Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My First Cabin Shower! Good but could be better
paulz
# Posted: 3 Aug 2017 16:06

Finally got my well to produce clear water, filled my water tank through a sand filter. After a day of logging and tractoring yesterday I fired up the Ecotemp L5 and hopped in the new shower. It sure felt good to finally get cleaned up without driving home. The first thing I noticed though was the power was not as strong as I'd like. My pump is a Flojet LF122202 12v, which I believe is 1GPM. My water tank sits above it, and the cabin, 20ft., so I have gravity helping. Do you guys use a larger pump?

Next, I have the Ecotemp L5 outside and turned up full blast, and control the heat with standard water valves in the shower. It was sporadic, I turned the hot on all the way and the cold enough to cool it down, but it was very hard to keep an even temp. Anyone have experience with that?

ICC
# Posted: 3 Aug 2017 17:06

The shower flow might be best if the pump matched the shower head flow rate. The code std is 2.5 GPM, but there are heads that are rated for lower flow.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 3 Aug 2017 18:38

We use ours and set the temp with the L5, no cold added.
Our pump is 3gpm, I also have a 5gpm sprayer pump but it is to much and the L5 has a hard time heating that much water. I would try using the hot only and adjust the temp via the machine.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Aug 2017 16:24

Thanks! I'm going to try a bigger pump, and using the hot only.

benny8
# Posted: 10 Aug 2017 12:26

I have mine hooked up to a Sea-Flo 5.5 GPM 12v pump and it blasts. I have cold to the L5 heater and then a braided hose from the output to the shower with a straight nipple thru the wall of the shower and the shower head and line hooked to the nipple. I control the temp. on the unit.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2017 11:05

My new 2.9 GPM Floject pump arrived, was all set to hook it up yesterday but noticed in the instructions you are supposed to have a water strainer upstream (my old pump came used, no instructions).

They recommend one for about 20 bucks, I just want to make sure I get my full blast shower, unhindered by a strainer on the suction side. Nothing to worry about? Also, I plumbed with 1/2" pipe, should I have used 3/4"?

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 7 Sep 2017 11:44

Mine has a strainer at the pump and my L5 is 50' of garden hose away. No pressure issues.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Sep 2017 11:01

Thanks, Flojet strainer coming.

benny8
# Posted: 11 Sep 2017 07:56

Same here Strainer on inlet side if pump. Pressure is awesome.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.