Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane lighting installation
bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 18:52

I'm seriously considering running 3/8 copper tubing through the walls and installing propane light fixtures. I have no experience with this kind of thing. I read up on the plumbing code and there's not much there beyond basic gas piping requirements. Any tips, experiences, etc. to share?

One thing I encountered in the code is that you are prohibited from using copper tubing for gas delivery when the gas has a sulphur content above a certain level. I think, but haven't confirmed, that most propane doesn't have a sulphur content high enough to matter. Anyone familiar with this?

I'll be supplying propane from two 40 lb bottles with some kind of RV regulator setup.

Thanks

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 19:34

No confirmation about the sulphur content, but my dad built our family cottage in 1976 with 3/8 copper tube going to 2 propane lights. I haven't been back to it for a few years but at that point they were still working just fine. I've installed the exact same setup in my last two cottages. My only complaint is they aren't all that bright, tough to read by, and in the summer they give off a lot of heat. That part is nice in the winter, I run them to help warm the place up. About once every 5 years depending on use, pull them apart and clean the orifice and they brighten up some.

all mine have run off 20 or 30lb propane tanks and tank mounted regs.

FishHog

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 20:20 - Edited by: darz5150

I believe that copper is a no go for natural gas not propane. ( chemical reasons)
I have a 250 gallon tank that the propane company installed and fills. It has copper coming off the tank regulator, then to a lower pressure regulator, then into the cabin.
I am glad you posted this. I have a couple gas lites that I salvaged from campers that I want to put in the cabin but haven't gotten around to yet.
They had copper supply lines in the campers.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 22:42

Thanks for the input.

Evidently the sulphur in natural gas causes some kind of corrosion of the copper, which leads to flakes of corrosion that then clog up the appliance. I saw reference to a type of copper pipe that was lined inside with zinc to circumvent this problem, but they said it's no longer available. Anyway it's irrelevant with propane, I guess the propane manufacture process eliminates the sulphur from the petroleum when it is broken out as a fraction.

darz5150
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 23:31 - Edited by: darz5150

Thank you for posting this topic. And also for some of the other things you post, helping others sort out things that they might need some help with.
Now I have to remind myself to finally install the propane lights that are in my barn full of " don't throw that away" things that once were one mans trash, but my collection of antiquated yet still useful inventions. LOL🔫📻

rachelsdad
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 08:18

I have 6 in my camp. I took out the propane heater since they throw off so much heat!!

They do throw off a pretty light

deercula
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 09:02

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/2_2817_0.html

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 13:11

bldginsp:

You'll remember a year or so ago you were a big help when I ran a new LPG trunk line and split off for all my appliances.

I have 4 Humphrey wall mounts, each on a separate feed, and they are great.

They'll warm you up on chilly days/nights.
They create wonderful mood lighting in the evening.
They say they are about equivalent to a 60 watt bulb in lumen output. I'd say perhaps somewhere between 40-60 watts, but once your eyes adjust you can read by the light of just one.
Sometimes i turn one way down low for a night light.

They do create a bit of CO. I believe the only reason my detector registers one of them is because it's mounted a bit too closely.

Don't bother buying the expensive preformed mantles. I've seen no difference between them and tie-on mantles in terms of brightness.

Hope this helps!

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 19:35

Thanks deercula and bobrok and all-

One thing I'm wondering is whether the shutoff valve on the lamp meets the requirement for a valve at each appliance, or whether I should have a separate shutoff valve before the lamp. I'll ask the building dept. and see what they think. Not that they, necessarily, know exactly what the code says themselves. Ha ha!

old243
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 21:07

We use gas lights at our hunt camp. We use the formed mantles, have had comacauzy (spelling) flies , damage them. I like them , nice and quiet. We have a generator as well , but usually let it run out of fuel, after supper is completed. Ideal time for a quiet nap. You can adjust the flame output by varying the air, gas mixture. there is a ring you turn to allow more or less of the air holes to show , and clean orifice as fish hog mentioned. They are served by copper lines, several do have a separate valve, more for convenience. old243

spoofer
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 21:50

I would just by a 100 watt solar kit and install 12 volt led's Less $ and no propane to worry about. Brighter light and no propane to buy.

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 22:19

I referenced the 'plumbers' bible' and installed a shutoff in each feed line for each appliance underneath my floor. You're doing all the work. Why take shortcuts?

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 7 May 2017 19:28

We run propane lights at our cabin, head's up thieves like small copper line as much as the larger stuff. (They ripped our flex lines out of the walls) When we replaced them we used a black iron connection from outside to inside, and created a manifold where we installed a fitting that if it senses a disconnect or gas flow, it will shut the line down for safety. From there we have the appliance connections that go off to the fridge and the range, and we have 1/4 flex copper line to the lights, each line/appliance has a shut off as it leaves the manifold. Used the flaring tool for the copper and reconnected them back up. They aren't super bright, but they give off as nice warm look, and you can read by them if you are close enough.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.