Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Looking for rear stove pipe guard ideas - behind a wood heater
KinAlberta
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 23:01 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I have an old coal and wood heater that I've moved from in front of a wall to an open space with a 3' wide walkway to a washroom and a bedroom behind it. So it will be a major safety hazard unless I put some sort of heat shield up behind it. I have about an extra foot to work with beyond the space needed for the walkway. However I'm not keen to put up anything big and solid behind it or it will cut off all the light to the two rooms behind it.

So I was thinking of some ornamental tempered glass panels and / or some sort of ornamental metal screen but with some decent heat shield close behind the stove. Otherwise the glass and/or metal would just heat up and burn little fingers, torch things left leaning against it, etc.

This isn't mine but here's a picture off the internet of a stove out in a the middle of a room. It's in a much bigger space with a solid wall behind it, but it gives one some idea of what I'm talking about. Ie people have to walk in front and behind the stove.

http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/6151fa4f012fc74e_4-4356/eclectic-living-room.jpg

So has anyone seen products designed for this situation.

I'm thinking of a 3'x3' metal shield right behind the stove them a 5'high by 1' wide strip up to the ceiling immediately behind the stove pipe that comes out the back side of the heater. Then a few inches back the more ornamental shield to prevent hands from touching the back of the stove or real heat shield.

The stove looks just a bit like this with rear piping but is a fair bit bigger and definitely not as nice as this one.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3e/d2/74/3ed2746f616c577286c71eaea48ef146.j pg

creeky
# Posted: 22 Aug 2016 10:56

Lots of folks put wood stoves in the middle of rooms. I've not seen a heat shield at the back of any of them.

A simple shield to give a visual warning could be enough, no?

The idea of a glass shower panel might be neat. The mounting hardware should be adaptable.

I saw a neat installation just this weekend. The guy used metal soffit along his ceiling to provide heat protection from a pipe that ran from a moved wood stove (had been in the middle of the room) to closer to kitchen.

He could have used some heat shield behind the stove. The heat of the back of the stove had bubbled the lower kitchen cabinet veneer.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 13:32 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I want a guard. Don't even want to think about a visiting toddler falling against it at some future date.

We even put a short (small-dog) wire fence around our campfires when our child was learning to walk and run.

There's enough risk in the world. People aren't experienced with old-time hazards. Eg. Twenty years ago a friend of ours had people staying at his house at Christmas (family I recall - grandkids, etc.) and he walked past his fireplace spotting a bag of something (trash) someone had thrown in the fireplace. He saw a can of hair spray so went to knock it out when it exploded and burned his face, the ceiling etc. He got lucky. We were taught that only coal and wood ever go in the stoves. That's not "common" sense anymore or to anyone young who's never seen a real fireplace or wood stove before.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 16:59 - Edited by: KinAlberta

I may have found a solution.

I was going to do something with tile and a layer or two of cement board immediately behind the stove and rising up behind the pipe to the ceiling (basically 3- 4' wide and tall stove backer then a 1'-2' wide column to the ceiling behind the pipe) and then a couple side by side salvaged tempered glass panels (maybe from door inserts)

However I saw a picture of a computer server rack / cabinet and I may be able to find a used busted up one and tear it down and use the steel mesh doors / side panels, etc.

eg. note the mesh and/or glass panels

http://tokotun.com/562-610-thickbox/fortuna-close-rack-19-20u-depth-900.jpg

http://tokotun.com/Fortuna/562-fortuna-close-rack-19-20u-depth-900.html

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 17:14

I would strongly urge you to avoid glass. Unless it is both Tempered & Heat certified your asking for a make potential. One tap by toy and smash.... your concern is kids, kids + toys and heaps can happen fast... I KNOW ! Hot glass & liquids also very bad... again thinking of toddler with cuppy or... My Kids called me Mr Safety or Safety Dad @ the park, well they grew up safe & sound so who cares. It was weird when the other kids started calling me that too...

I was going to suggest maybe welding up a 180 deg metal ring (top & bottom) with solid ribs & 1 solid rib @ 90deg point. Weld some nicer mesh or even patterned metal there... Like a Fire-screen but a half moon... You could even hinge it to cover the whole circumference around the stove. Rib being a tube.

Something like this below but goes around.
Fire-screen

If you google "patterned metal fire screen" have a peek at the vast amount of possibilities and invent your own.

Got a personal Logo or Design that you love ? Something One of a Kind & of the Finest Kind !

creeky
# Posted: 24 Aug 2016 16:49

Quoting: KinAlberta
We even put a short (small-dog) wire fence around our campfires when our child was learning to walk and run

what a good idea. says the kid who jumped into the fire ... really. my grandfather said, boo trying to grab me, and I jumped right back into the fire.

what happened to the world where kids weren't to precious to let burn?

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 25 Aug 2016 16:57

perhaps something like this

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Heating-Ventilation-Cooling-Home-Comfort /Heating/Chimney-Supplies/Black-Pipe-Sgl-Wall/Adjustable-Black-Stove-Pipe-Heatshield/ _/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/No-48/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5535343?Ntt=stove+pipe&Num=0

KinAlberta
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 17:52

I've actually got one of those pipe heat shields that I'll be installing. There's probably lots of people that could use those, thanks for posting.

However, the back midriff of our stove also has the cast damper/outlet as well, where the chimney piping mounts to the top. As a kid I recall seeing almost looking red hot.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 17:55 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: Steve_S
I would strongly urge you to avoid glass. Unless it is both Tempered & Heat certified your asking for a make potential. One tap by toy and smash.... your concern is kids, kids + toys and heaps can happen fast... I KNOW ! Hot glass & liquids also very bad... again thinking of toddler with cuppy or... My Kids called me Mr Safety or Safety Dad @ the park, well they grew up safe & sound so who cares. It was weird when the other kids started calling me that too...

I was going to suggest maybe welding up a 180 deg metal ring (top & bottom) with solid ribs & 1 solid rib @ 90deg point. Weld some nicer mesh or even patterned metal there... Like a Fire-screen but a half moon... You could even hinge it to cover the whole circumference around the stove. Rib being a tube.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm reconsidering the tempered glass option even if I could get a bit of distance in between. If would be a lot of work that could end up being a 'fail'.

Saw a curved plant trellis. Now thinking a couple of those with a thin heat shield or tile shield close to the back, might be a minimalist approach. Maybe adding some metal screening for fingers on the outermost layer.

http://images.prod.meredith.com/product/57e229746a003cc102cd6ec0ff6c8852/caeee6a76679 68dc87cb2309bab7626121413c7cb73e1425e008a51b58dbd480/l/panacea-romantic-curved-trelli s-black

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.