Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wireless life update...haven't gone bonkers...yet!
groingo
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 11:21

Several months ago I ditched my old cable internet and am now using Total Wireless phone/data to fill the void.

First thing was to re evaluate what I really needed from the internet and when I looked closely I found it to be a big time waster so I had to determine its real usefulness which was news, general information and online shopping....movies is where I wasted the most time.

With that known and understood the wireless internet has become practical and useful once again and my movies now come on DVD for which I found a really great portable DVD player that allows me to watch movies anywhere at any time and make use of 20 years of collecting DVD's....last night I watched "Billy Jack" and the "Dirty Dozen"....yikes!

But it gets much better...power requirements have dropped significantly from a winter time worst of 195 watts a day now to 45 watts a day in winter time mode (removing 6 hours of daylight from the panels) which should make the batteries happy.

Cost savings also are significant  cutting $20.00 a month from the old way while gaining big in capability, portability and especially flexibility.

Just another lesson that shows living lean off grid doesn't have to mean you give up everything, you just need to get creative and find different ways of doing things....that has always been the attraction.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 12:20

Good stuff groingo! And both those movies are classics

creeky
# Posted: 12 Jul 2016 09:53

rugercpl
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 18:38

If DVD's are your thing, search on Amazon "50 classic DVD collection" and prepare to be amazed. You can literally own 50 classic movies of any genre for about $15, sometimes less. I love the sci-fi, thrillers, and cheesy horror. I think I have well over 500 movies that I paid less than $150 for from a time long gone. It almost feels wrong to own a 90 minute film that someone devoted their life to making, for the same cost as an ear of corn.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.