Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / wiring to the panel?
FishHog
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 10:41

Bought a couple used panels, there are no wires hooked up to them. Didn't take a picture, but I can. There are 6 or even 8 different wire connections on the back of it. Obviously there is a + and - and my volt meter showed good voltage off of them when I tested it so I bought them. Figured I could find a schematic on the internet showing the various hook up options just to be sure I know what I'm doing. I should have taken a picture, but didn't think it would be difficult to find. Everything I can find on the internet is a panel with the manufacture wires already coming out of it.

Any one got a diagram?
I'm sure I can figure it out when I take a closer look, but I'm at work now, panel is at the cottage and I was just trying to do some homework on the computer when I had the time rather than waste time at the cottage. I know there are 6V hookups which I'm not going to use, but are the other 12v connections just for stringing multiple panels together with extra hookups or why are there so many connection points?

thanks,

old243
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 13:15

Fishhog, What type of panels are they, what do you intend to hook to them . Are they house panels, for 120 , 240 volt use,
'also look on the nameplate , it will give the voltage rating and the amperage capacity.

Tell us what you have exactly , you will get lots of help. old243

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 15:16

Yes I should taken a picture and written this stuff down off the panel. just 12v panels. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I look in detail at the cottage, just figure it wouldn't be hard to find a wiring schematic for a 12v panel on the internet. But seems they all come with the wires attached and nobody actually hooks up that part. Can't be rocket science, just trying to do what I can at home to not waste the valuable time at the cottage.

thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 15:25

I think he's talking about solar PV panels, not circuit breaker panels.

It would be best FishHog to identify the manufacturer and model, and get their info from them. Or you could stick it in the sun and see what voltage it produces. But you need to know wattage to figure the rest of your system.

Really though, you should start designing a solar system from the other end- your usage. Then figure the number of batteries you need, then the type and number of panels. So you are doing backward by getting panels first but I'm sure you can figure it out.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 15:40

Need a picture for sure. There should only be two lines coming out of the panel. + and -

Do the panels hook into a solar controller? And the controller has various line outs: one for the battery and one for the lights controller (which many low cost controllers have)???

Name, type and serial number for sure. There should be a decal on the back of the panel that will give you all the info you need.

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 15:54

sorry, yes solar panels. 100w, 12v panels.
thanks anyway guys, didn't think it would be so confusing. I'll do my homework and ask if I need help. I really don't think it will be difficult, I'm sure in 10min with a volt meter I'll make sense of it.

thanks,

creeky
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 19:12

if it's 100w panel, probably 17v give or take. that's 6 amps. Pretty standard 100w panel.

There will only be two wires out.

You could clarify what
Quoting: FishHog
6 or even 8 different wire connections on the back of it
means.

rmak has a good diagram of his system which you might want to search for.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Jul 2015 21:19

Sounds like the box where the panel wiring terminates and normally transitions to wires with MC4 connectors has been removed. Dual challenge... 1. Figure out how to series /parallel those. 2. Make it water proof so a driving rain doesn't push water where it should not be.

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 11:09

MtnDon is right, sorry wasn't trying to be confusing. Just rushing and not explaining fully what I'm talking about. The factory wires have been removed, I'm looking in the box on the back of the solar panel. Well, I'm not looking, I'm going by memory.

Sorry to waste everyones time. Again I'm sure I can figure it out when I'm at the cottage looking at them. They do have a decent rubber gasket, so other than sealing where my wires enter, I don't think waterproofing will be to difficult.

thanks,
FishHog

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.