Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / New low power computer for off grid
groingo
# Posted: 20 May 2015 10:39 - Edited by: groingo

Well, this past year a half have been using Android and Windows tablets in stead of the old Lenovo Laptop for many reasons but I never could find one I felt comfortable with until I found this un assuming little bugger the HP Stream 11 laptop.

First it has the same guts as a tablet, no fans, no hard drive, has an old style non glare screen so I don't have to look at my reflection while watching a movie, white not black keys so use in low light is much easier, great stereo sound with loads of volume, a good touch pad (no more finger smears from touch screen and much more precise), battery life is a solid 9 to 10 hours and charge time are in hours not half days!

Smooth surface so easy to clean and is uses 3 watts LESS power than any of the other laptops and tablets (5 watts alone) and being a Windows machine,it uses 2.5 time LESS bandwidth than an Android machine to do the same online job!

Has three USB ports, Large memory slot and is fast at up to 2.58 Ghz.

Priced at $199.00 or less at Walfart or Office De-Pot.

Have had it three weeks now, and those of you that know me, (am fussy as hell) so if it makes it past a week before returning....it's a keeper!
Stream.JPG
Stream.JPG

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 May 2015 08:38

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been mulling this over, too, and was wondering if I should return to a tablet. What does it include for word processing and storage? I'm going to be doing a LOT of writing and my stuff will have to be compatible with other computers so editors can read it!

buckybuck
# Posted: 25 May 2015 11:18 - Edited by: buckybuck

I looked at these but ultimately went with an Asus X205. Why? Because I'm cheap, and you could get the Asus X205 for $99 US last Black Friday. Specs are similar to the HP Stream. The Stream has a matte screen while the Asus' screen is glossy, so your preference there could be the deciding factor between the two.

One thing I like/don't like about the Asus is it has a 19-volt battery. The good thing about this is that higher voltage means you can fully charge it in about an hour using its proprietary charger (and you get a true 12 hours out of a charge). But that also means you can't charge it using the common, 5-volt USB charger most tablets and phones use.

Both the HP and Asus are real Windows 8.1 machines (Microsoft doesn't charge manufacturers a licensing fee on these low-powered machines, which is why you're seeing a lot of inexpensive Windows tablets advertised these days), so you can run any Windows word processor on them. I use LibreOffice; again, because I'm cheap.

Both computers have 32 GB solid state storage and a SD card slot. 32 GB may not seem like a lot, but really is adequate for most people in today's cloud-based world.

groingo
# Posted: 25 May 2015 12:30 - Edited by: groingo

Julie:
Doing a fair bit of writing myself, the 32 gigabytes of storage is no real concern because I always put anything I don't want to lose onto a USB Zip Drive of which there are three USB ports on the computer so you're set.

This does come with Office preloaded to use for one year which I go back to my Microsoft Publisher use since its very inception so you should have no issues.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 May 2015 23:30

Thanks for the info, guys! Very helpful!

paulz
# Posted: 2 Aug 2015 11:25

Good info for this old computer dummy. I am wavering between buying a laptop or tablet for use in my cabin. Being able to charge off 12V DC (which my wife's Kindle can do with the 5v adapter) is of primary concern. Is a tablet the way to go? Do all tablets charge this way?

groingo
# Posted: 2 Aug 2015 11:43 - Edited by: groingo

Paulz
I have relegated the HP to backup duty and am currently using a tablet.
All tablets 10 inches and below use 5 watts but what you really want is minimum picture resolution of 1280 by 800, so you can view the image on the screen clearly from any angle where lower numbers you have the more it must be positioned perfectly or it gets weird looking at the slightest angle change.

Operating systems are ALL messed up now as with Android and yes Windows 10 the updates are forced, you get a bad one and you are PORKED!

Sound is another biggey, most tablets the sound just sucks.

Best advise, forget computers and the internet and ENJOY LIFE!

Those that know me here know I am a picky S.O.B., that is why I have gone through 19 tablets of all brands in the past year and a half, looking for one that could cross the 15 day mark without mucking up and that is where compromise comes in, bottom line after all this, buy it from a real store or even Amazon that has a good reputable return policy, you will need it!

paulz
# Posted: 2 Aug 2015 14:30

Thanks Gro, that is superb info. Our cabin is only 20 miles from our house, we spend about a night a week there. By dark we just make the bed up and relax, and that's when I wrestle my wife's Kindle (7 inch tablet thingy that she reads romance novels on) out of her hands and surf the 'net (poorly, don't know what operating system that has), that's all I really need it for since I'm home the next day with a desktop for heavier stuff. I have a 12v television (OTA antenna) and DVD player for entertainment.

So I need to check resolution, operating system, return policy. Thanks again.

charliebishop
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 11:04

I use a Fit-PC2i for my computing needs, its 12v and uses about 8watts, and runs 24/7 at my cabin collecting data from my weather station and security cameras.

they have many different versions, would highly recommend them!

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-pc2/

Gary O
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 11:35

Quoting: groingo
This does come with Office preloaded

Great info, groingo.

I can't seem to unhinge from my desktop, mostly due to observing the experience my lovely mate has had with her tablet and notepad and the lack of programs (like word), aaand the teeny tiny keys (I need a full blown keyboard).

Will check it out.

Thanks, desert dude.

groingo
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 18:26 - Edited by: groingo

The HP was good but I have since found yet a better fit for my Off Grid fanatacism which is the 10.1 inch RCA Viking Pro 2.
It comes with detatchable keyboard, 32 megs on board, LLP 5.01 and a super 1280 by 800 screen.
It works great on the internet in fact easily outran two Windows 10 tablets at a fraction of the cost and consistantly uses less power than any at 2.5 watts when plugged in on full battery, when charging it pulls nearly 4 watts which is a nice side benefit.
Priced at only $99.00 in store or online and after 23 tablets this one really stands out not just for price but performance and value.
k2_123f882c496e4d.jpg
k2_123f882c496e4d.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 21:52

Groingo, does that RCA charge with 5v, 12v, 18v?

Gary O
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 22:04

The HP was good but I have since found yet a better fit for my Off Grid fanatacism which is the 10.1 inch RCA Viking Pro 2.

Welllll, I'm just gonna wait another five minutes to see what you come up with next.... (ya had me at 'HP')

groingo
# Posted: 1 Sep 2015 10:39 - Edited by: groingo

Paulz:
The RCA charges using a 110 transformer at 5 volts 2000ma.

Gary O:
Being that I am always in search of a better solution, the H.P. was good especially due to the anti glare screen,and low power useage, but had issues for me regarding the dot pitch on the screen where you had to have it fixed just right to see it clearly and ultimately, a removable screen is tough to beat when you just don't need a keyboard like for watching movies at your bedside like I do.
Mechanically they were much the same inside but the RCA detatchable keyboard, less fussy touchpad, lack of Overbloated Windows operating system, picture viewable clearly at off angles was the clincher with the side benefit of being half the price while using half the power was that next step that just made sense.

Regarding fat fingers and the need for a full sized keyboard, remember that tablets picture rotates from horizontal to verticle, so a good useable keyboard is no real problem, but if your fingers do get in the way the included keyboard does quite nicely, and if you want to use the onscreen keyboard but have troubles with not being able to see around your fingers a stylus pen is the solution, using the stylus makes seeing easy.

With regard to Word or word processing programs, there are a lot of them including Microsoft Word Free for Android Operating systems.

I have the luxury of having used a lot of computers and being able to see what works for me and what doesn't based on my personal needs and not everyone is going to see things the same or have the same experience as me....I am always looking for that next thing that can move me forward.

I too was attached to my desktop, heck I still have Emachine's first computer the 400idx and the first sub $1000.00 dollar computer the Compaq Presario 2200 black box!

I never in all my days thought I would accept that a computer could do all that the desktops did and be able to slip into your pocket, who'd a thunk it?

Gary O
# Posted: 1 Sep 2015 11:40

Great info as always

I'm goin' to the store.
Can't get hurt for a hunnert bux

paulz
# Posted: 1 Sep 2015 11:55

Me too!

Brknarow
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 09:29 - Edited by: Brknarow

I love PC gaming and the ability to continue doing this is a priority with designing my solar setup. Those with the ability or tenacity to build your own computer have an option for a low power computer and not being skint with a dead weight laptop further shackled with OS bloat.

AMD makes an extremely low power CPU with GPU on chip called FM2/FM2+. This is supposedly, based upon reviews, much better than the horrible on-board video attached to some motherboards.

I've read of people using an FM2 machine with a power draw of 32 watts/hour or less, but I'm sure these people are simply web surfing and gaming can and does tax a computer.

The FM2+ chips pulls a lot more power, around 75-100 from what I've read, but have a superior GPU which will render all but the more intensive newer games at low to medium settings.

I know most here have not interest in gaming, but a simple FM2 machine using a free OS, either Linux or a pre-owned non OEM copy of Windows, should be able to build a low powered PC for well under $500 that will serve for everything, not GPU intensive, such as watching video, web surfing, writing, or about anything else most people expect from a computer.

groingo
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 10:11 - Edited by: groingo

Here's a hot tip for when online performance seems sluggish.... and there will be times with Android based products.
Because Android and their Apps are constantly updated (many bi-weekly) they tend to be unproven and can have issues but the most critical component is the Browser when online performance can range from amazing to what is wrong slow and clunky....this is typically the browser causing these issues especially if you are keeping your cache and histories clear and it still persists.

The majority of Apps are made by amatures but Google has botched their fair share to be honest as well and APP makers are using this botched stuff as their foundation so you see where this goes.

The consistantly best overall browser I have found is the Yandex browser made by Russia's version of Google but they seem to do it better with consistantly higher quality releases and much more innovative bleeding edge product.

So when your Android starts giving you fits online remember, don't panic, there is a simple solution.

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Sep 2015 11:14

Google has botched a their fair share

I know this from trying my wife's notepad. It has a Google version of word. A real piece of doodoo.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 10:13

I was all set to buy myself a cabin computer for Christmas. Thought I had the latest one goingro recommended on my watch list but upon double checking I have this one bookmarked instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230942293293?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AM EBIDX%3AIT

No idea where I came upon it. Anyway, what's the latest groingo, you still recommending the RCA?

groingo
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 11:37 - Edited by: groingo

Well, actually over time regarding Android products RCA has the best overall quality especially with their system updates while the Nextbook Aries 8 tablet is the best overall of the tablets with the highest IPS screen resolution, good sound and here is the catch....DO NOT USE GOOGLE PLAY and it is a very good tablet.

That said regarding Android tablets I went back to Windows because I found I needed a DVD drive due to the many internet outages this season, I wanted something I could watch DVD movies on as well as do everything else (HP 15 f272wm) and with that the price did take a hike upwards but with it came a 15.6 inch screen, good sound quality, 2.8 ghz Pentium quad core very fast performance while using only 7 watts power which makes Win 10 run very well at $299.00 at Walfart.

All the others I still recommend, just depends on your needs.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 12:30

Thanks. Now that you mention it I think I would prefer a Windows machine, but not a $299 one. I don't need the DVD, can you recommend anything for less that uses low wattage and 12v or less?

beachman
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 18:02

Yes, I remember the good old days when bought a 20mg (not a misprint) hard drive computer with a color monitor for only $3,500. Now people complain when they spend over $300 for a really good unit.

buckybuck
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 18:22

Geez, I paid $300 for my first hard drive alone. That was in 1987 and it was a 20 megabyte drive. And that was way bigger than the 8 mb ones we had in the workstations at the Fortune 500 computer systems company I worked for at that time. I remember bragging to my coworkers that I was never gonna be able to fill that huge hard drive!

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 19:21

Asus Transformer Books are nice windows machines in 10 and 12" screen sizes.

groingo
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 22:24 - Edited by: groingo

If you go with Windows you want at the very least 2 GB ram( the more the better), Intel Pentium inside is a must (there really is a difference) and at least 2 ghz quad core to start, the more the better because Windows is mega Bloatware and needs it.

Again, mine only uses 7 watts even while using the DVD.

I have always had good luck with HP products.

I remember my first computer the Epson 286DX with Cyrix Power!

paulz
# Posted: 3 Aug 2016 19:33 - Edited by: paulz

A friend has loaned me a Microsoft Surface tablet/laptop. Pretty odd operating system, Windows RT 8.1 I think. It does have some fairly neat features, the keyboard and charger cable hook to it magnetically, and it is 12vdc. Also has a USB port.

Not sure if I'll offer to buy it from him, it's a bit odd and out of production if I'm not mistaken.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Nov 2017 11:37

^^ Well I didn't get that MS Surface, some software issues....

Groingo, or anyone, are your recommendations above still the hot poop for 12v, low wattage Windows computer? Christmas is coming..

groingo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2017 16:04

paulz,
How time flies, my main computer is a Kindle Fire 10 HD.
Has a large battery 1080 res screen, good sound and works great even with crummy wireless.
The key to its success over the others is product support plus the can be gotten now for $99.00.
A great, solid, ultra low power consumption, high quality product!

paulz
# Posted: 29 Nov 2017 16:28

Thanks groingo. We have several 7 inch Fires, they are good. Maybe I'll try a 10"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.