Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tesla Powerwall
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 1 May 2015 08:14 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

What do you think about Tesla's 7 & 10kWh battery announcement?

"Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries can be installed together for homes with greater energy needs."

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 May 2015 08:41

Sadly quantities won't be available till 2017 but limited supply will be available inn the US this year and some for export in 2016. (Export includes Canada - sheesh)

Models
10 kWh $3,500 For backup applications
7 kWh $3,000 For daily cycle applications

Reference links:
Press Kit release
Tesla Powerwall page

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 1 May 2015 08:54

We need him working on a solution to stop using clean drinking water to flush waste and to turn grey water into drinking water. After and if he masters the energy storage issue this would be a piece of cake for him.

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 May 2015 10:27

Q? (and I'll admit I didn't watch the videos)... is that just the battery or does that include the battery charger? I did see that it does not include an inverter. With the voltage of that battery it doesn't mesh with any existing equipment.

creeky
# Posted: 1 May 2015 10:54

They look good. Price is pretty good.

My only wonder is that the voltage is 450v. So we need a winner of Googles competition to make a cheap high voltage 2kw inverter.

Tho there are already plenty of high voltage DC to AC inverters for on grid use.

Then there's the bits and bobs. Disconnects. Fuses. Built in?

For solar charging you'll also need to move from the standard 150v controller to a 600v class. Is anybody making a 600v mppt controller with 450v output?

It also means your solar panels will be running in series. So high voltage 48v panels are going to be required (I have 8 48v class panels I would have to add two more and bundle all my panels into one series string. Yikes).

$3k for 7kw battery pack. Pretty sweet news for us off grid types. Esp. when it comes with a 10 years warranty.

I'll bet you can easily get one into Canada by picking it up in the US. Which (insert whistling sound) might be really easy.

And hopefully it will drive price reductions on other providers battery packs.

groingo
# Posted: 1 May 2015 11:17 - Edited by: groingo

Please excuse the sarcastic tone, but after waiting over an hour for the live feed and nothing this is yet another thorn in my posterior buttox.....just three simple questions.

Called Tesla and Solar City and they don't have a clue what it will take to hook the batteries up, do they have their own charge controller built in....reply DUH....what kind of inverter or is it built in....DUH....do they hook up with MC4 connectors...DUH...?

SolarCity did the installations of all of their 320 test units but nobody knows nothing...one thing for sure, it should definitely spur on some competition and drive costs down in about a year so will sit back and see where the market goes.

Till then, my meagher setup is working amazingly well, fact it looks much better!

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 1 May 2015 13:07

I saw the presentation online and I don't recall anything technical was said and I assumed they would be plug and play with solar city installations.

I did hear or read somewhere that it would be a 30 minute install and that they will will cost 30% less when they are manufactured in his new factory.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 May 2015 23:49

SO excited about this and was wondering what y'all thought of it! I guess the moral of this story is sit tight, keep it simple for now, and in a year or two, this could be both amazing and reasonably affordable!

creeky
# Posted: 26 May 2015 10:27

It's actually looking better and better as the specs come out.

There is no charger / inverter built in. But there is a DC/DC converter built in.

So, given that solar will adapt to the high voltage with the appropriate controller (one of the new high voltage models) you should be able to fit it into a solar system pretty easily.

Quoting: groingo
they will will cost 30% less when they are manufactured in his new factory.

And if you could get a 10kw model for 2,500. That would be ridiculously awesome.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.