Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / solar supply for flowjet pump
bronco_ed
# Posted: 29 Sep 2015 09:13

Hello all, recently picked up a eccotemp that will be used along with flowjet 12 volt pump. Can anyone recommend a small solar set up that would be appropriate to power the flowjet for a couple showers each day?

Thanks,

-Ed

creeky
# Posted: 29 Sep 2015 15:48

typically a shower pump doesn't use a lot of power (7 amps x 15 minute shower = 25 watts). i don't know your solar situation. but my shower uses a small rv deep cycle (and I mean small) along with a charger I have left over from my fishing boat after I upgraded the charger.

can you take your battery home to charge? are you up there for any real period of time?

cheap 12v deep cycle battery. a basic 30 watt panel and a cheap as you can find charge controller should suit.

search the site here. lots of good systems more than able. good luck.

bronco_ed
# Posted: 30 Sep 2015 23:21

Thanks Creeky, yes I can take a battery home to charge. It can also be charged when running a generator that is available. I have seen your posts on solar setups and would like to tinker and thought this would be something to experiment with to get feet wet.

Thanks

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 30 Sep 2015 23:47

Hey Bronco_ed
I have that very set up. We use a single 100 watt panel and a 10 amp charge controller connected to two small batteries salvaged from a electric lawn mower. total investment under $200 The solar setup is enough to power the pump for dishes and showers for four people and LED lighting. These pump are very efficient.

You can see the water setup in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funUNu9zVLQ

aktundra
# Posted: 1 Oct 2015 00:12

The flow jet doesn't use much power. It last all summer at my cabin with between 2-8 people using it throughout (usually 3 people but more on the holidays). We stayed out there over 6 weeks this summer. I just take my battery home at the end of summer. Next year I plan on adding solar panel but this is easy so far.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Oct 2015 09:39

a tinkerin' system is a good way to get started. my problem is I can't seem to stop tinkerin'.

bronco_ed
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 15:47

Thanks!7

bronco_ed
# Posted: 31 Mar 2016 16:08 - Edited by: bronco_ed

ha... I was doing a search and found my old thread... I have not done anything solar yet since the taking up a battery seems to have worked out.

Now I can build on the initial question.

The portable battery easily can run the flow jet...power needs have grown slightly.

There is a dometic rv refrigerator that runs off of 110(Generator) Propane or 12V
The unit needs a consistent source for 12v to run the motherboard.

When running on propane we have found that this 12v requirement will just about drain a deepcycle 12 volt battery overnight.(Been using a car jumper (1150 diehard porta- power)
The generator is then required to run quite a bit to recharge the battery.
The 12v system also has been used for charging phones laptop etc. Seems like those phones can hit the battery pretty hard as well.

So at this point I am again wanting to tinker with Solar...

In total I don't think the place would need anything more than:

12 volt supply to
Dometic RV refrigerator
Small TV
Flowjet pump
Device charging.
half dozen LED lights.

Would this be beyond tinkering?

Don't want to get into anything really expensive at this point. But need to resolve the 12v supply for the dometic unit.
I see that the need would need two batteries to keep the dometic running overnight allowing for charging throughout the day.
So I figure I would throw in the TV and led lights.

Heck the generator would rarely have to come on if this can be set up? except for running well pump when water needs to be replenished for toilet flushing.
(point well- Maybe look into rainwater and using the flowjet for a next step? ;)

Thanks for any input... ;)

bronco_ed
# Posted: 31 Mar 2016 16:22

I am really surprised on how little electricity one REALLY needs.

In my opinion it is unfortunate that the cell phone coverage is good. I really miss the good old days when folks use to have a conversation around a campfire.

May have to post a sign "cell phone use is for emergency only" or "cell phone use must be at least 30 foot from any building"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.