Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Got electric car, now the fun begins
groingo
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 17:40 - Edited by: groingo

As with most best thought out plans there must always be a plan B....couldn't find one to rent so bought this one.
Word to the wise, if you are looking at Leaf's buy a diagnostic app called Leaf Spy (about $30.00) and well worth it which will tell much more about the cars condition than the dealers.
The plan for now is to use grid power until I can get the solar set up to charge the car and I am not looking at a traditional off grid solar charger, I want to charge the car as I do my house batteries directly from the panels.
Most know me, never satisfied with the status quo.

The picture is of my very own "Odd Couple"...the Vic and the Leaf....total opposites and the Metro now residing in its private shelter.
1490821079640.jpg
1490821079640.jpg

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 18:36

I would love to do the same. Let us know how it goes.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 09:20 - Edited by: bldginsp

I'm in Silicon Valley and see a lot of electric cars, and a fair number of people with grid tie solar and car chargers. Have not heard a single complaint about any elec car brand. But 'range anxiety' and charge times are still issues.

So now they have the hydrogen cars. Toyota Mirai and others. Not many filling stations yet, but the cars go far between fillups and fill quickly. For these reasons perhaps they will replace the electrics.

You can make your own hydrogen with solar or grid electricity. There is plenty of existing hydrogen generation technology out there already, but not much scaled to the residential user. But it should work fine- making hydrogen is easy, and storing it in standard gas bottles works fine. The hydrogen production can be timed to daylight hours when the solar is producing. There are a few manufacturers offering this kind of thing but it isn't in mass production yet like solar panels and inverters.

Could be that such hydrogen production will replace off-grid batteries. Once you have the stored hydrogen, all you need is a fuel cel to make electricity. Might need one or two batteries to handle initial loads before the fuel cel kicks in, but basically you would have as much wattage available to you as your fuel cel could produce and your hydrogen storage permits. And no worries about damaging batteries by drawing down the charge too much.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 11:23

Congrats.

You should be able to tie your solar with Enphase inverters directly into a subpanel before your 240 charger. The power will go direct to the batteries.

Good luck.

groingo
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 11:48

The only drawback I have found going directly panel to car is all charging has to be done in daylight hours.

Wilbour
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 18:07

Kinda off topic but that's what I do....

So I saw a review of the latest (4th gen) electric Smart Fortwo. It's not yet available in North America. Then I read that starting 2018 (I believe ) all smarts will be electric. No more fossil fuel smarts.

Only 100 mile radius so it's definitely a city car that's always plugged in when not in use.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 23:16

Mercedes is also negotiating with their union. The largest engine plant is being converted to electric motor and transmission mfctr. Seeing as the motors are so much simpler, what to do with that workforce?

G. I thought you were hooking up to the grid? So you can do net-metering? Put it in during the day, take it back at night.

Or charge during the day.

Battery backup is another option with a bimodel inverter. That's what i'm building now. But net-metering is cheaper.

groingo
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 22:17

Things took a turn today for grid power, the L&I inspector was supposed to check the power box for safety and he said the entire power system need to be brought up to current code.
long story short, I will again be investing that money into myself rather than PSE and will be looking to move ahead with the solar car charger.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Mar 2017 23:28

groingo, will they not sell you the 220V car charger set up? Or not able to wire it in? If you have 220V service, can you wire it yourself? I know they can charge with a 110VAC charger too, just takes twice as long.

Back in the late 90's, Toyota made and sold electric RAV's, but only in California. Some guy on Hawaii wanted one, must have had plenty of $$$, he buys a home in California, buys the all electric RAV4 and has the charger professionally wired into his Cally home, then proceeds to remove it, shipped the RAV4 and the charger set up to Hawaii and sells the house.

Toyota has a special Prius called the Prius Prime, its super high tech, AC system itself is a heat pump, it used the GPS to learn your route to work and will calculate in your braking to figure in total charging.
133MPG's http://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 21:16

Interesting that Toyota is not making any all electric vehicles now, from what I gather. They have a full range of hybrids, and plug in hybrids, but the plug ins only go 25 miles electric only. Perhaps they are banking on hydrogen development. Here's some progress in home hydrogen generation, which could work off grid in tandem with solar to fill your tank with H made from H2O-

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108482_simplefuel-home-hydrogen-fuel-dispenser-w ins-1-million-doe-prize

paulz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2022 20:11

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a used Fiat 500 electric from my neighbor.

In the news today:

California approved a plan last week to end the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035, making it the first state to try to switch exclusively to electric and other zero-emission vehicles.

But now state officials are telling drivers not to charge their electric cars during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, when temperatures are expected to hit triple digits for millions of residents, putting a strain on the power grid.

So in the future, if the state, country, or world were to go full EVs, what's the plan to provide enough juice?

Steve_S
# Posted: 4 Sep 2022 11:38

Quoting: paulz
But now state officials are telling drivers not to charge their electric cars during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, when temperatures are expected to hit triple digits for millions of residents, putting a strain on the power grid.

We gonna Chicken Little a bit by omitting specifics ?

California’s Independent System Operator (ISO) issued a Flex Alert notice, calling for EV drivers to have a day of “voluntary electric conservation,” and suggests that Californians charge their electric vehicles before 4 PM — a situation that seems to really only be feasible for those who work at home or have access to workplace charging, as GreenCarReports’ editor, Bengt Halvorson points out. “There was no particular outage or technical reason for the alert, the California operator explained—simply that it’s hot,” writes Bengt, “and electricity demand is up due to air conditioning use.”

This is the third consecutive day of “voluntary” conservation advised by the ISO this week, and the fact that it also happens to be a day that many EV drivers probably expected to be able to make use of a DC fast charger on the way out of town for the long weekend just highlights the fact that there’s a lot of infrastructure work still to be done … but— hey, that’s what all that NEVI money is literally for!

Paulz, I'd expect better from you as you are generally well informed but your post is almost Alarmist, seriously....

Renewable Power is being deployed En Masse and more charging infrastructure is also going out to the curb on scale as well.

Keep in mind also that a Record Numbers Of Solar Panels Were Shipped In The United States During 2021 and there is good reason for that ! REF: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=53679

The 2022 EV Charging Station Report: State-by-State Breakdown
REF: https://zutobi.com/us/driver-guides/the-us-electric-vehicle-charging-point-report

Last Point to Ponder as well... MANY People can & do charge their EV's at home, the Tipping Point has arrived where many of these "Home Chargers" are also backed by residential Solar Sytems quite often including batteries as well. This in turn negates pulling power for the "Grid Beast". What will the picture look like in 5 Years as Solar Installations are going up exponentially as well as Grid Scale systems such as Wind with Battery Bank Farms and more...

ICC
# Posted: 4 Sep 2022 13:32

Electric vehicles are here and more are on the way. Changes present challenges in implementation and as great an effort to change mindsets. Have to get used to the idea.

curious
# Posted: 4 Sep 2022 13:46

When looking at news one must read more than the headline. Too much of the media presents everything in a manner designed to be sensational.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Sep 2022 13:22

Stranded Tourist with Dead Electric Car Helped by West Virginia Coal Miners

Remember, a battery doesnt produce energy, it only stores it. Where does the energy come from? Coal fired power plant, natural gas fired power plant? I see with natural gas being turned off to Europe after a certain person told them not to be dependent on said country for their natural gas, they didnt heed his warning and smirked at him.

They are now bringing coal plants back online to the energy grid.

OK, southern states, lots of sun, solar panel might be great. How about northern latitude states?

If its a good idea, govt wont need to ban sale of gas vehicles. (force people into electric)

People will move there naturally if it works.

Has anyone seen the absolute failed test of EV trucks pulling a camper, the Ford did the best, 94 miles was it.

Hybrid ie gas and electric is a better option. I own 2 hybrids, a 12 Prius V wagon and a 19 RAV4 AWD.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Sep 2022 20:06 - Edited by: Nobadays

Electric vehicles are likely the future.... but maybe California has got the cart before the horse. Our current(read that again) electrical production/grid is not capable.... apparently according to what we see in California.... of handling household power needs let alone vehicle charging. Could you imagine if the percentage of gas vs electric was reversed! Yikes!

Sorry Steve.... you're reaching into the future.... we ain't there yet... cart before the horse.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 07:54 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: Nobadays
But maybe California has got the cart before the horse.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 20:57

You know a good option to have your electric car but can do without charging stations if you had to, get the Prius Prime or RAV4 Prime, these are plug in hybrids.

Treat it like all electric, but if you want to travel further without anxiety, it has a gas engine and the same size in the hybrid, makes plenty of power.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 21:21

I was expecting we would move into the brave new world incrementally;ie, good hybrids for many and straight EV's for those that they are good for now.
Isnt that how things used to be done?

paulz
# Posted: 8 Sep 2022 12:00

Quoting: gcrank1
Isnt that how things used to be done?

It's no secret the governor has his eyes on the presidency, imo that has something to do with it.

We're on our 8th day of consecutive Flex Alerts, and some rolling blackouts, but should cool off by Saturday. Tuesday was a barn burner, and I had to drop by my city house, it was 110F or so. I don't have AC, and when I dropped into a couple of stores on the way back to the cabin it was amazing, super cool (and refreshing) inside. I can only imagine the power it takes to cool all those large buildings, let along residences. Which of course goes for the whole country.

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Prius Prime or RAV4 Prime, these are plug in hybrids.

Sounds good but I'm a pickup man, they seem to be lagging behind in hybrid/EVs.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Sep 2022 15:31

Quoting: paulz
Sounds good but I'm a pickup man, they seem to be lagging behind in hybrid/EVs.

Nope, here now, see the Tundra hybrid truck.

NorthRick
# Posted: 8 Sep 2022 16:14

Yeah, I'm not buying a hybrid anything, especially a truck. You get the worst of both worlds, an ICE engine to take care of and the electronics and batteries of an EV to take care of.

No thanks. I'll stick with an ICE truck until EV trucks become both more affordable and comparable performance wise. I really could care less how fast an EV goes from 0 to 60, which seems to be the statistic most often quoted. I need a truck that can pull a load in 0*F temps for 300 miles without charging and not cost $80K.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Sep 2022 21:30 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: NorthRick
I need a truck that can pull a load in 0*F temps for 300 miles without charging and not cost $80K.

And I'm good with that. I believe in the choices vs forced. I drive an 8,100 lb RAM crew cab long bed 4WD diesel truck and love it. Its my go to cabin rig.

But there is upsides to hybrids. But the truck system is new and not refined. The passenger rigs and AWD are dialed. A hybrid or a plug in hybrid can operate without ever having to plug in.

Downside to my hybrid RAV4 is I dont have a drive belt to replace, no alternator to ever replace, no starter to replace, and in my 4WD one, no transfer case at all or even a rear driveshaft. Oh, trans axle consist of just a pair or brush-less electric motors, a simple planetary gear set and a final drive. No torque converter, no lock up clutch, no valve body, no accumulators, spool valves, one way clutches, no clutch packs, brakes bands, no valve body, no hydraulic fluid or filter, no dozen shift solenoids, no ATF fluid. Just a little gear lube in the final drive.

Good news, an HV battery for a hybrid is less than an automatic transmission by quite a bit.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Sep 2022 17:43

Couldn't help myself....
306008215_6248479956.jpg
306008215_6248479956.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2022 21:14

Quoting: Nobadays
Couldn't help myself....

No way would I ever own an only electric car. Anxiety and stress be too high. And of course, toting around a gas generator like above.

darz5150
# Posted: 13 Sep 2022 22:35

Do you have to use an inverter genny to juice up an EV?

paulz
# Posted: 14 Sep 2022 12:24 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: darz5150
Do you have to use an inverter genny to juice up an EV?

Don't know darz, would this be one?

I did the opposite for the first few years I had the cabin. My truck had the cabin batteries mounted, which charged off the alternator on the drive to and from the cabin. Cabin had a cord that plugged into the truck when I got there.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Sep 2022 12:50

With a hybrid I think Id plug into the cabin too

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.