Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Filter for Shurflo
Smawgunner
# Posted: 20 Feb 2017 14:59

I'll be pulling water from my rain barrel. It'll have a basic filter for leaves and debris, but I'd like to put a filter before the pump to take out the finer things before it reaches the pump and hot water tank. This water is NOT for drinking. I don't want to bog down the pump with it. Anyone else have a similar set up? Trying to find who might sell such a filter ...
Thanks!

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Feb 2017 15:01 - Edited by: MtnDon

Shurflo Threads into the inlet port of the pump

Smawgunner
# Posted: 20 Feb 2017 17:16

That'll do! Thanks Don.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Feb 2017 23:20

Depending on how much stuff is in the water a small filter like that may fill quickly. Looks easy to remove and clean, but you'll need valves to isolate it.

You could make a larger pre-filter by taking a two foot length of 2 or 3 inch ABS, drilling lots of holes in it and covering it with filter cloth or burlap. Put that in the tank at the outlet. It will grab the larger pieces so they don't clog up the finer, final filter.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 08:47

I had that set up, with the above filter connected to my Shurflo pump. It is not a very good filter as it seems to bog down the pump. I ended up discarding mine.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 10:06

Mine does collect a small amount, a very small amount, of debris. That is better collected than perhaps getting stuck inside at one of the pump valves. That can cause internal leaks that allow pressure to drop. That in turn will cause the pump to cycle un-necessarily. I can't say I can see/hear any loss in performance. My pump is in the ideal position at the bottom level of the tank. Performance is reduced as the pump is raised above the bottom tank level.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 23 Feb 2017 08:37

Quoting: MtnDon
I can't say I can see/hear any loss in performance. My pump is in the ideal position at the bottom level of the tank. Performance is reduced as the pump is raised above the bottom tank level.

That's a great idea. I am going to consider moving my pumps location. I currently have it positioned almost level with the top of the tank due to convenience.

Durk
# Posted: 8 May 2017 19:29

I have slightly different questions on the subject of water filtration using a Shurflo pump. The pump is rated at 3 gallons per minute. I'd like to use a simple whole house filter with just a 10 micron filter to keep out sediment. I will be hauling water from a spring on a mountain in Montana and storing it in a plastic tank. There shouldn't be much foreign matter. This is not drinking water. My pump is located about 5 feet above the water level, close to the 6 feet that Shurflo specifies. I do have the Shurflo screen strainer installed on the inlet side.

My questions: will I be able to install the filter before the pump or will it make it too hard for the pump to pull the water through it? It seems like with only a coarse 10 micron filter the pump should be able to draw through it. Has anybody put such a filter ahead of a Shurflo? If that wouldn't work would it work installed after the pump? The inlet/outlet openings on the filter housing are for 3/4 inch fittings. Thanks in advance.

ICC
# Posted: 8 May 2017 21:29

I don't know about the filter but I was disappointed with the performance of a Shurflo that was positioned only 2 feet above the tank upper level and it got worse as the tank water level dropped. The flow rate was reduced a noticeable amount so I went back to placing the pump at the bottom level even though that was a more difficult place to put it.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 8 May 2017 22:02

Putting any filter or other constrictive object in front of a pump will make the pump less able to pull uphill as well. I would put the pump below the water if at all possible. If not, I would consider putting the filter after the pump unless you have a lot of chunks that would not go through the pump. Another alternative (if geometry allows) would be to put in two barrels, one higher than the other. Connect them with a short line and put the filter in that line and allow water to filter slowly into the lower tank. This would be easier on the pump to pull the filtered water uphill when needed.

My two cents.

Durk
# Posted: 9 May 2017 19:10

Thanks for your input. I found a sediment filter at Lowes, (HD has it too, of course) in the well equipment area that I plan to use on the incoming water line to my tank as it is filled. The company is Pro Plumber and it has a maintainable mesh filter and a drain valve to flush out the bowl. It appears to be exactly what I need. The inlet and outlet ports are large, (set up for 1 inch pvc) and there is virtually no restriction. I think it would be useful for keeping the big chunks of crud out of a variety of do it yourself water systems. Check it out.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.