Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water pump 12 v or 110?
rachelsdad
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 04:59 - Edited by: rachelsdad

Getting near the finish line here. I think I have my final system for power figured out.

I'll be running panels on boat house roof to charge controller to batteries then to inverter in boat house main level. I'll be running 110 v apprx 100' in underground conduit to house. Found a good installer up there...he does a lot of solar install and I referred him to this site...he was impressed!!

So...do I run a 110 water pump off my tank or do a smaller solar array for a 12v pump near the house? Canopy is pretty heavy near house, so I may not be able to get good sun. Or I could charge w generator

Would love some recommendations for a 110 pump please, distance from tank to kitchen/bath will be less than 25 ft.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 06:18

Well, I have a deep well pump (Grundfos SQ-5) which is a 120v, soft start that is solar friendly in a 230' deep well. I have a 50 Gallon Pressure tank next to the well. It's in the Pumphouse / Powerhouse (same building) which is 50' +/- from the cabin with the water lines running underground of course.

Grundfos is not the cheapest BUT when it comes to reliable water, that's not the place to scrimp on by doing it half way. The "Soft Start" is essential for solar systems, you do not want to have a heavy pull on your power to start the pump up. The pressure tank keeps the pressure up and takes the little lag on startup out of the equation.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 20:08

I personally would go with 110V if you already have the inverter with your solar system. It would just be simpler than setting up a separate solar system with battery just for the pump. Sure, you will lose a bit of power converting from 12V (or 24, or 48) to 110 AC, but given the little amount of time you are running the pump, it is minimal (unless you are pumping a lot of water).

My two cents.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 20:19

Atlincabin, you $.02 is very helpful. I agree. We don't plan on a ton of water besides doing dishes 2x day, an occasional shower for wife, and hmmm lemmee see....2 girls..6,567 flushes per day.

Steve S: I'll be filling the tank via a generator powered pump, (guess In should have been more specific), drawing from surrounding water, (island cabin). I am still debating the pressure tank.

My need is for an under cabinet pump

And yes I agree, not a place to skimp. The Grunfos look wonderful

Thanks!!!!!

creeky
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 20:19 - Edited by: creeky

I use shurflo 110v. I am closer to my water supply than you. 10-15 ft. They only had 2088s when I installed. But I think the 4008 is available now in 110.

Checked online. Yup the "revolution" is available in 115v now.

Btw. I have the 4008 in 12v as a yard pump. I've frozen these pumps. Run them dry for hours. They're great pumps.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 23 Mar 2017 20:24

creeky: my water is much closer than my batteries....maybe 30' max.

the 4008 looks to be the ticket

rachelsdad
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 09:06 - Edited by: rachelsdad

Ok,

How can I estimate the load the 4008 pump will draw based on weekend use primarily. Quick dish washing, 2-3 max showers per weekend, (we swim primarily) and 3-5 people for water closet.

Just want to make sure I have it correct.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 23:46

Not much. Info online says the pump draws 7.5Amps max, so 12V x 7.5A = approximately 100watts - 0.1kWh. I would be surprised if it ran more than an hour over the course of a weekend with the use you describe. There will be slightly more draw than what the pump says due to startup draw, but not a lot. Just my guess, but a 100W panel and battery should be sufficient to do the job since you have all week long for the battery to get recharged. All you need is an hour of sunshine to replace the power used. If you're worried about it once you have redone the calculations (don't trust me entirely....), just add 50% panel capacity - solar panels are pretty cheap these days.

rachelsdad
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 10:43

Outstanding sir...and yes I always overestimate.

Thank you so much. That jives with my figuring as well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.