Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Black Friday Solar Panels at solarblvd.com
MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 16:38

Solar Blvd is having a Black Friday sale. Not a super cheap blaster, but decent $$. I mention this mostly for those who want or need a "12 volt" panel. There are many places to get the higher voltage panels, 24 VDC and up. Those are aimed at the grid tied folks and can be obtained in most urban areas without too much trouble, and at under a dollar a watt usually. . The 12 VDC panels are hard to impossible to find locally and most of the online prices seem to be around $1.50 a watt with shipping sometimes extra.

Solar Blvd has always had 12 VDC panels at reasonable cost, IMO. Have at look here at their link on Friday to see the deals.

Here are the $$ on the 12 VDC offerings.....
(shipping is extra. they have a calculator on the cart page. For me it works out cheaper than any other place I have seen.)

***All DISCOUNTED Prices Will Take Effect On
BLACK FRIDAY!! ***

Solar Cynergy 80 Watt
12 Volt Solar Panel

ONLY $75
(Regular Price: $104)

Manufacturer: Solar Cynergy
Cells: Q-Cells
Model Name: SLP80-12
Max Power: 80 W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.0V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 5.36A
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 4.65A
Optimum Operating Volatage (Vmp): 17.0V
Dimensions (inches): 33.35 x 25.97 x 1.33
Weight: 15lbs

Solar Cynergy 100 Watt
12 Volt Solar Panel

ONLY $100
(Regular Price: $125)

Model Name: PV-SC100J12
Number of Cells: 36 cells in a series (4 x 9)
Max Power: 100W
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 6.30A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.0V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 5.80A
Weight: 17.6 pounds
Dimensions (inches): 44.93 x 25.97 x 1.33
Includes Junction Box And MC4 Connector

Solar Cynergy 120 Watt
12 Volt Solar Panel

ONLY $120
(Regular Price: $136)

Model Name: PV-SC120J12
Number of Cells: 36 cells in series (4 x 9)
Max Power: 120Wp
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 7.50
aximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.0
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 7.00
Dimensions (inches): 51.44 x 25.97 x 1.33
Weight: 22 pounds

Solar Cynergy 140 Watt
12 Volt Solar Panel

ONLY $135
(Regular Price: $159)

Model Name: PV-SC140J12
Number of Cells: 36 cells in series (4x9)
Max Power: 140Wp
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.40A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.0V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 8.00A
Dimensions (inches): 39.47 x 38.30 x 1.40 Weight: 23.4 lbs

Solar Cynergy 150 Watt
12 Volt Solar Panel

ONLY $145
(Regular Price: $165)

Model Name: PV-SC150J12
Electrical Data
Maximum Power Output: 150 Watts
Max Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.0 Volts
Max Operating Current (Imp): 8.33 Amps
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.4 Volts
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.75 Amps
Module Efficiency: 14.70%

Don_P
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 18:57 - Edited by: Don_P

MtnDon,
I have a 110v air conditioner that draws 480 watts that I'm mounting in an insulated box on the back of the old ranger. There is a digital black box that lets the ac cool down into the 30's, a couple of amps draw. Through an inverter... a few more amps, off the battery/alternator I can run the ac when underway. I'm guessing I'll be pulling about 50 amps with intermittent startup and hopefully long idle times between running. I have been thinking though, I have room on the roof for 400 watts.

In my faulty mind I'm wondering if a spare battery and panels on the roof would allow me to run the ac for hours with the engine off, run to a farmers market and cool all day off of stored and generated power? Or would something like this wind down very fast.

Further out there, it would be very cool if we could put solar powered walk in coolers on small farms. The more you need it the brighter the sun is.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Hmmm. A/C tends to wind down the batteries quicker than we think. Let's see though. 480 watts when running. Much less when the system idles. If it ran continuously for an hour that is 480 watt hours.

So, hypothetically, if the A/C ran 25% of the time we would have used 120 watt hours per hour.

A typical group 27, 12 volt battery has about 100 amp-hours. 100 AH x 12 volts = 1200 watt-hours total. Divide that in half, 600 watt hours of useful capacity. (Restrict depth of discharge to 50% in interest of battery life.)

So, again hypothetically, 600 WH of battery capacity / 120 WH use = 5 hours of run time before a recharge is needed. Conservative me would have the engine start battery divorced (constant duty relay) from the other battery unless the engine was running.

Estimate, or measure the hours the A/C would be operating out there in the real world. Use of a Kill-A-Watt meter can be useful as it can total up the actual WH used over a particular time period.

Add in the fact that the PV panels seldom actually put out their rated power. Rated power occurs with the panels at 75 F and direct, 90 degree to the PV surface sun with high noon intensity. Panel voltage drops when the temperature of the panel goes up. A little bit shade on a panel can cut that panels output precipitously.

Solar powered A/C is done most efficiently using split mini type A/C. I wonder if that "black box" could be used with one? Lots more $$ for the split mini equipment though. Lots.

Do you have one of those big honking alternators on that Ranger?

Don_P
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 22:17

I'm going to test it with the stock 95 amp alternator but they do run all the way up to 200 amps. Again to my lack of electrical knowledge, that 95 amps seems like a lot of alternator for that little truck.

I do have access to a kill a watt. I have the ac and the black box, a cool-bot, I still need to decide on an inverter. Then I can jury rig it and see how it actually performs.

The cool bot will work with any digital setup. It has more going on but what it is doing is overriding the temp sensor on the ac by simply warming it until the setpoint on the coolbot is reached. It is also sensing for ice and running a defrost cycle and running delays, etc.

They have some small truck setups like mine in India that are cooling the truck on grid power then running to a delivery spot several hours away without cooling, but they keep the door closed. We stop and make multiple pickups at farms on the way to the final dropoff so that is the main reason for cooling while running.

As I've been building the box, it would be pretty easy to put horizontal sliding windows in the sides with shelves for produce behind them, then it could double as a sort of reach in point of sale cooler at a farmers market as well. That was where my mind started wandering to having a solar backup on the roof.

I've come to the conclusion I weld about like I plaster. Apply 5 pounds and grind off 4 the next day

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 22:53

95 amps is a good size alternator! I can remember when 70 amps was the HD option. But I think my Tacoma has a 130.

Inverter... for driving a motor a pure sine wave is best. Motor runs cooler and lasts longer. Also quieter when running. But compressors will run on a modified sine wave. Costs a bundle more though, especially when you need to be oversized in order to get the compressor started.

NorthRick
# Posted: 24 Nov 2015 10:28

Quoting: MtnDon
Solar Cynergy 80 Watt12 Volt Solar PanelONLY $75(Regular Price: $104)

Wow, six years ago I paid $420 for the 85 watt panel I have at our cabin.

Dillio187
# Posted: 26 Nov 2015 20:32

I have had 4 of the 80 watt Solar Cynergy panels on my cabin for the last 3+ years. They've been good panels and are still working great. I wish I could have paid $75 each for them, good deal!

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 19:58

Wow! I already have a tracking number for my order!!

sparky1
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 08:26

I bought a lot of panels from Solarblvd. & they have always treated me great. Just put a 40 Watt on my Motorhome (from them) $58 $20 shipping .other places can't touch their prices.
I'm very happy dealing with them.
sparky1

OssieListon
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 10:51

Hi, i am new to the Solar field and want to install it as soon as possible.
I want to know how many PV cell chassis i need for my load i.e 5KW?
Also what type of batteries i should use and what about the direction of the panel?

Anna
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 15:24 - Edited by: Anna

OssieListon

Try using the "Search" option at the top to find helpful tips and advice on solar panels.

there are MANY threads about Solar panels

It's a word that pops up 1333 times on this site so I'm sure you'll find your answers and learn a few things too!

URL

good luck!

sparky1
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 17:21

OssieListon
5,000 watts (AC) is a huge load for wanting to go solar. please re evaluate what you actually (NEED) to be operated on either 12.6 volts or 24 Volts (DC) Large Amperage battery's are very expensive as so will the the wiring and controls.
sparky1.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 07:08

https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=2869

Any thoughts on this system??

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Mar 2016 16:09

Quoting: rachelsdad
Any thoughts on this system??

As in... is it a good deal?

That depends on whether or not the included charge controller is going to make you happy by doing what you need/want it to do.

IMO, forget about what's a good deal or not until you know how much storage capacity is needed. Storage capacity (battery) will then determine what PV panels and how many are needed along with charge controller, etc.

Short answer to the OP = yes it is a reasonable deal with the free shipping, IF a 20 amp PWM controller will do the job. It may be fine.... I have a similar setup on our trailer, but using a different brand PWM controller.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 14 Mar 2016 19:48

not worried as much about cost as to quality of components.

Thinking an mppt would be a better choice as far as a controller.

I, like most here, value your opinion and being very new at solar would rather heed unbiased advice.

I;ve refined and defined my draw and storage capacity, for today at least...now I'm looking for some "safe choice" manufacturers/vendors as most of my purchases will be online,

Thank you!

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Mar 2016 20:57 - Edited by: MtnDon

I have been happy with the few purchases I've made through solarblvd. I have bought many items, from small through thousand dollar items from thesolarbiz.com and www.solar-electric.com . All three have been in the business for a minimum of 25 years with thesolarbiz the grand-daddy at 46 years.

Except for one very cheap small 30 watt panel and a cheapy PWM charge controller everything has been name brand; Midnight, Outback, Xantrex in particular. My personal preference is to shy away from no-name hardware if it costs more than a single twenty. Not saying that's the only way to go; it's my choice.

On second thought I guess you could say I strayed from that philosophy when I purchased golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. However, at half the price of a Trojan or Crown they have given exemplary service.

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Mar 2016 21:38

I am certain there are other quality vendors, people who do care about what they sell and care about the folks who buy what they sell. The above is simply my experience.

In general I don't like pre-packaged kits as most often they contain no-name components such as charge controllers or inverters I would probably never purchase on their own.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.