to work a wood stove
mattd
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:07

This seemingly simple device is complex! I have the vogelsang 96k BTU heater. It says it'll heat 800 sqft for 4-6 hours. My cabin is 320 sqft, but has a barn style roof that is 8' tall in the center. This deer season I was in it for 3 days/nights, temp was mid teens/high mid 30s. While awake I was able to get the inside to 64, that was both the damper and intake closed. We'd go to bed and 3 hours later we'd wake up freezing and the fire was out, barely any coals to get a new fire going, and that was a chore.

I'll say that I don't have any insulation on the cabin yet, just 2x4 framing wrapped in felt and 4x8 pressed siding. I would still think that stove would heat better, and certainly last longer. I hear stories of people getting the stove to glow. I'm not even close to that, not that I want to be.

Using good seasoned, split wood. What am I doing wrong? what is am effective way to use the damper and intake?

spoofer
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:27

Cheap stove. I had one for years. Paid about $200 at tractor supply. Bought a used Jotal off Craiggslist. Life is goaded not burning a cord of wood a week...

groingo
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 17:27

I too had one model 26 box stove and the cast iron sides were less than 1/8 thick in the center so lacked enough mass to really hold any amount of heat plus draft was poor because it leaked couldn't stay hot long enough....it just bled air and heat.
The wood sounds like it is either damp or just pithy or soft, if not it is the stove.

mattd
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 18:08

I saw a lady on YouTube that cemented all the joints and gasketed the door. Then set fire bricks on top to hold it down tighter. She had power and a fan but seemed really happy w it after the mods.

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 18:32 - Edited by: MtnDon

Wall and roof/ceiling insulation!!!!!

That will make a big difference. As it is the heat will be pouring out the roof.

But it is what it is; and you might be getting your moneys worth.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 19:53 - Edited by: Malamute

I had a similar one in a cabin, it never was very satisfactory for making heat. I caulked all the seams and tried double damping the stove pipe. It never held heat for long no matter what.

Try building the fire a little differently. It may be hard because of the small stove. Lay the big wood tightly together on the bottom of the stove, fill it about 2/3 full. Build a starter fire in top of it, and once it gets going well, shut it down as best you can, (and on your stove leave the stove pipe damper about 3/4 closed). I started doing it that way with my Blaze king (didn't require much wood though) and am able to get all night heat from pine mill slabs or even lumber scraps.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Nov 2014 21:08

I have the Vogelzang BX 26 E. I have had it for over 3 years, and it works great for us. It is at least 1/4 in. thick on all sides, top and bottom. I built a grate to keep the logs off the bottom and to help airflow. We have cooked on it and it saves big bucks on our propane costs. Last year propane prices went up over 4 bucks per gallon around here. I live about 30 miles east of St. Louis, and last year it was bitter cold. We have 2 propane wall mount heaters. We use them mainly at nite and while we are not home. I spent less than $300 last year for propane, and used barely over 1 chord of wood, plus pallet scraps for kindling etc.
We have it lit right now. Its 34 degrees outside. The room with the stove is 89 degrees, the other room is 78 degrees, and the bathroom is 73 degrees. ( 30 feet away from the stove!) We use a fan to circulate the air from room to room.
It has been lit for 4 hours, and we have only burned 3 split oak logs so far tonite.
The worst drawback about the stove is you can't load enough wood to burn all nite. I put a load in it, then close the flue about 3/4, and shut the damper about halfway. It burns a few hours, and in the morning it almost always burns completely. For me it is harder keeping a small fire goin' than getting a ragin' blaze going. We always have to keep a window cracked.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.