Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Station
Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 06:59

Just briefly looked at this website for Solar Station. (intentionally left out the link in case it's against our posting rules)

The concept is a prefab kit that incorporates solar collector and storage shed.

A quick glance has me going $6800 American!

I have yet to look into creating my own setup and price it out but I would imagine a duet yer selfer could undercut that!

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 09:45 - Edited by: creeky

I Googgled solar station didn't see it. Might need some more hints here.

Ps- I built my first 1k system including shed for less than that.

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 11:11 - Edited by: Wilbour

Hmm. sorry Solarstation.com

When you read the site it talks about "Internet" but does not say how it can provide internet service

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 11:54

Yup. you can build that for under 4k. canadian. roughly speaking:

600w solar = 4-600? (less if you find a deal)
1 kw inverter = 250 (I would up quality this and spend more like 750, quality charger/inverter)
batteries = 1200? (again, I would up quality/size/lifespan and go lithium at 3k, but for comparison purposes)
extra stuff = 1000 (wire, fuses, combiner box, charger if needed, ats etc, you can easily do this cheaper)
shed = 250? in materials for a plywood box with some hinges.

So, 3k done on the cheap. His quality 3.5 to 4. My quality 5.5k? (Mine has a 20 year lifespan all parts etc. And far superior performance on batteries. I'd also up things to .8-1kw solar.)

He gets some stuff, um. a 2kw inverter is big for that system. and why 6 100w panels? why not 3 200s. Or 2 300s. etc.

I think by internet they're saying the system can power an internet/wifi hot spot device. It could be your phone.

My 1kw system, uh, with 8x8 shed and 4x8 deck was 5k for the system (I paid 2k for 1kw panels);
and 5-600 for racking and materials on the shed. I did recycle quite a bit of stuff here tho (Door was free. Frame lumber free).

this was in 2010/11.

Neat site tho. Good "value added" concept. I wish the guy all the best.

NorthRick
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 16:03

I just installed a small system on my shed to power fans in an adjacent greenhouse. 400W of panels, SunSaver PWM charge controller, four 6V golf cart batteries, and a 300W sine wave inverter. Even at Alaska prices, it was $1,200 all connected up (my labor).

If you bought another 200W panel, an MPPT charge controller instead of PWM, and a bigger inverter, you'd still be under $2K.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.