Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Woodstove???
RazrRebel
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 11:50

I'm currently building a 16 X 24 cabin in Southwest Va. We're going to have at least a 3/4 loft too. I was trying to figure out a good woodstove that you can cook on too. I have a small Buck model 18 that can be used as a insert or freestanding. It's rated too heat 1200sq. ft. I think this takes into consideration the blower on the stove also. We won't have electricity at our cabin so no blower. I have used it in our fireplace for two years. It puts out quit a bit of hot air, but the top doesn't get hot enough to cook on. Iwould love to find a Fisher Baby Bear, but I've searched for awhile. I was hoping someone in Va. might have some suggestions especially 16' X 24' owners. I see alot of suggestions on stoves but, I think locality rules out certain brands, especially used stoves. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

groingo
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 12:08

First thing, with a loft area your going to have to come up with a way to bring the heat down into the living area or possibly some way to isolate it when not in use.
As far as a stove to cook and heat you will want it close to a window or door to ventilate and regulate the heat or you can cook with a good old propane Coleman stove that way you don't cook yourself out of the place when prepping a meal.

RazrRebel
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 12:42

The cooking will be only when I have a fire going in the woodstove. The stove will be placed under the loft so most of the lower cabin will be heated before the heat gets up in the top.

creeky
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 12:59

um. given that yer in virginia. and don't let this be gospel. but.

if yer firing up a woodstove hot enuf for cooking. yer going to heat yourself right out of the building.

propane, as groingo suggests, and ventilation will be your friends.

groingo
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 14:54

Do yourself a favor, grab a Coleman propane cook stove, a five gallon pro tank would last months (or use the screw in bottles), and you can cook when ever you want and you will love it!
I can take a frozen dinner and ready to eat in under 30 minutes, defrosted 10, cause when your hungry you want it now!

Been using one for ten years plus and absolutlely love it, all for under a hundred bucks complete, Stove, hose, tank!

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Apr 2015 19:20

Numerous posters on this site have commented that their small woodstoves were too large for their small cabin. But I've also read that the high quality stoves that are very tight can be dampered down enough to not roast you out. But then to cook on it you'd need to crank it up. And then there is the problem of a small stove burning out at 3am.

I have a Morso 1410 squirrel which has a design with a combustion chamber in the top of it, above the burn box, where additional fresh air is added to the smoke before it enters the flu. This design causes some of the unburnt gasses to burn, increasing efficiency and reducing pollution. It must also have the effect of causing the top of the stove to get hotter, since the secondary combustion is taking place just below the top surface. I haven't used this stove myself so I don't know but perhaps it is a favorable design for the circumstances you describe. It is a very tight stove that can be dampered way down, but may still have enough heat to heat canned beans. Numerous other stoves use this design, it's one way the manufacturers meet EPA rqmnts

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 16:46 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I have only 236 sq feet, and my tiny woodstove runs me out. I have looked at that Squirrel 1410 Morso that bldg insp mentioned, very nice little unit. I need something even smaller. I am going to have some 1/4" plate steel sheared to build a smaller trash burner style and replace my cast iron 3 peice unit with seams that seem to suck a little air and prevent me from shutting it down enough. I will use the door off my original unit, convert the old stove to a planter for my cabin yard art.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 May 2015 16:51 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

TMT... off topic but....when will toyota have rear leaf springs? I was told by dealer that no parts are available yet?????
Mine are collapsed and noisy as all get out. No deer around my cabin after I drive in in my Tacoma

rockies
# Posted: 5 May 2015 21:53

Why not try a marine stove? They heat really small boats, and you can cook on them too.
http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

Gary O
# Posted: 22 May 2015 21:48

Anyone look into this?
http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 May 2015 23:43

The rocket mass heater works well for a full time residence. Gary, you could use the slash from cutting / thinning your trees. They work best with small diameter fuel.

Gary O
# Posted: 23 May 2015 00:23

Quoting: MtnDon
Gary, you could use the slash from cutting / thinning your trees. They work best with small diameter fuel.

So I was told
any experience with them?

groingo
# Posted: 23 May 2015 12:21

Another very good fuel for a stove like that is Scotch Broom which burns equally well green or dried and is very high in flamable sap so it burns clean as well, also makes a good fire starter and grows most everywhere there is open land.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 May 2015 14:16

Quoting: Gary O
any experience with them?

Only second hand from visiting people who had built one.

offgridjunkie
# Posted: 23 May 2015 16:03

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I have only 236 sq feet, and my tiny woodstove runs me out. I have looked at that Squirrel 1410 Morso that bldg insp mentioned, very nice little unit.

I use one of these in my 14X14 cabin with a full loft. You really have to be careful because it will cook you out. When it is 10 F out side in the winter, the loft is 85 F and down stairs is 75 F. We end up sleeping with the windows open. I am still learning how to use the stove to heat the cabin and burn through the night.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 May 2015 20:51

Quoting: LastOutlaw
TMT... off topic but....when will toyota have rear leaf springs? I was told by dealer that no parts are available yet?????

Lastoutlaw, drop me an email at my username here at yahoo dot com and I will email you the factory TSB, looks like a simple fix.

Rockfish Dave
# Posted: 30 May 2015 10:09

Do yourself a favor and look at gray stoves

http://www.graystove.com/

Very efficient and have a relatively large flat cooking surface. They come with a built in heat shield that will reduce your stand off from the wall.

Rockfish Dave
# Posted: 30 May 2015 10:38

Video's of Gray stove cooking:

Bacon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyzyRe11A4Y

Peppers and Onions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVAhTjEH-tE

Sandwiches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3syAl0UHQ

Burgers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWGlzNQg5To

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.