Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Polaris generators
groingo
# Posted: 6 Dec 2014 23:17 - Edited by: groingo

Just stumbled across the Polaris website and see that their specs and video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TtrX7fwSA8 are very close to Honda and Yamaha in fact the 2000 series looks to better Honda for low fuel consumption.
Pricing is also a bit better with shipping included from Polaris.
My past experience with Polaris ATV'S and Snow machines is they are quality stuff, anyone use their generator?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Dec 2014 12:50

Groingo, good looking generators. I wonder if they are actually made by Polaris or offshore made for Polaris (hopefully, to their higher specs too) and with the name Polaris, parts should be easy to come by too.

It looks to be a little heavier than the Honda (2000 anyway) and a smidge noisier. The price is decent, but not too far off from a good search price for a Honda (about $60).

groingo
# Posted: 7 Dec 2014 15:49 - Edited by: groingo

From what I have found this far the engines are made by Kipor....it was stamped on the engine so that means these are made in China for Polaris....what a shock!
Thing is, the Chinese companies can build what you want to any quality standard you want so fingers crossed Polaris will keep the standard high.
Another thing, they have an Amazon site for parts and products as well and a broad support network so service should be pretty respectable....either way it's always nice to have more choices.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Dec 2014 18:29

Kipor generators are nice quality, they are almost identical to Honda in shape and features, but yellow. The design of these is quite different, probably so they dont look like the chinese Kipor unit.

More choices is always good for consumers, I agree and I bet Polaris's name on it, the quality will be good.

China builds loads of stuff. 15 years ago, our economy was 3X theirs, now the 3rd world country has just recently surpassed ours as of last week.

Ak Steve
# Posted: 19 Dec 2014 15:03

I have a Husky 1850 generator. I think it's identical to the Coleman Powermate 1850. I got it at a pawn shop for $150. I've been using the tar out of it to build my homestead. It has a subaru motor. Runs without a hitch, is quiet, easy on fuel, lightweight, and has just enough power do do the job.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Dec 2014 20:41

I bought my 1st generator this week~~a used small 2300 ~~my lawn mower repair man had it sitting in his yard for sale along with a garden tiller and a couple lawn mowers. He sold it to me full of gas with sta bil gas additive in it for $50 bucks.runs good and quite had 2 outlets.....not a bad price for a back up during bad weather. I could also use it for power to run saws etc when I am building deer stand towers out at the farm. Both my camps have power. But for $50 bucks it worth that to run a couple lights due power outage.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Dec 2014 20:44 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
China builds loads of stuff. 15 years ago, our economy was 3X theirs, now the 3rd world country has just recently surpassed ours as of last week.

I saw this on the news last week....really sad.

I was out looking for Christmas gifts this evening...so sad everything I saw was made by the chinaman...so sad..

OK rant over ( not really)...back to your regular scheduled programing..

groingo
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 12:05 - Edited by: groingo

Not to come off defending China but they can build whatever you require to any standard you require, if you want cheap Walmart junk they can do it but if you want high end aerospace or medical quality they can do that too, it all depends on what your designs specs require and most importantly you need rigid quality controls in place.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 21 Dec 2014 12:43

Quoting: groingo
Not to come off defending China but they can build whatever you require to any standard you require, if you want cheap Walmart junk they can do it but if you want high end aerospace or medical quality they can do that too, it all depends on what your designs specs require and most importantly you need rigid quality controls in place.

I just hate sending my $$$ to them.

Polen99
# Posted: 26 Jul 2023 07:09 - Edited by: Polen99

The generators are being manufactured by a third party that Johnson and Eastman declined to name. The compact generators will become part of Polaris' parts, garments and Polaris accessories business, which has grown 30 percent to $599 million in the past year amid a mix of acquisitions and product cross-selling.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.