Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / toilet within a toilet?
paulz
# Posted: 19 Aug 2017 16:55 - Edited by: paulz

We have a standard flush toilet at our cabin, the flush contents goes into 50 gallon barrels that I bring home and dump down the city sewer. So obviously the less flushing the better for me, and urine (my wife's) sits, but when we leave the cabin I hate to leave it sitting there. And she always has to go right before we leave...

Anyway what I want to do is have a bucket of sorts that fits in the toilet bowl so I can just pour it out outside and save a flush. Like I did with the porta poty we had before (no room for that inside anymore). Before I go buying plastic buckets to try out, has anyone ever heard of a toilet liner/bucket ready made for this?

FishHog
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 09:12

I'd teach her to pee outside and save a lot of hassle

Or just use a 5 gal pail

LDamm
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 11:59

Go to a med supply and ask for a toilet "hat". It sits in the toilet for catching "samples" for urine and stool tests.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Aug 2017 13:55

Thanks, I googled toilet hat images, that looks perfect! The one in the middle that is. I'm better suited to the other two.

My wife is a paraplegic, just getting a usable toilet in the cabin was a major accomplishment. But yeah, if she could walk she'd be peeing outside with me and the dogs.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
cab.jpg
cab.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 22 Aug 2017 16:40

sorry, just trying to be funny. Not so much though. I'll leave my foot in my mouth for a while to remind myself.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Aug 2017 17:09

No worries! If I couldn't laugh at our situation half the time I'd probably just give up trying.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 26 Aug 2017 20:30

Hi Paulz, wow, I think that is fantastic that you are able to find a workable solution for you problem. I wondered how difficult it is for you dealing with the lifting and transport of 55 gal drums of waste. I just wondered if you ever thought about a composting setup there (they can be homemade or bought systems), with the wastewater diverted to a drain field. Then you just have to deal with the "solids" that just become compost, and dump into an area you don't plant things meant for harvesting (if you are a not certain of full composting). That would eliminate your need to transport waste or deal with extra (liquid). I think it is wonderful that you and your wife are able to enjoy your cabin!!

paulz
# Posted: 27 Aug 2017 17:42

Thanks! I've thought about composting but unfortunately have always had the urine mixed in. If the toilet hat that I'm getting works that would separate the urine so maybe that is now an option.

paulz
# Posted: 30 Aug 2017 20:03

Happy to report that my wife peed in the toilet hat today while I was out working, twice. Came back from working, poured it out by my usual tree, got in the truck and came home. Saved a flush. May come in handy as a urine diverter for others but a guy would need a good steady aim. Under 4 bucks, local pharmacy had them. See photo above. Thanks again LDamm!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.