Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What A Deal!!
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 15:35 - Edited by: MtnDon

Talking with my contacts....

Rapid shut down: Enphase eliminate the need for the rapid power down system as they don't pass power from the panel unless the grid is present. Pull the master on the wall by the meter and it all goes dead.... advantage to enphase.

AFCI: AFCI is only NEC required when the DC voltage is above 80 volts. Enphase operates at single panel voltage.... advantage to Enphase.

Plus I could easily then point 3 panels east, 6 south and 3 westerly... or something like that.....

No batteries. Grid has been reliable here. I am not building for doomsday. Plus the budget has a big void where the batteries would be. And in the case of a doomsday the city or suburbs is not likely to be where you want to be with lights still showing. Enphase does not lend itself to an easy battery system.... disadvantage if battery storage is wanted.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 15:58 - Edited by: MtnDon

Oh, and they say that most DC side AFCI related problems seem to come from poorly torqued connections or someone using wire nuts and other installer issues. Some blame can be attached to the firmware used. They prefer to use junction or connecting blocks where each wire has a set screw they can torque. Then go back in a week and re-torque everything. Also if even the tiniest piece of wire insulation gets under a screw that is a problem.

Totally off topic... (I reminded myself with the insulation reference above) apparently some cars are now using a soy based wire insulation. That is to make future recycling easier. However, rodents like the soy based insulation even more than the older insulation.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 18:39

Enphase has a battery solution. Its very expensive tho. Over $1k/kwh. Yup.

Sue went enphase of course. As per the pics I posted. She was just thinking about shading as AFCI and rapid shut down weren't code at that point. Lots of tests show that, despite the cost, the microinverters outperform.

Makes sense about the torque. Still, saw a lot of posts where it looked to be the inverter. Hopefully firmware fixes that.

That's what I like about Morningstar controllers. Those firmware updates kept adding value (like being able to program a lithium charge profile).

And good point for those diy installing. Double check your torque. Yes. I use a torque wrench. But the old "good'n'tight" works.

And, the washer always goes on top... smile.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 18:48

Quoting: creeky
Enphase has a battery solution. Its very expensive tho. Over $1k/kwh. Yup.

Saw that. Basically impractical from $$ point of view.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 15:00

We re-accessed our power use, are second guessing our utility company..... The panels now belong to a friend and I made $100, but had to transport them 12 miles.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.