Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Well, it's now cold
<< . 1 . 2 .
Gary O
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 19:16

Quoting: silverwaterlady
How are you going to buy water if your snowed in?

we'll melt the snow.....

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 19:20

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Mount Mazama company delivers bulk water, not just bottled, via truck. I haven't been able to verify that online and don't wish to call them at this point. Would you happen to know if they do?

might be tough for them this time of year, but, we could have it dropped at the little store down the road (it's how we're getting things from Amazon and such)

thanks, J2O, will check into it

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 19:50

Yes! Snow catchment! I plan to do that! And rain/sleet catchment, of course, lol.

For bulk delivery, Mount Mazama would bring a water tanker-truck. Would you leave a large container at the little store for them to fill and pick it up? Otherwise, they deliver 3- and 5-gallon bottles. I was told they do bulk delivery but I haven't found mention of that on their website.

They have regular delivery contracts all over the county but are based right near you. They even deliver on every-two-week schedules where I'll be. So they must be used to "weather" and plan/prepare accordingly.

J2O (LOL, 2 parts Joy, 1 part Oxygen, meaning airhead )

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 23:05

Quoting: Gary O
just to a hose from the pump
quite primitive

That is what my solar well system is. Not even a hose, just a spout at the well head. I have a small 1/16th inch hole in the pipe below the frost line, so when the well isnt running, it bleeds down the water.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 00:25

When we go to our place in the winter we keep a big pot on the wood stove and I keep it full of snow to melt. We use that water for dishes, washing up and use it in the toilet. We just bring drinking water with us. I do have 120 gallons of water in a tank in the crawl space that's available as well but melting snow is sometimes easier for a short stay than breaking a hole in the ice to get water to refill my tank. I just keep adding snow to the pot. Just stay away from yellow snow!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 00:35 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/346/

It takes a lot of snow melt to get water. Hope your snow is not dry.

When DH was a little boy his job was to go down to the lake with his sled,chop a hole in the ice and fill buckets with lake water.

Topper
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 03:54

Quoting: silverwaterlady
It takes a lot of snow melt to get water. Hope your snow is not dry.

The info you sourced is interesting. Where we are, we generally have dry snow.

Now however, if you dig down below the surface, the "snow" you find there has a much greater moisture content than the (dryer) snow at the surface.

On the trail, I would melt snow with a 12 quart stock pot & an alcohol stove, for 13 dogs & myself at meal time.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 20:35

You do what you need to do. About four years ago, we had a terrible storm and cold snap and my pipes inexplicably froze. I had no water for 3 days and just two gallons on hand for cooking/drinking. I don't know the difference between "wet" and "dry" snow but I was outside with every vessel I could find and scooping up the 3 inches of snow on top of ice on the ground so I could use it to flush the toilet and wash up a bit. It took a LOT of snow and a lot of energy to melt into a decent amount of water but it worked. And that was the important thing.

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 22:04 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
It took a LOT of snow and a lot of energy to melt into a decent amount of water but it worked.

I know a bit about wet and dry snow.
Thing is, the wood stove burns 24/7.
No use in wasting all 'at warmth.....

'nuther thing, bought a little buddy heater today.
Very efficient.
Think things are under control.

Will update as events occur.

Gotta say, I really appreciate all the input and suggestions.
It's what this forum has been about.

Thank you all.

FishHog
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 22:24

Gary, I really enjoy your humour and am truly envious of your lifestyle, and can't wait to get there myself.
That being said, I think you need to re-evaluate your current setup if your going to stay more than one winter. I get that this is your first, and you will probably make it through, but long term your current setup is good for warm months, but really not so good for cold ones.

I get your not confident in your ability to tear out what you have and replace, but you need to. You will be fine, especially with the help you have here. Hold off to next spring if you want, but then tackle it and get yourself setup with a proper cold weather system. what you have and trying to keep it warm really isn't the answer.

you need a pump that will either drain, or that is submersible. The time, effort and fuel your going to put into running your summer setup year round will get old fast as the cold weather come in and stays.

I mean this is the nicest way, just might not type it that way, but what you have now, isn't the right solution. Sooner rather than later you will need to make it right. Just do it sooner and you will sleep better and smell less.

Truly I envy you two. I'm living vircariously (or however you spell that) through you two. But this is one area that I feel you are vulnerable and still have time to make it right. Not that it's life threatening or anything, but doing it right will make these coming long winter months much more enjoyable in my mind.

FishHog

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 23:20

Quoting: FishHog
Hold off to next spring if you want, but then tackle it

This is where my mind is at present.

I really don't wish to put much effort into this well.
It's not in the right place.
The pipe is too narrow.

If reasonable expense does not solve the ills of the present set up, I'll put my efforts toward a better well, in a better place.

Thanks for the compliments, the directness, and for the care.

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 09:37 - Edited by: Gary O

Well, I'm back to 'I got this'
Went to town yesterday and got this;

The heat is not near as intense at 3800 BTUs in relation to what we were using.
And according to the specs, will last 100 hours on a 20 lb tank.
That's four days to me.
That's $5/day to me.
There's just one setting, so no guess work or twiddling.

I know, it's not the ideal set up, but it is my fix for this winter.

Just
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 19:16

Put a pail of water in front of that heater and you will always have hot water .

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 20:03

Just, you never fail to cause me to slap myself in the head.

However, I doubt this little buddy heater would get a glass of water hot.

If I'd bought it with the thought of keeping myself warm, well, I'd be pissed.

But it's the ideal for this situation.
The pump hut temp is, oh what's the word.....balmy.

'Ideal' is the other word.

Heh, had to jack the thing up with some pavers and a cinder block to get it to accept the hose to the tank yet remain seated.

All is well.

My mind can now fixate on the gennys and getting the rest of the wood off the ground.

Temp this morn was -4°F, but the wind died down

Just
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 20:30

I remember when we could heat our home for 5$ a day . That said we had a few days of -40 last winter and I am sure that little heater would have kept your pump safe .

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 21:14

Quoting: Just
and I am sure that little heater would have kept your pump safe .

I'm sure too.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 22:14

Good deal! Glad you found a simple solution to get you through!

Steve_S
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 05:25 - Edited by: Steve_S

Those little Buddy heaters work amazingly well, I have the bigger one and it's amazing the heat that catalytic / ceramic honeycomb makes. Do you know if that model has a tip over safety ? If not I'd find a way to make sure it's secure on that block... You know that old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and well.... I have in depth experience with Murphy's Laws and take such things into account... just in case.

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 05:52 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Steve_S
Do you if that model has a tip over safety ?

Yes, it does.

It's quite secure, barring a major earthquake.

Yeah, we now have three sizes of the buddy heaters.

This one seems designed for arm pits...or pump huts, as it wouldn't heat much more.

Steve_S
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 08:05

Hmmm a "Pit Heater" now that could be a side track of giggles & chuckles...

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 08:48 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: Gary O
Temp this morn was -4°F, but the wind died down

53 deg here this morning ---and 75 by 2 pm

I have to find my flannel shirt for these early morning low temps

when the temps get in the teens or single digits which is RARE here.....I have a 100 watt light bulb in my pump house. I turn it on.... and everything is toasty in my pump house.

Just
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 09:31

Quoting: turkeyhunter
100 watt light bulb

In the north we use 2 rough service bulbs in case one burns out because they are on all winter . When that happens the water may freeze but not likely break the pump .

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.