Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Grey water in ontario
Rickant
# Posted: 20 Jun 2017 18:47

Just wondering if anyone here has installed a grey water system in Ontario to code? I understand the principles but just wondering how much work it is in practice. Especially if it will be inspected.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 Jun 2017 19:21

I built my system beyond spec and no issues BUT (there's the gotcha) not every county/region is accepting of them, mostly due to a lack of knowledge & understanding. In some cases though it is warranted because some people insist on doing it their way (not the right way) and causing troubles for others as a result.

Mine is built with drain from cabin to insulated filter/catch (using cedar chips now but will switch to clean straw).

The Catch bin then feeds into a buried 44 Gallon (Olive Barrel) which acts as the dry well.

The drywell then has 2, 4" O-Pipe Drainage Tile (with screen) running 40' down slope (SW direction). The O-Pipe is 6' to 8' deep sitting on a 20" wide 6" deep drainage gravel bed, topped over with another 6" of drainage gravel then landscape cloth and backfilled over with the sandy loam from the land.

2 essentials for yr round in Ontario... below the frost line ! that's as obvious as it gets the 2nd, drain downslope towards the south whenever possible... You want to ensure your water flows down and away, sounds harder than it is.

Suggestion, if your "friendly" with your building inspector and they seem reasonable and calm when talking to them... (note that if they get edgy - not a good sign = not comfortable with the idea) you might ask if they have seen other installs and if they have any suggestions, recommendations of specs that they require.... be casual & relaxed and definitely not pushy about it, approach it as a curiosity exercise and take it from there. Often most Townships will have somethi9ng posted on their websites in this regard... EXPERIENCE has taught me to watch for "friendly signs" like they have a lot of seasonal recreational (not just lakeside) and or allow for hunt cabin and yearly recreational sites as well... (BTW never found one within 150 kms of a major city - Pembroke Pettawawa excluded).

hope it helps Rick...

BTW: I used "The Humanure Handbook" and the "Wells & Septic Systems" 2nd edition guide as my reference and my Bldg Inspector saw that and saw how I was doing it and no issues... He in fact was happy that I researched what I was doing as there has been problems with others in the past... The alternatives were full on commercial unit$$$$...

http://humanurehandbook.com/

https://www.amazon.ca/Wells-Septic-Systems-Max-Alth/dp/0830621369

Rickant
# Posted: 20 Jun 2017 20:00

Thanks. The building inspector suggested as an alternative to a full septic that a class 1 and 2 - compost toilet or privy plus a grey water solution would work. So yours meets code? Ours would only be for three season so trying to figure out the simplest cheapest option.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 Jun 2017 20:08

I think the idea of a "code" exists and some counties may have a municipal code - cities certainly do and it's a NO. I don't think that it is in the provincial code or federal either but I am not up to date on that but these are all about to change for 2018, so what is today, may not be tomorrow and you can't fall under grandfather rules if not completed & signed off prior to code changes. I don't know all the details of what is changing but I know they will be addressing septic, grey water & composting toilets but to what level - who knows...

Whatever you do, keep it as simple and fuss free as possible. During you design / build stage, don't do something that would block any future changes or make life miserable if you decide a change is needed.

Rickant
# Posted: 21 Jun 2017 05:30

Yes it's definitely in the obc and ideally permitted and inspected

jasond
# Posted: 21 Jun 2017 14:14

Conservation authorities are in charge of septic, I'm near Parry Sound and we are under North Bay/Mattawa conservation authority. A permit for a class 2 grey water pit is approx. $500 if you contact them they'll be happy to let you know what you need to do. I find them alot easier to deal with than the municipalityand ultimately they're the ones who will allow it or not. The municipality only governs whats above the ground.

Good luck

Rickant
# Posted: 21 Jun 2017 17:56

Ah ok. In Rideau lakes it is with the municipality

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.