Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Split Rail fencing options
Rooker23
# Posted: 8 Jun 2017 16:46

Looking to install some fencing. I was wondering if there was a better/cheaper/homemade way for split rail rather than picking up the pre-made stuff from Home Depot type place.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 8 Jun 2017 21:37

Find a stand of black locust, chain saw, two wedges and a 12 pound sledgehammer. One good day in the field and you will have a cheaper/homemade way that will look just like old Abe Lincoln made them 180 years ago and your billfold will weigh the same. and it will also be better, because they will last a couple of centuries.

old243
# Posted: 13 Jun 2017 17:58

Don't know your location. In our area we had cedar split rail fences. You can locate rails from a farmer that is removing a fence , to get bigger fields. A dollar or two each. . There are quite a few designs of fence construction . Depending on the type of wood . Whether the digging was good, or on rock. Worth a look on history, of fences. old243

creeky
# Posted: 13 Jun 2017 20:48

stay away from my black locust. they're in bloom and smellin' real purty.

old split rail was in fashion around here for a bit. now it goes begging. why I have a stack...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.