Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Off Grid Electric Help
cspot
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 18:29 - Edited by: cspot

Ok. This is our situation.

First let's start with a little background information. First we got our camp about a year ago and have been staying in a camper for the last year. Basically most of our trips are weekend trips with only about 1 or 2 "week long" trips per year. Also throw in a couple of 3 day weekends. For lights we have been using a couple of solar camping lanterns that we set outside during the day and a couple of battery powered lights. We use a 2000 KW inverter generator to run A/C when it is hot and if using tools or something of that nature. During the fall and winter on most trips I don't even take the generator.

We just got our cabin built far enough that we are able to stay in it. Before I finish the inside, I plan on wiring the inside for 120 in case I ever grid tie. I can grid tie for about $3,000 plus the monthly cost. Since we use very little electric and it is only a recreational cabin, I plan on not going on-grid at the current time. Therefore I want to keep what I am doing on the cheap side. If our electric demands increase, I will simply go on-grid. Our family is a family of 5.

When we go to camp, we are outside mostly so our energy demands are pretty low. If the weather is too bad for hiking, fishing, or hunting then we are more than likely going to stay home.

Here is what I see us needing for off-grid power.

1. Lights - let's assume 5 EA 60 watt bulbs. Really only need to use these for a few hours in the evening. Is there an LED alternative that would be cheaper?
2. Electronics- Lets assume that we would have about 5 phones or tablets charging at various points during the day. Might put a small TV or something in to watch a movie on a rainy day.
3. water pump. No running water here, but plan on putting a tank with a small 110 V on demand water pump. With having to carry water, our water use is very low. LOL. It would only be for some quick showers and hand washing. No laundry or anything like that.
4. Air-conditioning. If needed I would use a generator to run. We stayed a couple of nights ago on a very hot night for our area and it wasn't that hot. We haven't even got it insulated yet. Thinking maybe just need a window fan. Would be nice to have power for this.
5. Any other appliances or needs will be propane or generator powered.

What I would like in a system.
1. Something that is pretty cheap. If the system is too expensive then I may as well tie onto the grid. I don't want to build into extra capacity.
2. Right now I don't think I want to add the solar, but would like to have the availability to do so in the future. I would like you to give me an idea of what I would need if I did. Maybe a small panel would be able to top off during the week when we are gone and also limit the need for the generator to help?
3. I want to use AC power because I want to wire everything for AC unless AC wiring would be suitable for DC.
4. I can use my generator to recharge during the day as needed but would like it to be off during the evening/night.
5. Cabin has no heat during winter so must be freeze proof. Would be nice to have battery inside cabin. Lithium?

frankpaige
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 19:10

Once you mentioned A/C and must be freeze proof, it was go with on-grid. Then you threw in those nasty words, pretty cheap.
Wish it was cheap for me. Spend the $$. You will be surprised how happy the wife will be.
Good Times for all
Frank

cspot
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 19:27

Don't think we are going to need Air-conditioning. Thinking just window fan. The downside to the electric company in the area is the minimum monthly cost is like $50 before you use any electric. Electric rate is very cheap, but for a recreational use it is expensive.

Wife would like to stay off grid.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Jul 2017 20:38

$3,000 to hookup and $600 a year for having a meter and you know that won't go down. If you consider 5 LED lights @ 10w ea will give you the same light @ far less, dual window fan's usually pretty low power.

Wiring 120 in, is likely the easiest & simplest and no, don't run DC through that. A small 45A breaker panel set for 120V, 2 or 3 circuits @ 15A should do the trick...

Solar System doesn't need to be big either, if you can get good South alignment without shade etc, (2x250/260w) or up to 2x350w, simpler MPPT controller that could handle up to 4x350w (future expandability if needed) and a 24v-2000w inverter would likely be more than enough... Batteries, 24V bank but this is where it get's a little muddy as far as Ahr needed etc... Lithium is a win, all around but you get what you pay for.

old243
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 09:01

You didn't mention the size of your new camp. In any case before you go any further, you should at least rough your cabin in, for on grid. Remember that to pass hydro inspection , at time of hook up. They will have to see the rough in before insulation wall coverings , etc. With the usage you mentioned, either on grid or off grid solar, will count up cost wise. Now is probably the time to decide the path you are going to take. Good luck old243

cspot
# Posted: 17 Jul 2017 20:41

Going on-grid really isn't an option right now. Heck with our current setup, I am probably not even spending $10 a month for running the few individual laterns and a battery powered pump for the shower.

Steve. Thanks for the suggestions.

Our camp is basically 24x24 and is a single floor.

NorthRick
# Posted: 18 Jul 2017 13:02

I'd still wire it like it was going to be on-grid. That shouldn't be too expensive for that size cabin. Take a lot of pictures of everything including wire designations to prove it was done right before closing in the walls.

Then you could connect up the generator to the power panel and you'd be able to plug things in, run a fan or AC, pump, or whatever. Later you can add a battery bank and inverter/charger so that you don't need to run the generator in order to have power. After that, you could decide to go solar, hook to the grid, or just stay with generator/batteries.

old243
# Posted: 19 Jul 2017 09:13

I agree with Rick, that the rough in costs , to do it correctly, would not be a lot . If you can do it yourself. However , you might confirm that electrical inspector, would accept pictures, of your installation, or they would need to see it before closing in. You had stated that on grid was not an immediate option, so might not apply. Have fun with your project. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.