Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tractor PTO operated generator
bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2017 22:46 - Edited by: bldginsp

This is a pretty good idea if you have a tractor and not a generator yet. I have no idea what the quality is, but 10-15 kw is certainly a lot of juice. Even smaller tractors are usually 15-20 hp. I think I would consider this as a long term emergency backup as well. It would probably do just fine with a smaller tractor at just above idle. But- it may require the full 540 rpm of the PTO- I don't know- but if so the tractor will use a lot more fuel.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Winco-TDM76/p9541.html?gclid=CN7Og-H3wNICFV6 2wAodj68NeA

What's shown here is a separate trailer that they sell for $350. You have a choice of different generators that can be mounted to it from 10kw up to much more. The 10kw is $1400.

Driving in the California Central Valley up to my cabin I pass agricultural land, a lot of orchards, and of course a lot of wells. One of these wells has a semi tractor permanently parked there at the well, apparently used to pump the water. Don't know if it's a direct mechanical connection or if it generates power to operate an electric pump.
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Mar 2017 07:00

Had a set up like that when I was growing up. Works great when you have tractors on a farm

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.