Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery temps and cold weather performance
groingo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:07

My batteries are running between 50 to 59 degrees and I have noticed that they charge a few points lower when cooler than when warmer, anyone keep tabs on battery cold weather performance?

Am going to put blue ice bags with warm water to try to keep batteries a bit warmer and see how it goes.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:23 - Edited by: MtnDon

A few points of what? Volts or specific gravity?

Lower battery temperatures require a higher voltage to reach the same state of full charge at STC of 75 F. That's one reason to have a remote temperature sensor on one of the batteries. (The other reason of course is to lower the charge voltage when the battery is hot).

So, if there is no remote battery temperature sensor lower voltage or lower sp gr could simply be a function of the battery charge voltage not being high enough for the lower temperature. The battery is not reaching an actual full charge. Maybe?

I see the same volts and the same sp gr (temperature corrected by the built in correction of the Hydrovolt) readings after the system goes into float. However, the internal magic of the state of charge WhizBang Jr that is connected to The Kid CC tells me there is less total available AH capacity due to the lower battery temperature.

groingo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 13:36

Have the remote sensor but the external temp of the battery itself is still about 15 degrees below where it was in spring and summer.

When I say a couple of points I mean they should be at 12.70 and now with cooler weather and I suspect less sun they hover at 12.60.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.