Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Attaching solar panel to corrugated roof?
SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 11:56 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Upgrading from my Harbor Freight 45W panels, purchased a 100 watt panel (Windy Nation brand) and would like to attach it securely to a corrugated roof. There is sheathing under the corrugated galvanized steel, so don't know how I'll find rafters for secure mounting.

I've read that any fasteners need to go through the corrugate "peaks" as opposed to valleys, and if replacing existing fasteners, need to move up to next larger size. Gaskets and sealants needed.

Power cables to be in conduit and raised a few inches above roof.

Cabin is about 39 degrees north latitude. I was considering propping back of panel up a bit from my roof (angle unknown) with some galvanized angle iron, shooting for about 33 degrees.

Existing panel gets a bit of shade, or else I'd just mount panel on old frame. Higher up on roof is sunnier. I don't want to get rid of my trees and natural cooling.

Any special tricks to securing the panel without compromising the existing roof? Other considerations?
Cabin roof angle
Cabin roof angle
Current panel mount
Current panel mount

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 12:06

what a buddy of mine did in your situation is he built a flagpole with a pine log. He put his panel at the top of the pole. A 100w panel doesn't have a lot of surface area to catch the wind. Plus, like your situation, he's pretty protected by the trees.

This way he avoided having to put holes in his roof. Raised his panel about 10 feet above the height of his roof (his cabin has a loft so it's pretty tall.) And now gets about 3 hrs of pure unshaded sun (summer time).

It's pretty cool. He even has a winch set up to lower and raise the pole.

Maybe put a pole in front of where your panel is now. There's no window there. And it could go higher up.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 12:20

Hadn't thought about a pole mount. Might open up some possibilities...

drb777
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 13:03

Renogy offers a fairly niffty pole mount bracket that U-bolt attaches to up to a 4" OD pipe/pole. Product number MTS-SP100. Not cheap, but well made/designed and strong. I haven't found one similar elsewhere, but possibly.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 13:42

i'm not sure how my friend attached his panel. but U bolts for mounting mufflers are pretty cheap. and tsc has good sized ones like 5" for tractors.

what my pal liked is it got his panel up in the sunshine. it was cheap. two 8' ? poles in the ground (he used 6x6 pt he found in the river one spring). one 20-24' pine pole in the air (cut off his property). some long bolts. and it was easy. plus. with a 12v system you don't want long cable runs. so he has his close to his batteries/controller.

me. I try not to remember that he's showed me his fancy pulley lowering/raising system ever time I've visited.
(kidding. only every other time).

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 14:13

The solar industry has all kinds of gadgets and gizmos for attaching panels to roofs, but in your situation it really comes down to sealing a penetration. The more penetrations the more chance of a leak. I like the pole idea if it works.

Often what I see the installers do is coordinate with roofers when the house is reroofed, and they instal brackets on the plywood before the roofing is installed. This lets them be sure they hit the rafters, and lets the roofers do the waterproofing while the roofing is installed, which is the best time.

When installing on tile they use special brackets that reach under the tiles so they don't have to cut them. Pretty tricky. Could be used with corrugated, if you layered the corrugated.

Both these suggestions mean a reroof which I don't think is what you had in mind. But for just one or two panels you wouldn't have to rip up much roofing.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 14:38

I like top of pole mounts over roof mounts wherever s pole can be used. That method does cost more as it must be sturdy enough to take high winds.

groingo
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 14:44 - Edited by: groingo

How bout building an A frame platform on the ground, simple, portable, can adjust easily for season changes, easy cleaning and maintenance, have yet to find a down side all for a whopping $17.00!
IMG_20150717_114640..jpg
IMG_20150717_114640..jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 14:52

Quoting: groingo
...have yet to find a down side

deep ground snow ??

groingo
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 14:55

Shovel or leg extensions.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 17:29

You could make something like the A frame but make it so it mounts over the peak. Any attachment could be on the ridge minimizing the chance for a leak

Turbogeno
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 06:32

Quoting: littlesalmon4
You could make something like the A frame but make it so it mounts over the peak. Any attachment could be on the ridge minimizing the chance for a leak

And hold it down with ballast. No roof penetrations, like this:

Solar Panel Mount Option

groingo
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 10:34 - Edited by: groingo

Even when the A frame was ground mounted, it has to be tied down for when that odd gust comes up from behind and wrecks your whole day, a roof mounted one would be much more difficult to secure, its those tail winds that sneak up on you and muck things up!

Steve961
# Posted: 19 Jul 2015 23:59

I built a small elevated ground mount for a single 200 watt panel, although I designed it so it can be easily upgraded for a pair of them. The two treated fence posts were pounded in by a hydraulic wood post driver and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I probably have a little more than $100 into the mount, and most everything except the posts was purchased at Menards. The angle is adjustable for different times of the year, it's tall enough that snow doesn't get in the way, and the panel is easily removable if I want to store it in the cabin when I'm away.
Mount.jpg
Mount.jpg

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 13:32

I decided to make my own pole mount, will see how it holds up! Made with 16' pressure-treated 4x4, some various pieces and steel angle. Corners are gusseted, glued and screwed. Buitt at home and car-topped to cabin.

Took a few hours to dig hole in clay, 32" to frost line (ugh). Then I had to maneuver heavy assembly (without panel) into hole to check location, clearances, etc. Managed to drop it a few feet while lowering, no damage except one bruise on me... Attached panel, fought with plug connection for an hour before it would connect right... Carefully raised (without dropping this time!) and connected.

Nice feature is that this panel doesn't need a diode in series with the panel to prevent discharge- Harbor Freight panels needed this and it dropped voltage a bit.

Will see how this works! Will be checking battery water level more often now.
Being assembled
Being assembled
In place
In place
Another view
Another view
All assembled
All assembled

Jebediah
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 15:54 - Edited by: Jebediah

SE Ohio

I removed mine from the roof when I re shingled. I like your pole mount idea. You could easily remove one bolt from the 2x8's and make the angle adjustable. The sun is pretty low here in Nova Scotia so to be able to adjust the angle will be a must have. Now that the lake is frozen over its easy access to my place for atv's so I will be surprised if my ground mounted panels don't go missing.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 16:36

Jebediah,

My previous panel was adjustable, but I picked a fixed angle for this one as I seemed to have plenty of battery charge with 45 watts. Also I was worried that being adjustable might make it a bit weaker. Time will tell. In your neck of the (north) woods, I agree you'll probably get good value from the adjustment. My panel runs LEDs for a few hours and a stereo all day, that's all.

IMHO, pilferers don't seem to go after solar stuff very often. My neighbors panels have set down low for years. They did lose a gas grill once. I wouldn't dare leave a chainsaw or gun out in my area, but solar seems safe so far.

Just
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 23:32

Ours sits on a bow in the river , giving us clear skies and reflection from the river . not sure about our mounting still in our first year .
south west
south west
south east
south east
1000w 72 volts
1000w 72 volts

rockies
# Posted: 7 Jan 2016 19:35

http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

Optimum angles

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 10:09

I did something similar as SEOhio. I attached my solar panels to a post at the back of my cabin. I used a log as my post and built a platform on top to place my two 40 watt panels. I routed grooves in my log post wide enough for a muffler clamp to sit in and built a platform for the bottom of it. The muffler clamps are bolted to a backing board and left a little looser. This allows me to rotate the post to follow the sun during the day. I put a little handle on the post and at night I rotate it to catch the morning sun and during the day I rotate it to catch the afternoon sun. When we are not there I leave it in the afternoon position to catch the most sun. They have been up for two years now and it is working well for me.
IMG2013060300101.j.jpg
IMG2013060300101.j.jpg
IMG2013060300102.j.jpg
IMG2013060300102.j.jpg
IMG2013060300103.j.jpg
IMG2013060300103.j.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 10:14

afternoon position
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG

SE Ohio
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 15:49

Skoota,

Really like the structure you made! Compliments your cabin.

SE Ohio

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 16:06

Thanks!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 18:05 - Edited by: LoonWhisperer

Quoting: SE Ohio
Skoota,

Really like the structure you made! Compliments your cabin.

Agreed! Very cool.

I am looking to mount two Coleman 40 watt panels and in my neck of the woods it would be very difficult to sink a post. Your setup looks ideal.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 18:54

My panels are actually the 40 watt Coleman ones. I mounted them on the angle that they have with their built in bracket. When I was thinking how I wanted to mount themithought it would be cool if I could follow the sun with them but wanted them out of the way. This works great for me so far. I'm sure a metal pipe etc could be used instead of a log.

Don_P
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 22:47

On the pipe mast, back in the dark ages when we actually got a tv signal I had a vertical pipe mast. I had drilled and inserted a rod through the mast so I could turn it easily. The bottom rested on a treated block with a lag sticking out of it for a centering pin... a panel has potential uplift. At the eave the mast passed through a short section of slightly larger pipe that was welded to a bracket that allowed running some ledgerlocks up into the subfascia and soffit framing.

creeky
# Posted: 12 Jan 2016 13:19

I put mine on dock hinges. This lets me adjust for the season. I get about 30% better power production. And in the winter the snow slides off much easier. Giving me quite a bit of extra power.
hinges.jpg
hinges.jpg
combiner_wired.jpg
combiner_wired.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.