- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / new 60 watt equiv LED from Philips
MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 14:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

$5 The new 60W equivalent draws 8.5 watts and puts out a stated 800 lumens,

Article

ColdFlame
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 16:30 - Edited by: ColdFlame

I saw that on Engadget this morning. I looked it up on HomeDepot.ca and wasn't able to see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a US only sale. Sad...

(Update to my post - I see at the bottom of your article that it doesn't include Canadian stores)

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 16:32 - Edited by: bobrok

@MtnDon,

I'll ask someone who would know this answer:

Is it worth replacing my 14 watt CFL bulbs for these new LED bulbs at my off-grid camp?

How about at my on-grid house?

At what point does doing this become cost effective?

pizzadude
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 16:52

bobrok
Though cfls are a good power saving bulb, I personally would stay away from them. They are known to burn up and in some cases explode when they expire.
I haven't heard of such problems with the leds. They are a bit more expensive than cfls, but they typically use less power, and they can be dimmable. LEDs IMHO are safer and more efficient.

I have a half dozen or so of the Phillips 11w 880 lumen bulbs. I like them a lot.

Wow. 800 lumens @ 8.5w,, for 5 bucks?? That's the best I've heard of so far👍👍

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 17:13 - Edited by: bobrok

Thx, dude.
yeah, that special price caught my attention as well.
I guess didn't clarify myself. I already own all the CFLs I care to, and yes, one coincidently went out just yesterday (way ahead of life expectancy schedule of course).
So at what point does it pay to just replace those installed CFLs?
Or should I just wait 'em out until they all die and replace with the newer technology?
I suppose for my off grid needs it might be worth it to save juice, but then, hey, the solar power is free!!
My house OTOH would need many, many more LEDs to replace currently in - use CFLs.

groingo
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 17:36 - Edited by: groingo

I have been using the Feit Electric LED bulbs for three years now, (BPA15/LED/RP) they are what is called an effect light that might be used in a ceiling fan or around a bathroom mirror, they look like a small light bulb and draw only 1.7 watts and put out out equivalent of a good 40 watt light.
The key is to remove the outer glass bulb which exposes the 9-10 LED's and the bulb just screws into a standard socket.
Another way to get more light from little is a frosted or textured lamp shade which spreads the light out and removes glare.
These can bulbs can be gotten from Bed Bath and Beyond for around $6.00 each.
Power source modified or pure sine wave makes no difference.
LITES.JPG
LITES.JPG

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 17:56

Changing from a working CFL to a new LED is probably not really cost effective as far as having the power saved pay for the new bulb. I say that w/o bothering with any calculation; just a guess.

But I switched all the CFL's at the cabin as soon as I saw the Cree's a year or so ago. We switched a bunch of CFL's for LED's at home because we could dim them. We have used CFL's in a few places for over 12 years and had no problems of any kind.

Cree also has replacements for 48" T8 FL tubes.

groingo
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 18:45

Being that I need only three of these in my cabin and they were dirt cheap I figured it's time to live life on the edge, had a couple issues after a couple years with fried diodes but that was apparently from a bad batch, because the replacements which were free have had no problems.

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 19:05

I am going to buy 1 of those new LED bulbs and simply do a side by side test up at camp this summer to see if there is a marked difference in output. As you say, Groingo, I have only a few lamps at camp, so it really wouldn't be a killer to buy all new.
I will say this. I toured a new bathroom remodel at a friends house recently and when I commented on the lighting my friend told me they were LEDs!
I was VERY impressed with them.
Thx to all for the comments.

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 19:36

Quoting: MtnDon
We switched a bunch of CFL's for LED's at home because we could dim them.

Do the new LED types give off a warm light, or just intensely white?

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 19:51

Depends. Many have twat the color temperature. Low numbers 2500 for example are the warm yellow light. Higher numbers 5000+ are the colder light that is actually more like high noon daylight.

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 19:54

I switched to all LED in my home for 3 years now. Most of them are Warm White but I got a couple Pure White for specific locations (like the range hood).

I've been buying my LED's from Ikea as their prices have always been better than most anywhere else and when they are on sale, just can't be beat. Of course as I transition to Cabin FT the LED's are going with me.

BTW: They light up great cold or warm, unlike CFL's and contain no mercury or other nasties. Also, Ikea takes back old bulbs @ no charge, so if you need to dispose of old CFL's or tubes.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 21 Apr 2015 21:27

LED lights have a few very desirable benefits.
First, they love the cold. No warm up or fad of light even under the coldest temps.
Second they have a very long life.
Third they do not change color temperature with age.
Forth no mercury
Fifth they are solid state. A LED is actually a semiconductor. Expect the prices to drop lower and lower as production produces higher and better yields at less costs.
Sixth there's very little wasted light. LEDs are directional

As far as color temperature LEDs give a very wide selection. What is called cool means blue with the bluest being in the 5000k range. What we call warm means red with the reddest being in the 3000k range. What most of us find acceptable is somewhere in between. I like about 4200k

bobrok
# Posted: 18 May 2015 19:48

I just bought two 2-packs of these Philips at HD (special @ 2 bulbs for >$5) because I was impressed with the specs and also because I have a very old solar power setup that really strains to deliver.
So far I can say that as far as lumens of output, that is, 800 lumens vs. 900 lumens for my older CFL 14 watt bulbs I see absolutely no difference in brightness. We'll see how the power draw is vs. the old bulbs and I'll let you know. I'm absolutely impressed with the instant on/bright of the LEDs vs. the CFLs, and the color of the light is better on the eyes (less yellow, more white).
IDK how long these will be on special at HD, but I'm headed there to buy more ASAP.
Philips LEDs
Philips LEDs

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2015 20:19

I am about to upgrade my cabin to all LED's. I have all CFL's in there now. I like the yellowish "natural look" vs that bright white, feels too cold to me. So I look or the LED's in natural.

bobrok
# Posted: 18 May 2015 20:36 - Edited by: bobrok

I may not have the same eye as you do, tmt, but honestly we both like the LEDs and don't think they are at all harsh looking. I'm gonna change them all out at camp and use the CFLs as replacements in our house until they're gone.
If I want ambiance I'll use the gas lights

Wilbour
# Posted: 18 May 2015 22:37 - Edited by: Wilbour

Picked up 2 LED flood lights new in package at the local Value Village for about $3 (that's with a senior discount (Old guy at the cash thinks I'm his age and for a buck I don't argue )). I replaced the CFLs that were above the couch aka sofa aka chesterfield. First thing I noticed is how directional they were. Perfect for the entertainment room where you want light over the seating area but not washing the TV.

I'm a little hesitant with the CFLs (Not the Canadian Football League ) ever since I removed one to see the base totally melted.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2015 22:51

Quoting: bobrok
I may not have the same eye as you do, tmt, but honestly we both like the LEDs

I have found the LED's to look like the natural light. I wasn't paying attention one time and it was a bright white cold look. But seen they have the "natural" version too. I have been swapping my entire house out now. I'm just tossing those old CFL's out.

I don't have gas lights, so these natural LED's is the next best thing. LED's were just coming around when I built my cabin, too spendy at the time. I wanted low consumption as I am off grid, so now that LED's have come way down, I'm all over it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.