Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Mystery of the pitcher pump
SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 13:13 - Edited by: SE Ohio

2 days into a recent cabin visit, the pitcher pump on my rain barrel stopped sucking, which really sucked. One can get spoiled pretty easily, and I was used to having ample water. It was a Saturday, and in my neck of the woods not much is open on Sundays, so I had to act quick.

Added water, primed and primed, but the only water that would come out of the pump was what we had just added for the prime. Unbolted pump top, and looked down. The pump seal or upper leather looked fine. The flapper leather (check valve to prevent water from returning to barrel) had broken off. We are pretty much weekenders, so I guess there is lots of opportunity for the leather to dry and crack, and finally break.

Local hardware store is still closed from a recent fire. Off to the next county! Down the aisle. Pitcher pump leather cup hanging up, but no flapper leather. Sigh. They did direct me to Tractor Supply, which I knew sold pitcher pumps! Drive a little further.

Tractor supply had whole pitcher pumps, but no "innards". Sigh. They direct me to another hardware store, even further away. Lots of lefts and rights in these directions, but we found it. And they had one left on the rack! Got it and ran (but paid first).

After dinner, we installed the new leather. Was amazed that flapper weight bolt came off easily despite rust. Dipped screw in veggie oil before reassembling. All assembled. Ta da! Primed pump and... nothing. Bolts tight, maybe it needs to soak first? Soak. Still nothing. Kids not impressed.

Took pump apart again. Finally notice something odd. No dip tube! The PVC dip tube had fallen off PVC connector into rain barrel. This had been caulked in place. I vaguely remember not having solvent handy and an internet suggestion that caulk worked just fine in this application. Well, it didn't for me! Found solvent, reconnected tube, and ta da! Sometimes more than one thing fails at a time. At least we had washwater before Monday.
Old flapper and new
Old flapper and new
Pitcher pump
Pitcher pump
Happy camper
Happy camper
Dip tube before clean and attach
Dip tube before clean and attach

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 13:18

And you had the adventure of visiting every hardware store within a day's drive radius.

I don't know about you, but I like hardware stores.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 13:21

True, I now know of 2 more hardware stores!

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 13:32 - Edited by: bldginsp

But I always try to plan ahead for all the parts and materials I will need so I don't have to use a lot of time driving around. Spare pump flapper valves is not necessarily something I'd think of, I guess. Years ago I bought way too many extra mantles for the Coleman lanterns, and only now am I using them up. And every time I go to the hardware store I pick up another roll of Teflon tape, the consequence of that is that now I have a dozen. That's good though, cause I always forget where I put them, but there are so many that one usually turns up. I think this is called the shotgun theory.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.