Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / how to achieve prime oil lamp ambiance
. 1 . 2 . >>
pizzadude
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 00:28

I'm no expert by any means, but playing around with my lamps I think I've found a wick shape that provides a nice flame and optimal lighting.
I like to refer to my flames as having a "molar" shape. Like a big yellow tooth. What I do is I cut the wick across as straight as possible with a scissors (or whatever works) and then very gently trim off the tips of the sides of the wick.
Hope this helps good luck!

pizzadude
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 00:37

Dang. Can't upload a pic. I gotta figure that out still lol

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 11:45

I get the same shape flame. I dont do much of anything to the wicks other than be sure the crusty accumulation that can form on the end is broken up.

One thing I've noticed with my lamps, I turn the wick up some to light, especally if it hasnt been burned in a while (can break up the crusty stuff with the Leatherman tool), and when turning it back in, it goes low, then as its turned in a little more, the flame comes back up. Thats my sweet spot. Less smoke, wicks last longer, or so it seems.

I only use my lamps for power outages now, but they were my primary night lighting for several years off and on.

old243
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 12:58

We leave a lamp burning , all night . Turn it down real low and keep it a piece away from where you are sleeping. When you have that urgent bathroom call, you can see to move about without falling over something. Old243

Littlecooner
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 16:30

Is this 1815 or 2015? Have I entered the Twilight Zone Rod Sterling always warned me about?

Thanks for the heads up, I am still a few months away from having to light with a kerosene lamp. Yes, sounds like you found the sweet spot.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 18:17 - Edited by: creeky

yup.

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 19:10

i love them.i have several...i am so afraid of us knocking them over.i may put them on sometime once we are at the cabin living full time.

pizzadude
# Posted: 2 Apr 2015 23:44 - Edited by: pizzadude

Yes cabingal, I too fear bumping into one on accident. I prefer lamp light over any other, but can't help but think about the consequences if I were to slip or something. I'd be done for.
That's why I don't fling my banana peels just anywhere. If I got a lamp lit, that peel is going in the trash can.
😔Safety first

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 00:03

i know.pizzadude.i figure they have wide base bottoms u know.i am sure they are safe.
they are so pretty.i love them.
i may just break down and use them more.
me and the mister are sort of klutzy.
thanks for posting about this.it has made me think i need to use them more at our cabin.
do u carry yours from place to place or keep it in one spot all the time?

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 00:05

here is one i have never used.love it.
ok.gonna start using them.
oil lamps
oil lamps

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 00:08 - Edited by: cabingal3

here is another one.i keep them by each chair on a stand at the cabin for reading at nite.
i am afraid i would knock one over in the nite if they were by our beds.
now u got me interested in using them more.
oil lamps
oil lamps

pizzadude
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 00:30

Quoting: cabingal3

i know.pizzadude.i figure they have wide base bottoms u know.i am sure they are safe.
they are so pretty.i love them.
i may just break down and use them more.
me and the mister are sort of klutzy.
thanks for posting about this.it has made me think i need to use them more at our cabin.
do u carry yours from place to place or keep it in one spot all the time?

Cozy is the word that comes to mind when I think about oil lamp light. I like to think about pa ingalls and his little house in the big woods and on the prairie.
Fire can still be an excellent source of heat and light, just like it was back then. but the feds are getting a little.. well, fed up these days. Hope they don't outlaw our lamps.
I carry mine where I need to be, sometimes I leave my lamps stationary. Depends on what I'm doing.
Reading my favorite book under oil light....... ya can't beat that

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 00:55 - Edited by: cabingal3

oh pizzadude.now u have gone and done it!
thats exactly what i think of when the oil lamps are out on the tables ready to use.
i even have my laura ingalls books i read each nite at the cabin.
ok...that does it.
gonna start using them all the time now.
they are beautiful.thanks for getting me inspired!

Littlecooner
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 07:15 - Edited by: Littlecooner

Any one using the basic wall holders? I see them for sale all the time in my area at flea markets and craft fairs. Two pieces of wood, one for placing on the wall and the second at a 90 degree angle with a slot cut (like a horse shoe opening) in the center with a U shape that you just set your lamp on or actually "in" with the reservoir down below the slot and the bulb at the wick holding the lamp in place . I am planning on trying these for lighting when my cabin is finished. Looks really ease to make your own with about 2 foot of 8 or 10 inch wide board, a jig saw and a couple of wood screws. Thinking of doing that as I want the rough, homemade look in the cabin, like is was done 100 years ago.
wooden_lamp_holder.j.jpg
wooden_lamp_holder.j.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 08:46

Littlecooner.i sure would love one of those...pretty and handy too!

Malamute
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 12:26 - Edited by: Malamute

The wall holders are good for keeping lamps out of the way. Be sure they have nothing combustible above them, and they arent too close to the ceiling. I've used them, (actually, wall candle holders) and put my hand on the ceiling above them to see if it gets too hot to hold it there.

Any of the lamp or candle holders give more usable light with a mirror behind them. Some of the ones I've used had mirrors on them.

I leave lamps in place as much as possible. Candles are much safer to carry around. The old fashioned candlestick holders with the slightly dished bottom and a finger ring are made for carrying around. If you drop them they go out. Having them in all metal also keeps them from starting a fire if the candle burns all the way down, like if you forget them or fall asleep. I started a small house fire once with a candle when I didnt have a proper candle holder and fell asleep. No other light was available near the bed at the time. I would never ever use a wood candle holder again, no matter how cute or rustic. Metal only for me.

There are also candle lanterns, some are storm lanterns.

Needless to say, when using lamps and candles, or woodstoves, keeping fire extinguishers on hand is important. I keep several nearby. The cheap skinny ones are OK, but run out quickly in use. Having several, easily available (AND NOT HIDDEN IN A CLOSET!!!) is a good idea. The larger ones are better yet, and are rechargable if used or get out of date. Have we all checked our fire extinguishers to be sure they arent out of date and out of charge? Over time they can lose charge.

I strongly suggest NOT keeping the fire extinguisher so close to whatever may catch fire that you cant get to the extinguisher if a fire happens. Fire extinguishers take on an added importance in remote places or where help may be a long time in coming if you can get a message or call out at all.

Fires were one reason old time places consisted of many outbuildings. If your life depends on your place being intact, keeping spare change of clothes and important things in another building is a good idea. I keep my unused seasonal clothes and overflow clothes in outbuildings, and keep a change of clothes and sleeping bag in my vehicle also.

I keep at least one fire extinguisher in each of my vehicles also. I gave mine to someone that needed it, and I know of one other person that put out a vehicle fire with timely application of a fire extinguisher when everyone else was freaking out.

How many keep first aid kits where they can find them? How about in your vehicles also?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 19:39 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I do. One should also have bolt cutters and heavy gloves. If you are stranded on the interstate during a emergency these two items could save your life.

I have six oil lamps in my cabin all on sturdy tables away from traffic patterns. They are never moved while lit and NEVER lit while asleep. We do not use them in our loft only battery operated lights up there for safety.

TranquilMan
# Posted: 11 May 2015 01:13

I'm off-the-grid so I love my oil lamps especially in the fall when the days are short and cool. I have a Welsh Coal Miner's Lamp (kerosene) that puts out a nice soft light and a little bit of heat. I hang it where it can't get knocked. I also have an old railway switchman's lamp (kerosene) that I use when I sit outside with my guitar at night. The nice thing is that it is really stable and the wind can't blow it out. My favorite is my Aladdin table lamp (kerosene). Again, I keep it in a safe place where it can't get knocked. It's great to read by and on a cool night will warm the cabin if on for a few hours. I have an old glass oil lamp that I use for dinner table ambiance (paraffin oil). Never had a problem but do take great care and only fill all the lamps outdoors. I don't use them if kids or pets are around and have extinguishers handy. They add to the charm of the lifestyle.
Tranquil Man
Welsh Coal Miner Lamp
Welsh Coal Miner Lamp

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 May 2015 01:20

Anyone use the mantle type oil lamps? I hear they put out a lot more light, but are a bit harder to fiddle with and use more oil. Anyone used them?

TranquilMan
# Posted: 11 May 2015 01:33

The Aladdin lamps use a mantle but not like a Coleman lantern that you pump up. It is very passive. I don't have a picture handy but will post one later if I get to open up this week. It puts out a nice white light and is very even with no flicker. Mine has a lamp shade on it that is nice. It is more of a task light that lights up a corner or the table you are sitting at. It is an amazing piece of hardware. I love it!
Tranquil Man

TranquilMan
# Posted: 11 May 2015 01:44

I forgot to mention that, yes, they are a bit harder to fiddle with but once you figure it out it's pretty simple. The wick is circular and needs to be trimmed occasionally with a small special tool to get black charred wick crumbs off so that it is flat. The flame burns in a circle under the white fabric mantle. The height adjust of the flame is important but once it is hot and set right it is stable. A bit if a learning curve but worth it. Did I mention that my wife has never touched it?
Tranquil Man

groingo
# Posted: 11 May 2015 11:59

I too tried the candles and lamps and had two key issues, the flame and the odor even with unscented fuel so for the past four years I just keep a 10 LED flashlight next to the bed and one by the door (Walmart $5.48 with battery), no odors no flames and the battery with a lot of use only needs changing once every year maybe and that only costs under three bucks.

TranquilMan
# Posted: 11 May 2015 12:49

Yes groingo, I have those flashlights too but it does alarm me when I see how many batteries get used in a year. I'm a huge fan of new LED technology and quiet clean solar power. We have solar powered bed lamps and a flashlight by each bed. However, this thread is about "how to achieve prime oil lamp ambiance". I love the ambiance of a candle or an oil lamp. Such a beautiful word too. Did I mention that this ambiance is romantic as well? I love this thread.
Tranquil Man

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 May 2015 14:01 - Edited by: bldginsp

Thanks for the input, TranquilMan. I'll try the Aladin mantle lantern.

Last year I got a rechargeable LED lantern with lithium batteries. Forget which brand. Has a dimmer, lasts a long time if used mostly on the low setting. I think these will be the way of the future for a lot of us as the battery costs continue to decline. Mine was $60-70 and it seems to be well made. Can recharge it off my car, but last summer I killed the old battery in my truck recharging my cel phone. Drag.

But, rechargeable LED lanterns don't provide romantic ambiance. Just as well- I don't need to attract amorous bears, mountain lions, coyotes or porcupines.

MtnDon
# Posted: 11 May 2015 14:58 - Edited by: MtnDon

I like Aladdin lamps. They represent the pinnacle of oil lamp technology. We have one, but haven't had fuel in it for probably 6+ years. It is pretty much kept because it looks cool and could be practical in an emergency situation.

Steve961
# Posted: 11 May 2015 18:21

My favorite lantern is sold by W. T. Kirkman. It's a replica of the Dietz 350 Little Giant. I especially like how the base is so wide and stable compared to most oil lanterns, as I'm overly careful when it comes to any open flame in my cabin, but I also really like the galvanized steel finish on these. I also use the Klean-Heat Kerosene alternative that's only $11.00 per gallon at Home Depot.
WTK350.jpg
WTK350.jpg

gsreimers
# Posted: 11 May 2015 18:58

My wife was out at her fathers farm a couple of weeks ago and brought back a lamp that has probably been there for 50 years. Tried it up a the cabin and loved it. I bought two smaller ones and next time I go up, these will be hung on the pillars on the front deck for soft lighting during evening cigar and scotch time.

We've been working on the cabin a couple of weekends this year already and set up the kitchen with two shop lights to run off of the generator while cooking. My new rule is now, after dishes, it's quiet time. No generator, no electricity. Just a little soft lamp light and a little quiet music to go with a cigar and a drink on the deck.

TranquilMan
# Posted: 18 May 2015 13:27

Hey Bldginsp,
Further to your enquiry about mantle oil lamps, I opened my cabin the other day and snapped these pictures for you. I agree with MtnDon that these are the pinnacle of oil lamp technology. They are not only very safe but extremely elegant. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you understand them they are great. Important to learn: the initial flame setting for warm-up before you make the final adjustment, not setting the flame too high or you will burn out or scorch the mantle, how to trim the circular wick. I especially like this lamp in the spring and fall because it kicks off enough heat to keep the cabin warm so sometimes I don't need to fire up the wood stove. It is also great if my solar system goes down. This one is fairly simple but there are some really nice ones available.
Tranquil Man
Aladdin kerosene lamp
Aladdin kerosene lamp
without the shade
without the shade
the mantle
the mantle
the wick and flame spreader
the wick and flame spreader

TranquilMan
# Posted: 18 May 2015 13:33

Also on the theme of "how to achieve prime oil lamp ambience", I score two of these candle holders at a garage sale for $1 each. Best buy ever. Sets the mood for a romantic dinner.
Tranquil Man
candle holder
candle holder

TranquilMan
# Posted: 18 May 2015 13:39

I love lamps. My dad was a railroader and gave me this switchman's lamp. It burns kerosene and smells a bit so I only use it outside on my deck table. What I like is that the wind won't blow it out. Great for a quite night time sit with a sip of scotch.
Tranquil man
switchman's lamp
switchman's lamp

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.