Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Panel Question for Pond Aeration
rmak
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 10:10

I recently asked some questions here about solar powered aerators for ponds. The thread did not get legs, so I started to research on my own.

I believe I have found a system that I can afford. However, to keep it in my budget the company suggests that I use the solar panel on my cabin roof to drive the aerator pump.

Some of you may remember that I have a small solar set up for lights and a few other appliances on AC current. The panel is approximately 3 feet by 5 feet and is located on my roof.

The pump is DC and the supplier suggests that I tap right off of the panel wires and run a wire underground the 50 feet to the pump and pond. The pump will work only when it's sunny, which is the best alternative I can come up with. Some aeration is better than nothing.

My questions to the experts are: What is the best way to splice a wire to the solar panel and will there be any negative effects on the power going into the charge controller, inverter, etc that powers my cabin? The cabin is strictly recreational so the power for lights is used intermittently, not constantly.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 10:40 - Edited by: Steve_S

There are several video's on YT on how to make your own. I saw one a few months ago that would be perfect but I'll be darned if I can find it again.... The fellow built it with 1-12V panel & Controller and 12V AGM battery. The Charger, Battery & air pump were stored in a lockable Tote with the panel mounted to the gazebo roof beside his pond.

The other possibility to aerate a pond is a fountain, which may add some enhancement to your water feature...

I just did a google search and gee wiz there is a plethora of commercial solar aerators & fountains, some cheap and others... well intended for fools with too much cash I guess...

EDIT: FOUND THAT VIDEO ! Missouri Wind & Solar saves the day again ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xtxo7aJmnA He's got some great vid's and all straight forward & simple ! This is one of many video's he's made on this topic.

Just
# Posted: 22 Jul 2016 12:23 - Edited by: Just

my solar pump works directly off the solar panel but has a control box between the panel and the pump ."no battery" perhaps your pump doesn't need one . you can buy solar splitters and connectors fore most panels check your type before you shop .. pumping water is hard work it" will " affect the amount of power you have in your cabin , all you can do is try it and see , you may need another panel in the future ,Put a on - off switch in the line so you can turn the pump off if need be .

rmak
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 12:10

Any electrical experts want to weigh in on the best switch set up for this application?

Thanks for the input folks, by the way.

Nate R
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 18:26

I purchased marine DC Breakers to use as a switch and/or breaker in my solar runs.

~$10 on Ebay.

rmak
# Posted: 23 Jul 2016 18:40 - Edited by: rmak

Thanks, Nate. Is that an in line switch or do you put it in a breaker box. Also, if I ask Ebay, would I use marine dc breaker?

Edit: Disregard the questions. I see what the switch looks like. I'd like to replace these with an even dumber question. Would I add the switch in line on one wire like house wiring or do I put the switch between what wires? I have two coming from the collector. If I splice the wires I intend to use for the aerator into those two wires, exactly where would I put the switch so when it's off all the power will go to my charge controller.

Sorry, I'm electrically challenged...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.