Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How warm are your cabin nights?
paulz
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 20:06

The best I've been able to muster with my wood stove going full tilt is 55F. High 20s outside. Since I just built my cabin this summer I haven't gotten around to insulating, just studs, sheathing, paper and ship lap siding/comp shingle roof. Anyone care to guess how many degrees improvement I might expect with insulation and sheet rock? Considering a propane heater but we don't have that long a winter (northern Calif.) plus I have enough firewood on my property to supply the county.
12291518261.jpg
12291518261.jpg

AK Seabee
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 20:15

What size woodstove do you have and what are you burning?

I have a 18x24 in Alaska and my cabin will sweat you out with a Napoleon woodstove burning birch and spruce at -40F

You will be pleasantly surprised once you insulate.

neb
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 20:49

Yes once you insulate it will be a different story. I just have a small 10x12 which is not insulated and can keep mine about 70 in minus temps. I have to keep feeding the stove because the stove is small. I don't live there so it isn't a big deal.

FishHog
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 08:11

on boxing day I had mine up to 90deg before I opened the window to cool it down. Stopped stoking up the woodstove after about 6pm so I can actually sleep. Think I need a smaller woodstove as it overheats the cottage quickly. The propane furnace keeps it at a good temp for sleeping. 60deg or so. By the time the coffee is ready in the morning the wood stove is roaring again and it warms up fast.

paulz
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 10:08

Thanks for the replies. I am burning bay wood in an Arrow airtight with double box and a fan that blows the air out in between. The bay has a decent reputation for burning (and I have a boatload of it) but I am going to try some of my neighbor's oak. Insulation will have to wait until spring I am afraid.

Don_P
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 11:59

Infiltration is the most important thing, no amount of insulation can overcome a drafty house.
Infiltration, insulation, insolation.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 12:35

Cold,cold,cold. No insulation means the heat goes up and out the roof. Even sitting in front of the stove does not help much.

groingo
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 13:30

As an inexpensive work around I used is simple plastic 4 mil sheeting on the walls and the ceiling, really helped a lot keeping the heat in the room and reducing the amount of heat loss through the ceiling, since plastic does not conduct cold just lightly staple in place and you will be much warmer for peanuts and when it warms up and you are ready to insulate just peel it off.

When it comes insulation time of course closed cell foam insulation is best but in your climate you have many options.

Regardless, there is nothing beats a good comforter!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 21:22

My wife would not be that happy looking at 55 degrees. After you insulate, that cabin could double as a sauna. You won't believe the difference.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 21:24

Is that a stop sign?

toofewweekends
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 23:10

AK Seabee, your post reminds me that one winter it was well south of zero and I must have pushed the control on the stove the wrong way before going to bed because we got the place overcooked. Came down from the loft an hour or so later and the butter had melted!

AK Seabee
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 00:18

Toofewweekends,
Wow, that is warm........ I made a few mistakes myself when our stove was new. Our stove will run us out for sure if we are not careful.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 3 Jan 2016 22:27

paulz,
Bay wood burns hotter and lasts longer than what I burn. Your cabin will be toasty once you insulate.

Malamute
# Posted: 7 Jan 2016 22:38

Yes, insulation will help tremendously. Before I had my under floor insulated and skirted, my dog water froze on the floor. It was tolerable feeling, probably above 55 at person level. Floor was really cold though at zero-ish outside.

Once the floor was done, it was fine. Log walls, about r 30-ish ceiling insulation, blaze king stove. I put in about 5-6 pieces of slab pine wood, tightly packed in the bottom, build a starter fire on top, and damp it down all the way once its going. It makes more heat than I really want most of the time. At zero temps and below, I do two fires/day, warmer than that usually don't need it. I've opened the door wide open for a while many many times because it was way too hot. Forgot to damp it down soon enough, or just more fire than I needed.

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 18:16

I am heading out to the cabin this evening...-20°C now with a low of -27. I won't get the fire going until about 8pm so it might be a chilly night as it takes a couple of hours to warm up good. Tomorrow night will be fine though.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jan 2016 23:46

Mine gets so warm, its uncomfortable. My woodstove would burn too fast.

I did built a new woodstove, able to pile more wood on for all night and also to shut it down so tight, I coudl snuff out a fire totally if I have too.

Once my place it warm, it holds heat for so long. The interior compnents and walls absorb the heat and it remains warm long after the fire it out.

I have mine so well insulate, so well sealed, I dont even have bugs getting inside.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Jan 2016 10:39

Quoting: Salty Craig
My wife would not be that happy looking at 55 degrees. After you insulate, that cabin could double as a sauna. You won't believe the difference.

She has menopause going so she says. Sleeps uncovered while I have blankets, sleeping bags, coats and the dog piled on top of me.

Quoting: Salty Craig
Is that a stop sign?

Yes, from the metal scrap yard, they have a bunch of them. I think it's misspelled.

For rolled insulation would I want foil backed, paper backed or unbacked and which way does it go?

Cowracer
# Posted: 14 Jan 2016 16:27 - Edited by: Cowracer

Mine is 2x6 gambrel roof, fully insulated with craft faced fiberglass batts. With 2x4 walls, also fully insulated. I put the facing paper to the inside. I have no other materials on the walls or roof other than the t1-11 siding, plastic wrap and a metal roof

It takes a bit to get it warm when its cold inside, but once up to temp, I can maintain 75 upstairs with no problem with just a 1500watt quartz heater on a 19 degree night. Downstairs had no heat at that time and it was in the low 40's. Now with an additional quartz heater downstairs, I can maintain any temp that you would feel comfortable at.

All the itching and crap involved in putting up the insulation was WELL worth it.

Tim

paulz
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 09:24

I have scored some free fiberglass batts from a friend doing a demo. Is it true mice love the stuff? That has me a little worried. Any precautions?

Nate R
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 10:41

I can assure you that mice love the stuff. I've got a situation in a house I own where I've seen the mice rib accessible fiberglass into little shreds and carry it off. Not sure what to do about precautions in a cabin though.

Haltzy
# Posted: 3 Feb 2016 17:44 - Edited by: Haltzy

toyota_mdt_tech

Do you have a breakdown of your wall insulation and sealing layers.

My thoughts are, staring on the outside:

Finish, 1" Styrofoam (taped), Housewarp (taped) 3/8osb (Acoustic sealed bottom plates steal flashing) 2X6 wall, Fiberglass insulation, HV Poly, finish.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/sites/default/files/Furring%20over%20Roxul%20-%20 BSC%20illo.jpg

Thoughts?

rayyy
# Posted: 6 Feb 2016 16:45

I know that when the phone rings at 2:00AM and a voice say's raaaay it's time to plow the snoooooow,it's warm and cozy in my cabin and climbing out of this nice warm bed is the last thing I want to do
,,,thank God I only have to do this for one more year!

FishSeeker
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 17:23 - Edited by: FishSeeker

I agree the insulation will make all the difference. I'm in Washington State so it's warming up a bit now but I got up to my cabin last Friday and it was 40 degrees and we got the stove going and within an hour we were up to 65 and it settled at about 75 and never was below 72 until we left on Sunday. My cabin's 1000 sf including loft and I've got a Lopi stove and I normally burn fir.

We left for a drive up to Diablo Dam and then into town for a bit and after 4 hours of not stoking the fire it was still 72 when we got back. And I have no sheetrock in my place. It's a cedar cabin with insulation and wood paneling. So once you insulate you'll notice a big difference and momma will be much happier. And keeping momma happy is a good thing.

RckyMtnHi
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 14:38

I took this pic in late Dec. 2015. This was in a 28x12 shed cabin(gable roof) with batt insulation (R13 walls R21 ceiling) with a lopi 440T woodstove burning pine. This is after about 5 hours of the fire being started.
-8 out 75 in
-8 out 75 in

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.