Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Sea Flo 12v water pump hook up
benny8
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 06:42

Hey gang. Could someone tell me how to hook up a 12v battery to my 12v Sea Flo water pump safely. I have the pump and wire leads with a switch. Can I just hook up the switch from battery to pump. It would be battery>switch>pump. Or is there something else I should have. I'm pretty handy with everything else, just not well versed in 12v wiring. The plan is to use the pump on weekends for our water supply, then take battery home and charge. Does this sound ok? What size amp/hour battery? Thank you in advance.

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 08:03

Regarding battery size - you would really need more information to decide - what is the draw of the pump? How much is it used? Does it have a higher starting draw? Then battery type makes a difference - whether a true deep cycle, hybrid or basic car battery. Likely a Hybrid - often referred to as a Marine Battery, would be the easiest and best value for this (not a good as a true deep cycle but fine for this. From this you can determine the size/capacity of the battery to ensure you do not discharge it too much on a weekend. You need to decide how you want to connect and disconnect each time (plug, alligator clips for example) and finally - most important, a fuse!!!

This is also a setup that would work well with a small solar panel and charge controller (one of the package deals - as much as I generally hate them) given that you would have a week between uses to recharge.

benny8
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 08:58

Pump says 8 amps with max of 17 amps, which I assume is start up. This pump will be supplying a pressure tank(20 gals). I would say it will probably cycle 3 times all weekend. The pump has a 2 pin connector, which the wiring harness has as well and it connects to the battery via alligator clips. How would I put a fuse to this? What size fuse? The wires coming out of the motor are 16 gauge.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 08:58

Battery, master on switch, then a pressure switch which turns the pump off when line pressure is achieved (turns pump off) then to pump.

The main switch you turn off when away or not using it.

razmichael
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 09:23 - Edited by: razmichael

Assuming this is one of the standard seaflo RV or marine pumps it will have a built in pressure switch. You only need the main switch for (as Toyota.. mentioned) to turn it off when you leave. The fuse needs to be on the positive side as close to the battery as possible. You should be able to find the online manual on seaflo site. Example Pump - nothing special needed just match the max amps plus a couple. A standard inline auto type fuse will work. 16g wire is small so watch your distance. The link above has a table for the pump I used as an example.

benny8
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 11:59

Thanks guys. Can I just clip off the positive alligator clip, install the fuse holder, then reattach the alligator clip? I was just looking at the small solar panels for recharging 12v batteries. They have a complete set on Amazon for $49.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 15 Jun 2017 13:00 - Edited by: fitzpatt

When I wired my outdoor shower and more recently a fan inside the outhouse vent to a battery and switch I did so per the attached diagram. I also installed a solar panel to keep the battery tendered. I would go with as big a panel as you can get just to be safe and in case you decide to hook anything else up to the battery later on. You can buy very inexpensive wiring kits to link everything up.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

benny8
# Posted: 16 Jun 2017 03:57

Thanks Raz, Toyota and Fitz. Appreciate the help!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.