Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Julie2: I found your new battery
creeky
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 16:58

This is pretty cool.

http://orison.energy/

This looks to be particularly useful for those of you'ze as what are seasonal. you could take it home with you.

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 17:37

Very interesting technology. I see this being very useful for all those that have in home medical needs that require a standby power source in the event of a power outage, especially people who live in apartments that don't have a back up power source available to them.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 22:32

That IS cool! I see it's 15 amp. Would that be a problem with my appliances?

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 23:37

1. Nobody, other than Orison, has been able to test run one of these. So far everything Google comes up with in search results is the same regurgitation of all the material on Orisons website and their Kickstarter site.

2. The cell chemistry is lithium manganese cobalt; not as stable as LFP, more prone to thermal runaway issues....

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 02:09

^^^^^
Oh, dear. Never mind!

Well, doesn't Kickstarter mean that something is in product development and isn't actually being produced, anyway? They're basically looking for funding?

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 10:16

Very true, but they must have a working prototype. But maybe not, maybe it's all theory, so called vaporware.

3. There are valid questions being asked in the comments section on kickstarter regarding NEC compliance. Because it is aimed at folks with grid tie that is a very important consideration.

4. No real mention as to what extras are needed to use this off grid. In that case how is the power from the PV used to recharge the built in battery? A separate charge controller? What voltage battery?

Many questions and what appears to be lots of hype.

5. You can find many crowdfunded projects that have had big failures after folks have paid their money. Some spectacular failures.

Buyer beware is even more important with crowdfunding than it is with merchandise you can already touch and feel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.